Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #201
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

So far in 53 seasons of this dynasty (keep in mind that these are guestimates, but fairly decent ones I would think), The AL is hitting .263, while the NL is hitting .258. Overall MLB is hitting .260. The AL ERA is 3.95, while the NL ERA is 3.70. The overall MLB ERA is 3.82. The actual numbers from the 1984 season were a .260 batting average, and a 3.81 ERA, so that is incredible and demonstrates how well this technique of loading the numbers from 1984 into the league totals section on the day before each regular season works. Awesome.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #202
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Hoping I've finally found a league to stick with. Last 2 years, I've played a ton of OOTP, but haven't been able to keep a league running for as long as I like to. Keep stopping and starting. I've went back to what I love. Small 1 subleague 12 team league. Started with no divisions, but have since split the league into 2 divisions. The I-20 Division, Fort Worth, Texarkana, Shreveport, Alexandria, Jackson and Birmingham. The I-10 Division, Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, Biloxi and Mobile. I started the league in 1947 and I'm now up to the midway point of the 1952 season. Birmingham has somehow managed to acquire both Clayton Kershaw and Felix Hernandez leading them to 3 Championships in the first 5 seasons. Baton Rouge(inaugural season) and Shreveport won the other 2.

Shreveport has been dreadful for 4 out of the 5 seasons played, but managed to put it altogether for one championship run. During that run, they were led by Urban Shocker(27 win season) and Carl Crawford. Both players would sign elsewhere the following season and the Shreveport team would fall from the top to the very bottom. Midway through the 52 season they once again have the worst record in baseball.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #203
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Hoping I've finally found a league to stick with. Last 2 years, I've played a ton of OOTP, but haven't been able to keep a league running for as long as I like to. Keep stopping and starting. I've went back to what I love. Small 1 subleague 12 team league. Started with no divisions, but have since split the league into 2 divisions. The I-20 Division, Fort Worth, Texarkana, Shreveport, Alexandria, Jackson and Birmingham. The I-10 Division, Corpus Christi, Beaumont, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, Biloxi and Mobile. I started the league in 1947 and I'm now up to the midway point of the 1952 season. Birmingham has somehow managed to acquire both Clayton Kershaw and Felix Hernandez leading them to 3 Championships in the first 5 seasons. Baton Rouge(inaugural season) and Shreveport won the other 2.

Shreveport has been dreadful for 4 out of the 5 seasons played, but managed to put it altogether for one championship run. During that run, they were led by Urban Shocker(27 win season) and Carl Crawford. Both players would sign elsewhere the following season and the Shreveport team would fall from the top to the very bottom. Midway through the 52 season they once again have the worst record in baseball.
This is with OOTP16 or OOTP18? Not that it matters. What matters is that you've created a league that can hold your interest until you get into the interesting decisions like the HoF, seasonal awards, the all-star game etc etc etc and you get a history going with the players.

My oldest retired player who actually played in my league is Jesse Orosco, who's now 97 and pitched the inaugural season of the league as a 45 year old. 1B Roy Sievers, 1B Jim Pendleton, RP Mike G Marshall, 2B Bobby Lowe, CL Chief Bender (used as a closer because he was 41 in the inaugural season), and RP Ellis Kinder are all 90+ years old as well.

Goodness knows how many guys who didn't play at all fell through the cracks over the 53 seasons (even though I have the "Delete those who never reached Majors" box unchecked), but it's probably a sizeable amount. It looks like it's about 25%, as I've brought 5,066 players into this league over the years, and there are 3,817 retired + active players in the "Retired & Active Players" tab, which means 1,249 have gone missing over the years due to no playing time in the majors. Wish this didn't happen, but it does seem to regardless of whether you check that box or not.

I also have 57 players currently in my HoF, which means that the hall is letting in 1.13% of all (5,066) players who ever played. In real life, that number is 1.15% (220 MLB players of the 19,180 that have ever suited up), so that's another thing my current game is doing really well.

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #204
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

[QUOTE=actionjackson;4253902]This is with OOTP16 or OOTP18? Not that it matters. What matters is that you've created a league that can hold your interest until you get into the interesting decisions like the HoF, seasonal awards, the all-star game etc etc etc and you get a history going with the players.

