Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #41
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Never had a problem using Steam, although I have heard the 'horror stories' like 'oh you have a problem, hahahaha but we still have your money'. etc
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 AM   #42
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
So you probably can't play in a random internet cafe because I assume most places like that would block you from downloading the Steam software, let alone the game software. Or at work, for that matter, not that any of us would want to do that!
I have seem people playing games on Steam at numerous Internet cafes. There used to be a gaming cafe in town where groups would do multiplayer Steam games together.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #43
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I think we've just stumbled onto a new business venture... Steam Cafes.
Steam beat you to it.

https://cafe.steampowered.com
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 AM   #44
CatKnight
All Star Starter

I'm one of those who spent a long time poo-pooing Steam and everything it stood for. When I learned my favorite strategy company (Paradox Interactive) was going to an all Steam format, I clenched my teeth and took the plunge. It's...not that bad. It's quite good actually.

For those who are still not sure what this is all about, to participate you download Steam's application. This app has two main functions that I use: A store (and yes, with a little patience there are some amazing sales), and a library.

The library lets you launch all your Steam games from one place. It isn't mandatory: You can usually still have an icon installed on your desktop. It's convenient if you have more than one game you like to play however.

It also helps with keeping track of those old games. For example: You play game X. This does mean you have to download the game. After awhile you get tired of X and uninstall it. Then, after awhile, you want to play it again. Normally we'd be scrambling to find X's disk or setup file, whereas Steam keeps a record of what you've bought through them and will instantly download again.

Strictly from an OOTP-only standpoint, is there a difference? No...no, not today. In fact, as rich pointed out it's slightly worse since Steam WILL update your game to the latest patch whether you want it to or not. Also the OOTP install will be hidden within Steam's directory making it slightly less intuitive to install mods.

The future, however, could be very interesting. Steam's multiplayer servers have a solid reputation and are built to handle games much more intensive than OOTP. Their workshop makes it much easier to distribute mods: The user only has to 'subscribe' to that mod, and perhaps check a box in game stating whether to activate that mod or not. If you decide the mod's not for you, simply don't activate it anymore.

The cloud save possibility would be particularly attractive from an OOTP point of view. Our league files can get pretty large: Having those on a cloud would make it truly possible to play our league anywhere. Also, I would think having the save on a cloud would make it faster to load while putting less potential strain on our hard drives over time.

For OOTP15 preorders, my understanding is it simply doesn't matter. You order the game, can download it here, and they'll provide a Steam key when the time comes if you prefer to load it on their service.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #45
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

OOTP 15 will be sold via Steam, but we'll never go Steam-exclusive I suppose. Steam gets 30% of the revenue, while eSellerate only gets about 8%. Do the math. The more people buy directly from us, the better.

However, obviously Steam is the most popular way to buy games on PC/Mac/Linux nowadays, and we recognize this and will indeed use Steam SDK features in our games. Not sure which ones for OOTP 15, though. Depends on how much work this is...
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM   #46
rutri01
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdummie View Post
I just don't get what advantage Steam has over buying direct. I am an old guy on computer, so trying anything new can be an adventure. I do like to play H2H, so what does one do to get Steam, or what exactly is this Steam, and is it safe to use? Thanks
also they store the games for you if you ever need to reinstall. Rxcept in my case where you change email addresses and forget your password. Then you can't get them to reset it unless you remember the original email address.
rutri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #47
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Steam could be a really good thing for OOTP. Or not. It remains to see how things will play out. But dismissing Steam or poo-pooing offhand it is just ignorant, because it's the 65-million-user elephant in the gaming room and it does a lot of things that OOTP needs really well.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #48
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
You have to install the game locally. It also installs the latest patch which in the case of v14 is not something I want.
Right, I get that now. I was just thrown off by the suggestion that you could play in an internet cafe anywhere in the world. Since I assume most places like that don't allow you to install software on the computers, I assumed that maybe that meant Steam didn't require software installation. But others quickly pointed out that you have to install both Steam software and game software.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #49
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Steam could be a really good thing for OOTP. Or not. It remains to see how things will play out. But dismissing Steam or poo-pooing offhand it is just ignorant, because it's the 65-million-user elephant in the gaming room and it does a lot of things that OOTP needs really well.
I don't think people were dismissing it. People were just saying that THEY weren't going to switch to Steam as a counter to the idea that 'everybody' would switch over.

I think Steam sounds like it is great for the game... other than that cut. Wow. That is a lot.

