Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #261
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quinn took over as Atlanta d-coordinator. Yesterday vs the Texans, who have made giving up sacks a franchise tradition, Atlanta didn't sack Watson once. They only recorded 1 QB hit while giving up 50+.

I'm surprised Arthur Blank is being so patient.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #262
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
In 2007, the Patriots went 16-0 but lost in the Super Bowl. Billicek may let off the gas in the regular season for a game or two in order to maximize chances for another super bowl victory. But yes, the Patriots are good and the AFC is relatively weak. Also, the 07 Patriots had 4 games end within 4 points or less so they got a little lucky, so luck will have something to do with it this year.
you think them playing out the regular season had any relation to them losing the super bowl that year?

they've been lucky that the other three teams in their division have been the nfl podium of incompetence for over a decade which guaranteed home playoff games every year but they were still good enough to win after that.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #263
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
you think them playing out the regular season had any relation to them losing the super bowl that year?

they've been lucky that the other three teams in their division have been the nfl podium of incompetence for over a decade which guaranteed home playoff games every year but they were still good enough to win after that.
I'm saying that winning 4 games by 4 points or less required an element of luck and if you played the 07 season again it may not end up in an undefeated season.
monkeyman576 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 AM   #264
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In 2007, the Patriots went 16-0 but lost in the Super Bowl. Billicek may let off the gas in the regular season for a game or two in order to maximize chances for another super bowl victory. But yes, the Patriots are good and the AFC is relatively weak. Also, the 07 Patriots had 4 games end within 4 points or less so they got a little lucky, so luck will have something to do with it this year.
Very tough to go 16-0. Luck has to go your way. They would have lost to the Ravens had the Ravens D coordinator not called a timeout right before a failed 4th down play by the Patriots. Game would have been over.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 AM   #265
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
It doesn't, and I was going to bring that up. The Patriots lost because they ran into a team who's D was playing out of their minds come playoff time. And lets face it, the Giants still got some luck to win that game. But really good defenses usually stop the best of offenses. We've seen it time and time again yet no one takes notice.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #266
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Only thing more weird than the Niners having the 2nd best record in the NFL is being killed with a sword, Mal.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #267
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Week 1: 6-7 Week 2: 7-9 Week 3: 11-4 Week 4: 8-7 Week 5: 7-8 Total: 39-35

LAR at SEA(-1.5) - Not a lot of confidence in the Rams defence. PICK: SEA loss

NE(-15.5) at WAS - The Patriots understandably feel like they don't need to play 100% every game. Pick: WAS loss

JAX at CAR(-3) - Vegas is going AGAINST Minchew mania?!?! Pick: JAX loss

ARI at CIN(-3.5) - If the Bengals lose they could have a leg up on the 1st overall pick. PICK: ARI won

ATL at HOU(-5) - The Texans underperformed last week but look for a rebound game this week. PICK: HOU won

TB at NO(-3.5) - I see this as a close game but I'll go with the Saints. Pick: NO won

MIN(-4.5) at NYG - The Giants are improving but not good enough to hang with Minnesota. PICK: MIN won

CHI(-4.5) at OAK - I don't see this being close. PICK: CHI loss

NYJ at PHI(-13.5) - This could be a swingy game that could go either way vs. the spread, but I'll take the Jets. PICK: NYJ loss

BAL(-3.5) at PIT - Vegas is overreacting to the Ravens poor performance last week I think, the spread should be higher. PICK: BAL loss

BUF at TEN(-3) - The Bills are actually the better team I think. PICK: BUF won

DEN at LAC(-6.5) - Don't bet on the Broncos. PICK: LAC loss

GB at DAL(-3.5) - I could actually see the Cowboys losing. PICK: GB won

IND at KC(-10.5) - The spread is too high with KC's poor defense I think. PICK: IND won

CLE at SF(-3.5) - The 49ers have to come down to earth at some point. PICK: CLE loss

-----------------

Week 6

NYG @ NE(-16.5) Pick: NE

CAR(-2) @ TB Pick: TB

CIN @ BAL(-11) Pick: BAL

SEA(-1) @ CLE Pick: SEA

NO @ JAX(-1.5) Pick: NO

HOU @ KC(-5) Pick: KC

WAS(-3.5) @ MIA - Pick: MIA

PHI @ MIN(-3) - Pick: MIN

ATL(-2.5) @ ARI - PICK: ATL

SF @ LAR(-3.5) Pick: SF

TEN @ DEN(-2.5) Pick: DEN

DAL(-7) @ NYJ Pick: DAL

PIT @ LAC(-6.5) Pick: PIT

DET @ GB(-4.5) PICK: GB
Old 10-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #268
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Week 6

NYG @ NE(-16.5) Pick: NE
Well, the spread was spot on. Still, this game was competitive until about 8:30 left in the fourth quarter. The Giants were a blocked punt, interception, and fumble away from winning this one.