My oldest retired player who actually played in my league is Jesse Orosco, who's now 97 and pitched the inaugural season of the league as a 45 year old. 1B Roy Sievers, 1B Jim Pendleton, RP Mike G Marshall, 2B Bobby Lowe, CL Chief Bender (used as a closer because he was 41 in the inaugural season), and RP Ellis Kinder are all 90+ years old as well.

Goodness knows how many guys who didn't play at all fell through the cracks over the 53 seasons (even though I have the "Delete those who never reached Majors" box unchecked), but it's probably a sizeable amount. It looks like it's about 25%, as I've brought 5,066 players into this league over the years, and there are 3,817 retired + active players in the "Retired & Active Players" tab, which means 1,249 have gone missing over the years due to no playing time in the majors. Wish this didn't happen, but it does seem to regardless of whether you check that box or not.

I also have 57 players currently in my HoF, which means that the hall is letting in 1.13% of all (5,066) players who ever played. In real life, that number is 1.15% (220 MLB players of the 19,180 that have ever suited up), so that's another thing my current game is doing really well.[/QUOTE

Old 11-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #205
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
This is with OOTP16 or OOTP18? Not that it matters. What matters is that you've created a league that can hold your interest until you get into the interesting decisions like the HoF, seasonal awards, the all-star game etc etc etc and you get a history going with the players.

I also have 57 players currently in my HoF, which means that the hall is letting in 1.13% of all (5,066) players who ever played. In real life, that number is 1.15% (220 MLB players of the 19,180 that have ever suited up), so that's another thing my current game is doing really well.
What is your record for most wins in one season for a pitcher?

Last edited by David Watts; 11-20-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 PM   #206
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is your record for most wins in one season for a pitcher?
Some cat named James Burke (who will be going to the HoF some day) went 26-4 in 1942. On the other side of the coin, another cat named Cinders O'Brien went 3-28 in 1936. Eek!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #207
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

1st round of 1953 Amateur Draft:

1. Orioles: Al Oliver 1B/OF
2. Senators: Joe Rudi 1B/OF
3. Braves: Joel Youngblood 2B/3B/OF
4. Phillies: Buddy Black LHP
5. Cubs: Tom Haller C
6. Indians: Brad Lidge RHP
7. Giants: Gerald Williams OF
8. Pirates: Dusty Rhodes 3B/OF
9. Cubs: Ox Eckhardt OF
10. White Sox: George Sherrill LHP
11. Braves: Randy Wolf LHP
12. Cardinals: Sonny Jackson SS
13. Athletics: Scott Bailes LHP
14. Red Sox: Jesus Colome RHP
15. Tigers: Ramon E Martinez 2B/3B/SS
16. Tigers: Ed Morgan 1B/3B/OF
Old 11-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #208
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Tigers also drafted: Tim Johnson 2B/SS, Ted Wills LHP, Bill G Wilson C/1B/OF, Bobby Mattick SS, Pete LaForest C, and Al Montreuil 2B
Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #209
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Have you had Puig show up in your random debut? Man does random debut love this guy. He's well on his way to the Hall of Fame once again my new league. I'm just surprised how consistently good he is from one random debut to another. Then again, there are so many guys I've never seen debut, yet Puig always seems to make it into my leagues in the early stages.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #210
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Have you had Puig show up in your random debut? Man does random debut love this guy. He's well on his way to the Hall of Fame once again my new league. I'm just surprised how consistently good he is from one random debut to another. Then again, there are so many guys I've never seen debut, yet Puig always seems to make it into my leagues in the early stages.
Hah! He showed up at age 22 in the inaugural season of my league (1901). On April 14, 1904, the poor bastard tore the meniscus in his knee, and on June 20, 1904, injury setbacks resulted in the end of his career (even though I disable Career Ending Injuries in the injuries.txt file - they can still bite you). He retired on October 22, 1904. In his brief career, he was selected to the All-Star team twice (1902 and 1903), and won the 1902 Silver Slugger at DH, while finishing second in AL MVP voting. He also won the 1901 World Series with the only team he ever played for - the Washington Senators, who've only managed to win two more championships since he retired (1906, and 1926).

