Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
risp2out
All Star Reserve

"Gap" Seasons

Has anyone compiled a list of "gap" seasons (for players who, due to war or injury, missed seasons after their debut but then returned)? If not, does anyone know of such a list on a website?

Thanks.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
hefalumps
All Star Starter

I am not aware of a specific list, but I too would be interested in finding this out. I ran into this problem twice when starting universes - in one I started during Jose Mesa's "gap" season (not a huge loss), but in the other I started during Carlton Fisk's "gap" season. So in the early 70s when there was still no sign of Fisk anywhere, I started investigating and discovered what had happened. I tried manually importing him into the game, but he barely even cracked the minor leagues.

There's probably a way to retrieve that kind of information from a database if you were looking at a specific year. For example, if you're starting in 1970, select all players who played in 1969 that did not play in 1970 to find anyone who had a "gap" season in 1970. I know there's an Access version of the Lahman database, but not sure exactly how you'd go about setting up a query like that.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Here is a quick brutal way to do it...

If you have excel open up the batting.csv file from the game. Sort by playerid and year in ascending order. Create a blank column.

With playerid being column "A" and year being column "B", in row two of the blank column put

=IF(A2=A1,IF(B2-B1>1,"GAP",""),"")

That will tell you how may years they missed prior to that season. From there you can save the .csv and then do some sorting but it's fairly easy to find out.

You do realize though that OOTP is supposed to create players in their gap seasons if you use neutralized statistics. There were some flaws in OOTP11 so that may be the problem your seeing.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Hi Gambo,

Yeah I think I had come up with a similar way of finding the "gap" seasons when I realized Fisk was missing, but it had been awhile since then and I couldn't remember exactly what I did.

I think I was playing OOTP 9 when I first started my league in 1970, so that's why Fisk was missed. I'm glad OOTP 11 supposedly handles "gap" seasons, but with a lot of things (like importing real rookies) I like to go behind and check to make sure OOTP isn't missing anything.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
Hi Gambo,

Yeah I think I had come up with a similar way of finding the "gap" seasons when I realized Fisk was missing, but it had been awhile since then and I couldn't remember exactly what I did.

I think I was playing OOTP 9 when I first started my league in 1970, so that's why Fisk was missed. I'm glad OOTP 11 supposedly handles "gap" seasons, but with a lot of things (like importing real rookies) I like to go behind and check to make sure OOTP isn't missing anything.
OOTP 11 does not handle gap seasons at startup, only after year one. For example, if you start a league in 1960, they'll be about 50 players or so who will never be introduced into the game who should have been. The players will will never be included are those who played prior to 1960, missed the 1960 season, then played sometime after. This is true using both real and neutralized stats. The good news is that Markus is aware of this and is supposedly fixing it for OOTP 12.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Can u manually have players miss 3 yrs due to a war and then come back ala Ted Williams and Bob Feller and others and not lose much as far as ratings?

I couldnt find a website for losing players due to war and injury every google such for "mlb war years" comes up with WAR and "WWII ml"b didnt come up with much either.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)

Try this:

Baseball in Wartime - Dedicated to Baseball Players Who Served with the Military During World War II
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Can u manually have players miss 3 yrs due to a war and then come back ala Ted Williams and Bob Feller and others and not lose much as far as ratings?

I couldnt find a website for losing players due to war and injury every google such for "mlb war years" comes up with WAR and "WWII ml"b didnt come up with much either.
This already happens in OOTP as long as you check "miss seasons according to history" and disable player development.
PhillieFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillieFever View Post
This already happens in OOTP as long as you check "miss seasons according to history" and disable player development.
sorry I meant fictional players/leagues.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
David Ball
Minors (Triple A)

Not that it matters, but if you're interested in a fictional league, then why were you asking about a website listing (real) players' service?

But anyway, you can do this by editing the player to suspend him for the appropriate length of time....of course, if you're playing a fictional league, then you arguably might not know how long the suspension should be, because you won't be able to foretell when the war will end.
David Ball is offline   Reply With Quote