Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hello,
I'm new to this game and wanting to start a sim from 1871 using historical players and teams. I have tried to create a league but can't as there is an uneven number of teams. I can't seem to even get to the page where I can edit the league structure unless I create a fictional league (but then the game won't automatically expand the leagues, etc.).

Anyone please give some insight on how to get the initial set-up for an 1871 start?

Thanks.
corkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpilot View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this game and wanting to start a sim from 1871 using historical players and teams. I have tried to create a league but can't as there is an uneven number of teams. I can't seem to even get to the page where I can edit the league structure unless I create a fictional league (but then the game won't automatically expand the leagues, etc.).

Anyone please give some insight on how to get the initial set-up for an 1871 start?

Thanks.
None of it is easy unless you accept the setup the game provides. If you're too stubborn for that (and I certainly am), you start out by altering the league structure to a single division. Rename all the teams to the historical names. Add the ninth team. You'll have to put in the actual schedule (as-played available on Retrosheet) by hand. Release and redraft.

The real problem is that you'll have to expand and contract manually up until 1901, after which the game can do it for you, and you'll have frequent changes. Even worse, the schedule, which is not all that burdensome to input for 1871, has to be done by hand every season. The generated schedules are completely inadequate for a one or two man pitching rotation. Once you're up to two leagues and 126 games per season, it will take you a couple of evenings every season just to input the schedule. Even with the game setup, the schedule is a huge problem. If you sim games and don't play them out, then you'll have a lot more fun starting in 1901.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the help.

Does this mean starting a fictional league and then importing actual rosters? Because if I start a historical league, the game won't even let me alter the league structure to get the game going. I don't mind having to do the adding/removing of teams myself and inputing the schedule, but I'm just not sure how to get to the point to do that.

If I start a fictional league and import rosters, how will the game know to automatically start doing things in 1901?

Just a bit confused on how to get the initial set up, just to the point where I can get the game to let me alter league structures and input schedules.

Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Does this mean starting a fictional league and then importing actual rosters? Because if I start a historical league, the game won't even let me alter the league structure to get the game going. I don't mind having to do the adding/removing of teams myself and inputing the schedule, but I'm just not sure how to get to the point to do that.

If I start a fictional league and import rosters, how will the game know to automatically start doing things in 1901?

Just a bit confused on how to get the initial set up, just to the point where I can get the game to let me alter league structures and input schedules.

Thanks again.
You have to let the initial historical league setup run its course. Then you alter the League Structure and schedule on January 1, release, and delete the historical players if you're going fictional. I don't play fictional solo leagues, but I know you can create fictional players in-game to populate the rosters.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

That's my problem though. If I try to load a historical league it won't even let me get through the initial set-up to alter the league structure. I always get the message about having an uneven number of teams. Unfortunately I can't alter it before I get to that point.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's my problem though. If I try to load a historical league it won't even let me get through the initial set-up to alter the league structure. I always get the message about having an uneven number of teams. Unfortunately I can't alter it before I get to that point.
An easy way to fix that is to go in to the teams csv file and delete a team from 1871 till your league is even. Oh and btw i think the teams must have AL or NL. I dont think the game accepts NA.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok, I'll give that a try. Tried emailing you the database, but it was too big.

If I delete a team from the csv file, will I still be able to manually import the same team later? Is that info stored in a different place?

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, I'll give that a try. Tried emailing you the database, but it was too big.

If I delete a team from the csv file, will I still be able to manually import the same team later? Is that info stored in a different place?

Thanks for the help.
I dont think you can import it for the year you deleted the team from since you deleted it from the database. You can import the team from its other years. You could also just make a backup of the teams file.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
You'll have to put in the actual schedule (as-played available on Retrosheet) by hand.
Not so. I posted the as played National Association schedules in the mods forum about 5 or 6 months ago.

My dynasty has fallen to the wayside, but you can get the schedules here:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...schedules.html

Last edited by fhomess; 01-13-2009 at 03:52 PM.
fhomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhomess View Post
Not so. I posted the as played National Association schedules in the mods forum about 5 or 6 months ago.

My dynasty has fallen to the wayside, but you can get the schedules here:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...schedules.html
That's great. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just went into my teams.csv file and it seems there are only 8 teams there from 1871 but there are definitely 9 when I try to start a historical league. The teams that load during set-up are the right teams, but the teams in the teams.csv file are not the same.

Even more confused now.

I did get the schedules from 1871, thanks for that. Now just need to be able to put them in!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just went into my teams.csv file and it seems there are only 8 teams there from 1871 but there are definitely 9 when I try to start a historical league. The teams that load during set-up are the right teams, but the teams in the teams.csv file are not the same.

Even more confused now.
Make a backup of your stats folder then delete everything in the folder and copy the newest version of the database to it. I just edited the database for the year 1884 and the league started with the teams i selected.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Which database did you edit exactly?

I just tried deleting a team from 1871 (the teams.csv file) and the game still loads 9 teams. It must be getting the set-up info from somewhere else, but I don't know enough about the program to know where. I opened the historical database but it's in a format that I wouldn't know what to do with, plus it just looks like players in there and not teams (but it's so big maybe I just didn't see them).