I'll keep buying it directly. I don't gain anything from Steam so why would I want them to get cut of the proceeds?

For those who do feel like you are gaining something from it, go nuts. Hopefully (and probably) the extra sales will help pay for that extra chunk they take from OOTP. (Markus obviously thinks so, or why would he have done it?)

````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by rpriske; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #50
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Right, I get that now. I was just thrown off by the suggestion that you could play in an internet cafe anywhere in the world. Since I assume most places like that don't allow you to install software on the computers, I assumed that maybe that meant Steam didn't require software installation. But others quickly pointed out that you have to install both Steam software and game software.
Plus the league file. This kills any portability argument. I understand cloud access but I don't want to pay for that. The concept of using steam on someone's computer or in some nebulous library halfway around the world is overblown. I don't know about anyone else but my computers are definitively personal possessions. I don't let anyone use my computers for anything other than a quick google search or to check web mail. I'd feel uncomfortable in the reverse.

This is no criticism of steam. I'm not really a gamer outside OOTP FM and FHM. I may think differently in 6 months.

In summary if one has a home based computer and a traveler they can actually play OOTP on the road where steam is no help. When there is no internet access. Just put the laptop to sleep vs exiting the already saved game to prevent multiple license checks. If really paranoid load up an old or backup game in case OOTP freezes.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #51
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Plus the league file. This kills any portability argument. I understand cloud access but I don't want to pay for that. The concept of using steam on someone's computer or in some nebulous library halfway around the world is overblown. I don't know about anyone else but my computers are definitively personal possessions. I don't let anyone use my computers for anything other than a quick google search or to check web mail. I'd feel uncomfortable in the reverse.

This is no criticism of steam. I'm not really a gamer outside OOTP FM and FHM. I may think differently in 6 months.

In summary if one has a home based computer and a traveler they can actually play OOTP on the road where steam is no help. When there is no internet access. Just put the laptop to sleep vs exiting the already saved game to prevent multiple license checks. If really paranoid load up an old or backup game in case OOTP freezes.
All of that is true, but what I'm planning on doing with OOTP15 is saving all my games to a flash drive at all times. Then, if something happens to my computer, or I use up the licenses, or maybe I am on someone else's computer for some reason, I can have Steam provide the installation files, while the flash drive provides the saved games.

I never plan to run OOTP solely through Steam. I still love having it on there as a backup, though.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #52
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Right, I agree completely. I was just shooting down the notion that someone had presented (I forget who and don't care to look back because it doesn't actually matter who it was) that OOTP on Steam means we can play anywhere we can get online with any computer.

Hypothetically speaking, if that was possible, I can see some historical buffs enjoying the ability to sit down and sim a few historical seasons just to pass the time. But since any business with public computers and internet access that cares about its business is going to block the ability to download software, making this all a pipe dream.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Did I mention that you can play your Steam games offline?

Because you totally can.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #54
Marinersfan51
All Star Reserve

I use steam for my pc gaming, but for OOTP I will continue to buy direct because I want Markus and co to get as much of the profit as possible.
Marinersfan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #55
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Did I mention that you can play your Steam games offline?

Because you totally can.
EDIT: deleted post...

i said i was going to stay out of it...and for once i'm sticking to it.

Last edited by dave1927p; 01-30-2014 at 05:57 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #56
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Too late...

Your thoughts while not known exactly can be inferred. You'll have to better next time.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
EDIT: deleted post...

i said i was going to stay out of it...and for once i'm sticking to it.
Good. Just read and learn.

Here's how you play it offline:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-agcb-2555

Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinersfan51 View Post
I use steam for my pc gaming, but for OOTP I will continue to buy direct because I want Markus and co to get as much of the profit as possible.
I'm going to buy a copy each place so that Markus gets lots of money AND OOTP is supported on Steam.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #59
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good. Just read and learn.

Here's how you play it offline:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-agcb-2555
Steam - If I want to play offline, I have to go through 6 steps.

Buying direct - if I want to play offline I have to go through....... 1 step. Click the OOTP icon and start playing.

Tough choice there.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

An additional benefit to Steam is that third party vendors commonly sell bundles of Steam games (they sell you the Steam keys, you go online to Steam and activate the games) for four to seven dollars.

Current examples:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

The Brutal Bundle

On humblebundle.com a significant chunk of that goes to charity.

The bundles change regularly, and you can pick up some sweet bargains if you watch for them.