Puig was not a star on the 1901 team. That team was led by RF Red Murray (All-Star), LF Joe Lahoud (All-Star), SS Freddie Patek (All-Star), and starting pitchers John Lackey (All-Star), Bobby J Jones, and Lefty Williams (All-Star). No real superstars really stand out. Must've been a real team effort. Closer Harry Boyles also made the All-Star team and posted 52 saves to lead the AL that year.

That team has one player in the HoF, who was my first ever inductee, Zack Greinke. Zack went 4-2 in 13 GS that year with a 3.77 ERA in 76.1 IP. It was only his age 23 season though. He had a very short career, and is definitely on the floor of the HoF SP. He never managed to win a Cy Young, but he did finish 2nd three times and 3rd three times, and finished 3rd in MVP voting once. It was a brilliant, brief career with 9 All-Star selections, 2 rings, and 1 ALCS MVP Award in 13 seasons.

Last edited by actionjackson; 11-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #211
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Amazing how many times Puig is part of a random debut's inaugural draft. I wish I would have kept track of all the leagues I started in which he was part of the first draft class.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #212
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Team Index through 53 seasons. All teams have won at least one World Series Championship. The following are the years they did it in for each organization:

Orioles: 1940, 1944, 1945, 1947
Red Sox: 1915
Dodgers: 1913, 1925, 1931
White Sox: 1943
Cubs: 1904, 1908, 1917, 1919
Redlegs: 1920, 1924
Indians: 1934, 1936
Tigers: 1902, 1929, 1935, 1938, 1949, 1952, 1953
Braves: 1946
Yankees: 1903, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1921-1923, 1937
Giants: 1933
Athletics: 1907, 1930, 1939, 1948, 1951
Phillies: 1914, 1916, 1918, 1932, 1941
Pirates: 1910, 1927, 1928, 1942, 1950
Cardinals: 1909
Senators: 1901, 1906, 1926
Attached Images
Old 11-23-2017, 01:52 PM   #213
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

1952 draft class just revealed. Jim Northrup, love it when my Tigers show. Boog Powell, always a fun dude to have around. And the biggest gift of all, an 18 year old Hank Aaron. Thinking Aaron will be a Biloxi Cardinal.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #214
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

As usual a few wonderful random debut surprises showed up in the draft as well. Tom Glavine was one. The other was Justin Verlander. Verlander ended up being the 12th and final pick of the 1st round....going to the Birmingham Slammers. The Slammers have won two straight rings and 4 total. Now it will be interesting to see if they lose Kershaw to free agency. If they manage to sign him again, they will have Kershaw(3 Cy Young awards), Felix Hernandez and Verlander in the rotation.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #215
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1952 draft class just revealed. Jim Northrup, love it when my Tigers show. Boog Powell, always a fun dude to have around. And the biggest gift of all, an 18 year old Hank Aaron. Thinking Aaron will be a Biloxi Cardinal.
What year did you start this random debut in?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #216
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As usual a few wonderful random debut surprises showed up in the draft as well. Tom Glavine was one. The other was Justin Verlander. Verlander ended up being the 12th and final pick of the 1st round....going to the Birmingham Slammers. The Slammers have won two straight rings and 4 total. Now it will be interesting to see if they lose Kershaw to free agency. If they manage to sign him again, they will have Kershaw(3 Cy Young awards), Felix Hernandez and Verlander in the rotation.
Wow! That's some rotation.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #217
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what year did you start this random debut in?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #218
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of awesome rotations, I posted this way in the back of beyond of this thread, but here's the season the Philadelphia Athletics rotation went apegoof, and almost pulled off a Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson, Jim Palmer, Dave McNally type season (i.e. four twenty game winners). Painfully close in fact. The five main starters combined for a 99-40 record, while the four main ones went 83-32. The 1971 Orioles four guys went 81-31 for comparison.
Attached Images
Old 11-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #219
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow! That's some rotation.
Well Birmingham wasn't able to re-sign Kershaw. He signed a 6 year deal with the Fort Worth Mustangs. Even without Clayton, the preseason predictions have Birmingham winning the I-20 division once again.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #220
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you tying the stats to a particular season or just taking things as they come?