Sure, that sounds like wishful thinking. My point is, they weren't blown away by one of the league's powerhouses. The defense played hard, the offense made some big plays, and special teams didn't goof up more than once!

I'm still encouraged despite this loss. Of course, when I stop posting here, it will mean things are back to normal.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:23 PM   #269
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

They really need to get rid of the challenge on PI. I just saw the NE DB hold Tate's arm so that he couldn't get 2 hands up to catch the ball & it still wasn't called PI. Allowing the challenge on this call is an absolute waste of time. I thought they made this rule so that they could get things right. They are obviously not concerned with that.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 AM   #270
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
They really need to get rid of the challenge on PI. I just saw the NE DB hold Tate's arm so that he couldn't get 2 hands up to catch the ball & it still wasn't called PI. Allowing the challenge on this call is an absolute waste of time. I thought they made this rule so that they could get things right. They are obviously not concerned with that.
The NFL needs to go back to the old rules of DBs VS WRs. This ticky tack flagfest we see every week is not making the game better.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #271
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Well, the spread was spot on. Still, this game was competitive until about 8:30 left in the fourth quarter. The Giants were a blocked punt, interception, and fumble away from winning this one.

Sure, that sounds like wishful thinking. My point is, they weren't blown away by one of the league's powerhouses. The defense played hard, the offense made some big plays, and special teams didn't goof up more than once!

I'm still encouraged despite this loss. Of course, when I stop posting here, it will mean things are back to normal.
The Giants are definately better than their record, especially considering Barkely is out. They are probably a year or two away from being able to compete with the Cowboys and Eagles in their division.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #272
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If you combined the pts the Jets & Dolphins have scored this year, they would still be last in the NFL in scoring. Winless Washington has scored only 10 pts in their last 2 & still has 8 more pts that Miami & NYJ.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #273
low
Hall Of Famer

As much as I despise ties, I'm hoping for one in the Washington and Miami game.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #274
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
As much as I despise ties, I'm hoping for one in the Washington and Miami game.
I think it should have been flexed to Sunday night.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #275
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Coaches are 1 for their last 23 on PI challenges.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #276
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok. In case no one has figured it out by now i'll give my ignorant opinion.

The refs are not overturning anything that isn't a blatant foul like what was committed in the Rams/Saints playoff game. I think the refs have made that perfectly clear. Replay is to correct something like that and nothing else. Coaches decided everything is fair game. At some point they'll figure it out.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #277
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Ok. In case no one has figured it out by now i'll give my ignorant opinion.

The refs are not overturning anything that isn't a blatant foul like what was committed in the Rams/Saints playoff game. I think the refs have made that perfectly clear. Replay is to correct something like that and nothing else. Coaches decided everything is fair game. At some point they'll figure it out.
It is obvious what is going on. My question: What's the NFL's point? The game has not been improved one iota by this rule change. No one likes it. Everyone from ownership, the staffs, the rosters and the fans are frustrated. WHAT IS THE POINT?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #278
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is obvious what is going on. My question: What's the NFL's point? The game has not been improved one iota by this rule change. No one likes it. Everyone from ownership, the staffs, the rosters and the fans are frustrated. WHAT IS THE POINT?
Justifying their job? The ideasmen within the NFL have to be seen doing something or what's the point of their job. The company I worked for had them, 9 times out of 10 they were stupid ideas that after a couple months were kicked out and replaced by the original way.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #279
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Justifying their job? The ideasmen within the NFL have to be seen doing something or what's the point of their job. The company I worked for had them, 9 times out of 10 they were stupid ideas that after a couple months were kicked out and replaced by the original way.
From what I read, it wasn't the "ideasmen" who came up with this. It was Sean Peyton and a number of coaches who made a Hail Mary plea to ge this thru. The NFL originally didn't want it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #280
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The point is to prevent what happened in the Rams/Saints playoff game last season. That's it. It's not to waste everybody's time with frivolous challenges over every judgement call. Stop throwing the challenge flag on judgement calls. Blame the coaches, not the rules.

What's not improving the game are all the flags in general. 90% of the flags thrown are ticky tack fouls that have no impact on the play. It's as if these refs are looking for an excuse to throw a flag. Ever watch games from years ago? 3-4 flags all game. What are these refs doing today?