I tried using the lahman's teams file too which has only 8 teams listed for 1871 but that didn't work either.

Not sure what else to try now really so I guess I'll just start from 1901 and maybe it'll be easier to play from 1871 with the next version.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which database did you edit exactly?

I just tried deleting a team from 1871 (the teams.csv file) and the game still loads 9 teams. It must be getting the set-up info from somewhere else, but I don't know enough about the program to know where. I opened the historical database but it's in a format that I wouldn't know what to do with, plus it just looks like players in there and not teams (but it's so big maybe I just didn't see them).

I tried using the lahman's teams file too which has only 8 teams listed for 1871 but that didn't work either.

Not sure what else to try now really so I guess I'll just start from 1901 and maybe it'll be easier to play from 1871 with the next version.
I use the new database.
I think its because of that file you cant read. I seem to recall i had the same problem before. I think it may be trying to use the edited database that comes with the game. Thats why i suggest downloading the database and putting it in a folder by itself.

I dont know how easier it will be next year because its not so much a problem with ootp as much as it is the way baseball was back then. Unless we had an option to have an odd number of teams.

If you dont mind having different teams you could try reinstalling the game and use the setup the game gives you. The you just have to worry about your league options, strategy etc and maybe editing schedules.
I just edit for example a 84 game schedule and use the same one till expansion.

If you want to use the same exact teams and same exact rosters then im not sure if thats possible or not and if it is im sure it would be a pain in the butt and probably too much work and not enjoyment. Simply because of all the teams folding and league changes.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just downloaded the gambo database and it works fine with that. However, with the one that comes with the game and with the lahmans database, I get the error.

However, I'm not sure I want to play with the gambo database. I just need to figure out what is different. I've tried copying the teams folder from gambo, but that still doesn't change the set-up.

How can I download just the new database you're talking about? I only just downloaded the game from the website a couple of days ago, so I would have thought it would work.

Getting closer anyway and who knows, maybe the gambo one is as good as any, I'm just not familiar with the different ones to know which one I'd want.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe someone can clear something up for me.

In my OOTP folder I have a stats folder that came with the game. Inside the stats folder I have another folder containing all the files of the gambo database.

If I choose to load the master.csv file from the gambo folder, it loads perfectly for starting in 1871 (they have it set up with 2 divisions, with 4 teams each).

However, even if I copy the master database and the teams file and move them from the gambo folder into the stats folder that came with the game, the set up goes wrong and I still get one league with 9 teams.

So, obviously the game is getting its league set up info from another file somewhere, but I can't figure out where. Gambo has got it right somewhere somehow but I can't find where so I can copy the set up to the original files.

Anyone have in-depth knowledge of where info comes from to help me out?

Thanks again!

p.s. maybe I should just be happy and use gambo, but after reading the info file I'm not sure I want my league to use their stat set up etc.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I think your problem is the historical_database.odb file.
I recreated the problem you are having by doing a complete reinstall of ootp. Then i edited the teams file. Sure enough it gave me the same error you are having. So i just took the historical_database.odb file out of the stats folder and the game accepted the team changes i made.
You might want to keep your databases separate so that your data doesnt get corrupted and you can keep track of which one works best for you.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
corkpilot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wow,
that seems to have worked! That's awesome. Thanks for the help. Something so simple in the end as just moving a file from one place to another. That sure was frustrating.

Thanks again. We'll see how I get on now with my league.

Did you just subtract teams from your teams file or have you added teams as well?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #19
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow,
that seems to have worked! That's awesome. Thanks for the help. Something so simple in the end as just moving a file from one place to another. That sure was frustrating.

Thanks again. We'll see how I get on now with my league.

Did you just subtract teams from your teams file or have you added teams as well?

Well thats good that you finally got it to work. Now you cn experiment with what settings you want to use. But once you get everything setup i would advise that you make a backup copy before you even have your first draft.

I only added some from the AA. You dont want to be adding more teams before the American association came along because you barely have enough players for 8 teams in 1871.

Its really up to you but you might go to baseball reference and go through the leagues from 1871-1900 and make a note of the teams you will have in the AL & NL for each. Remember to make a note if a team was in the AA, UA, or PL.
Also if you need a team to change leagues. I tried to be consistent and kept the Philadelphia Athletics in the AL while leaving the other Philadelphia teams in the NL. But in some years you would have weird scenarios like 3 Philadelphia teams. I chose to delete one.

I tried not to use any UA or PL teams. I didnt really want my league going from 8 teams to 20 or more. Most of the players played one year so i dont think it will be to many players for your league if you use RAH.
Keep in mind that around 1877 you only have 6 teams. So you are gonna have to have 2 in one league for that year unless you add a year to a team that folded.
Anyways if you plan on paper, then its pretty easy cause all you are doing is adding NL or AL and deleting the other teams. You may not even have to delte the other teams cause i dont think the game will recognize a non AL or NL team. I just did it to keep it from confusing me later on.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #20
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

It started to crash when expansion came up for the 1st time.
I may be wrong but i think you have to have an even # of expansion teams.
I dont think it matters how many teams you delete or whether you add 1 to the AL and 3 to the NL as long as you have an even # of teams.

So if it starts crashing again on you it probably has something to do with that.