Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts

Old 04-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
SamP
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quickstart w/ Schedule Change Request

A while ago I set up a league that had teams only playing one game a week (possibly two on rare occasions but I'm not certain). The idea was sort of that each game was more valuable and essentially each team only required 1 starting pitcher and a decent backup in case the starter got injured, pretty straight forward. The problem was that after the first season the second year's schedule--while creating the correct number of games--created games spaced as they are in real baseball, so now teams were only playing x many games but they were playing the normal 5-6 games a week which obviously killed the league.

I'm hoping some ambitious and talented individual might empathize with my efforts and create a quickstart that somehow employs this scheduling system. For the total number of games, it was the normal April - September regular season schedule just with only one game a week per team. The playoffs were all one game elimination.

If anyone wants to accept such a challenge I would be filled with appreciation; if anyone knows that OOTP isn't set up to be able to change the number of days between games and this is impossible without manually setting up the schedule every single season I would also appreciate that insight.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
A while ago I set up a league that had teams only playing one game a week (possibly two on rare occasions but I'm not certain). The idea was sort of that each game was more valuable and essentially each team only required 1 starting pitcher and a decent backup in case the starter got injured, pretty straight forward. The problem was that after the first season the second year's schedule--while creating the correct number of games--created games spaced as they are in real baseball, so now teams were only playing x many games but they were playing the normal 5-6 games a week which obviously killed the league.

I'm hoping some ambitious and talented individual might empathize with my efforts and create a quickstart that somehow employs this scheduling system. For the total number of games, it was the normal April - September regular season schedule just with only one game a week per team. The playoffs were all one game elimination.

If anyone wants to accept such a challenge I would be filled with appreciation; if anyone knows that OOTP isn't set up to be able to change the number of days between games and this is impossible without manually setting up the schedule every single season I would also appreciate that insight.
Can't really help you, but here to say if anyone develops it I would be interested too. I have always been interested in doing a league like this .. "Big Game Baseball" ... Kind of like an NFL style league where every game is hugely important. I think it would be hard to get the AI to manage things right, but maybe not with proper settings. I think such a format would be great for an online league.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:

Real simple fix....attach the schedule your using and I'll fix the days..all I need to do is add 7 to the day="" number.
Or, if you don't mind the same matchups every year, you can get it to always use your schedule if you add future years to the end of your orginal schedule name like this.
your_schedule_c_2014.lsdl, your_schedule_c_2015.lsdl, and so on. You just add the year after the _c_ and before the .lsdl

Last edited by Bigrod; 04-16-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
SamP
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk View Post
Can't really help you, but here to say if anyone develops it I would be interested too. I have always been interested in doing a league like this .. "Big Game Baseball" ... Kind of like an NFL style league where every game is hugely important. I think it would be hard to get the AI to manage things right, but maybe not with proper settings. I think such a format would be great for an online league.
ripwalk, That's exactly what I was going for. When I edited the schedule by hand the one time it actually seemed to work really well. You have to set the normal rotation to 1 pitcher in (I believe) AI Strategy, but for the most part the computer didn't make too many stupid moves. Occasionally you'd see way more pitchers on a team then necessary but not to the point where I was ever playing against somebody and felt I had a distinct advantage for any reason. And yeah I think it'd be perfect for online play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
Real simple fix....attach the schedule your using and I'll fix the days..all I need to do is add 7 to the day="" number.
Or, if you don't mind the same matchups every year, you can get it to always use your schedule if you add future years to the end of your orginal schedule name like this.
your_schedule_c_2014.lsdl, your_schedule_c_2015.lsdl, and so on. You just add the year after the _c_ and before the .lsdl
Bigrod I'm thrilled to hear you can solve this! I'll upload a schedule when I get home today. Do you think you could explain the 'day="" number' a little bit more? The only reason I ask is because I'll likely want to use this schedule in both real (MLB) and fake leagues if it's really a quick fix. If not, I still totally appreciate you hooking up a schedule for me.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
ripwalk, That's exactly what I was going for. When I edited the schedule by hand the one time it actually seemed to work really well. You have to set the normal rotation to 1 pitcher in (I believe) AI Strategy, but for the most part the computer didn't make too many stupid moves. Occasionally you'd see way more pitchers on a team then necessary but not to the point where I was ever playing against somebody and felt I had a distinct advantage for any reason. And yeah I think it'd be perfect for online play.

Bigrod I'm thrilled to hear you can solve this! I'll upload a schedule when I get home today. Do you think you could explain the 'day="" number' a little bit more? The only reason I ask is because I'll likely want to use this schedule in both real (MLB) and fake leagues if it's really a quick fix. If not, I still totally appreciate you hooking up a schedule for me.
day="1" is always the first day of the season, add 7 to that so it's day="8" for their next game and it gives a week between games.
Another example is let's say you want 5 days off between games. In this case you'd have
day="1" for the first game
day="7" for the second game
day="13" for the third game and so on.
So what your doing is figuring (days off+1) and add that to the day= number starting with day="1" in the schedule.
Hope this makes sense and it's very easy to do in a spreadsheet using a special vlookup table with dates and predefined day=# tables.

Last edited by Bigrod; 04-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Let me know if you come up with a schedule that would work like this. I'd love to use it if you'll share.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote