Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

How do I convert retired player to human manager

I built up a history as I simmed the game through a player's career.

After the player retired, I was hoping that I could convert him to a human manager and manage teams as him.

I was able to convert him to a bench coach.

But I do not see any way to convert him to a human manager that I can play as.

Is this possible? How is it done?

If it is not possible, this seems to be a good feature to add.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I believe one needs to in commish mode.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
jmknpk2
All Star Reserve

I was in commissioner mode and still didn't see the option.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmknpk2 View Post
I was in commissioner mode and still didn't see the option.
Go in commissioner mode and open the retired payer's profile. Somewhere on he left side (can't remember exactly now), you'll see it listing his preferred occupation as a bench coach. It's a dropdown menu and you can change it to manager, batting coach, general manager, or whatever you want him eventually become. He'll usually start out rated lowly, but ratings increase andeentually e should be ready. Or you can always let him get hired as a bench coach or have him manage a minor league team for a few years to get experience, then change his preferred occupation to manager. If you make him a manager right away, he might never get hired (unless you screw with his ratings in commish mode).

binarycode
Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

In commish mode you should just be able to right click and there will be an option to turn them into a coach.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

All of the above is correct, as far as it goes, but the OP wants to turn the player into a human manager, not just a manager, which is something that I don't think can be done. But, I've never tried either.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Minors (Double A)

The whole class gets an F in reading comprehension.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible. However, iirc the player as player and the player as coach are treated by the game as essentially different people. When you turn a retired player into a coach, basically all you're doing is cloning the retired player and throwing him in the coaching pool.

Therefore, it would seem the best option would be to leave the player as retired and create a human manager using the retired player's name, bio, etc. It's not the same thing you asked about, but I think It will have the same result. Good luck.

binarycode
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010010 View Post
The whole class gets an F in reading comprehension.
This assumes you accept the faulty premise that the problem was with the reading and not with the writing.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
DCHepler25
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmknpk2 View Post
I built up a history as I simmed the game through a player's career.

After the player retired, I was hoping that I could convert him to a human manager and manage teams as him.

I was able to convert him to a bench coach.

But I do not see any way to convert him to a human manager that I can play as.

Is this possible? How is it done?

If it is not possible, this seems to be a good feature to add.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
This assumes you accept the faulty premise that the problem was with the reading and not with the writing.
No, the bolded "writing" above shows that the writer was quite clear and correct with his explanation of the problem. The fault then lies with the reader(s) in this case.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I have scored consistently in the high nineties in reading comprehension and I, like the rest of the thread, found the OP to be confusing.

The idea isn't that one guy (i.e., you) can make sense of something, it's that everyone could make sense of it. And none of us did.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have scored consistently in the high nineties in reading comprehension and I, like the rest of the thread, found the OP to be confusing.

The idea isn't that one guy (i.e., you) can make sense of something, it's that everyone could make sense of it. And none of us did.
Unless you're constantly repeating the 11th grade, why are you "consistently" scoring in the high nineties in reading comprehension? I'm 35 and haven't taken a reading comprehension test since the last time I took the SATs.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
CHCfan
All Star Starter

Quote:

How many people need to do something wrong before "right" is changed to match that. This really wasn't complicated -- he said "human" three times, including the title, which was the clear qualifier for what type of manager he wanted to create.

As one other person mentioned, there doesn't appear to be a way to do what the OP wants to do unfortunately. It would be a cool minor feature.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Athletics17
All Star Starter

No, the OP made complete sense.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Unless you're constantly repeating the 11th grade, why are you "consistently" scoring in the high nineties in reading comprehension? I'm 35 and haven't taken a reading comprehension test since the last time I took the SATs.
How predictable - here come the personal attacks. I wrote "I have scored consistently in the high nineties in reading comprehension" not "I score..." which indicates a reading comprehension problem on your part, or just a desire to start throwing insults and start trouble. I scored 98 or 99 every time I took one - middle school, high school, undergrad and then grad school - and I haven't been in 11th grade since I was 14. But enough about me.

After I posted that the OP was confusing - as supporting evidence I introduce the posts that immediately follow his - suddenly he makes great sense! And now people want to fight about it!

This board has way too many people looking to start a fight.

It was confusing. It confused people. End of story.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How predictable - here come the personal attacks. I wrote "I have scored consistently in the high nineties in reading comprehension" not "I score..." which indicates a reading comprehension problem on your part, or just a desire to start throwing insults and start trouble. I scored 98 or 99 every time I took one - middle school, high school, undergrad and then grad school - and I haven't been in 11th grade since I was 14. But enough about me.

After I posted that the OP was confusing - as supporting evidence I introduce the posts that immediately follow his - suddenly he makes great sense! And now people want to fight about it!

Wow, ok. I guess you missed the day they taught sarcasm comprehension. For the record, I didn't think you were constantly repeating 11th grade. Nor was I trying to insult you.

But I will politely disagree that the OP was confusing. Perhaps the crux of his question was stated later in the post than it should've been, but those who read the entire post knew what he/she was asking.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

The OP makes perfect sense, i admit i didn't fully read it, saw retired player turned into coach and responded.

I'll blame it on the time but i just skimed the post, it really does help if you read each word!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Wow, ok. I guess you missed the day they taught sarcasm comprehension. For the record, I didn't think you were constantly repeating 11th grade. Nor was I trying to insult you.
Sorry. The people on this forum stressed out my sarcasm meter so badly that it caught fire and melted years ago.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry. The people on this forum stressed out my sarcasm meter so badly that it caught fire and melted years ago.
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I hope this forum doesn't become stressful for me. It's actually one of the 3-4 websites I go to when I need a break from the stress at work.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

It's gotten much better. When I joined it was wall-to-wall flame wars 24/7/365.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:

Wrong. I don't care what you scored on anything or what grade you were in and when, you are not the final arbiter of what is confusing and what is not. Similarly, you are not free to insult people and start fights, and then complain when other people respond in a similar tone. If you don't want to be insulted, don't insult people. If you don't want to fight, don't start a fight. Seems pretty logical to me.

There was absolutely nothing confusing about the original post. It was clear as could possibly be what he was asking. That the first few people who responded, you included, were unable to comprehend such a simple question does nothing to change that fact. Accept it and move on.
Closed Thread