Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
IAmC
Major Leagues

The REAL problem with iOOTP13

The #1 complaint that I have about iOOTP is not that there hasn't been an update to iOOTP13. It's that we make these comments about bugs and requested changes and we get Absolutely No Feedback about whether or not these are even acknowledged as a problem.

I love iOOTP and play it every single day. I carry my iPhone around the house not to take calls or texts but so that I can play a game or two in my 1977 Expos league (currently in 1983). I am addicted to iOOTP. But I might not buy iOOTP14 because of this issue.

I'm not asking for the developers to camp out on these forums and spend even 20 minutes a day on it. But for SOMEONE in the know to spend an hour a WEEK to address some of these issues (even at a level of "yes, we're looking at this" or "no, we won't have time for this" or "no, we don't agree that most customers would want this") isn't an unreasonable request.

Last edited by IAmC; 12-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

This is the problem with having one person working on two projects, particularly when one of them is brand new and bound to be having some issues. The more stable, "established" product tends to get ignored. I pretty much gave up on expecting anything new out of this one a while back after the second (or third) post saying things would get back to normal and this would get some attention.

Luckily, this game is quite playable, and I enjoy it as is. I've gotten my money's worth out of it, but, like you, I would have to give serious thought before buying next year's version...if for no other reason than to register a protest against the treatment of this version.
Spharv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
BradC
All Star Starter

We understand where you're coming from, but as Spharv2 noted, Sebastian is working on two things right now: A large update to FHM and iOOTP 2014. Some of the things being done for iOOTP 2014, such as Retina support, will be included in an update for iOOTP 2013.

I'm sorry there isn't more information than that right now, but it would be good to know what showstopping bugs are preventing people from playing the game. Yes, we know there are places where iOOTP 2013 could be improved, but are there issues that are stopping you from playing the game?

When someone says they carry an iPhone around just to play the game (and I know how you feel; I love to sit in my bed at night and play iOOTP on my iPad), then I feel like they're getting their money's worth out of the game, and there aren't any issues stopping them from having fun.

We're also very sorry there weren't more updates to iOOTP 2013 last year. We know people expected them, since the 2012 and 2011 versions were updated a few times each, but, again, FHM threw a wrench in those plans. We're a tiny company that is always bursting at the seams trying to squeeze as much as we can out of a few people - we're not like EA, who could grab a programmer from one team and throw them onto another one to help out, or who could add some headcount and hire a few people to get something done.

All we can ask is that you bear with us during these growing pains. Thanks.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Wisnoodles
Major Leagues

I guess what is the number one complaint here is that unlike in other ootp products there has been a lack of developer presence on the forums when someone reports an oddity or what they think might be a bug and they feel they are being over looked. Btw these posts are inserted in all sorts of places, so a suggestion would be to add a bug sticky or section. BradC, you are the only one we hear from, thanks for your help.
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

Stop spending your massive profits on sports cars and houses in the Caymens and hire more people.

I'm okay with it. Like I said, it's playable for me, and runs fine. I just would like to know that this isn't going to turn into your typical EA, "Here's the game, deal with it. And if you're lucky, maybe you'll get a roster update in 6 months." kind of thing. Is this going to happen next year too (Since I assume there is indeed going to be an FHM 2014)? Which is one reason that iOOTP14 will probably not be a day one buy for me, barring some incredible new addition I can't live without.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Panchobamba
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spharv2 View Post
iOOTP14 will probably not be a day one buy for me, barring some incredible new addition I can't live without.
Yup, me too. But I'd gladly pay $15 if there were career and improved leaderboards plus some of the ideas other gamers have mentioned in countless posts. Recently went back to iootp12 just to escape the horrific trading sessions in iootp13. It was good to see a star player being countered with an offer of an equal instead of the three or four for one.
Panchobamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
...I'm sorry there isn't more information than that right now, but it would be good to know what showstopping bugs are preventing people from playing the game. Yes, we know there are places where iOOTP 2013 could be improved, but are there issues that are stopping you from playing the game?

When someone says they carry an iPhone around just to play the game (and I know how you feel; I love to sit in my bed at night and play iOOTP on my iPad), then I feel like they're getting their money's worth out of the game, and there aren't any issues stopping them from having fun.
Most of those who stopped playing the game likely aren't here to give you feedback. So, we'll have to do :-).

Personally, I would say that the most serious problem that would cause me to stop playing would be the lack of confirmation of the player being replaced when pinchhitting or pinchrunning. I've had too many occasions when I've lost a game and lost the opportunity to catch up due to a bad substitution (Cecil Fielder as a pinch runner? Really?????).

Quote:
We are or we wouldn't be here, checking every day to see what's happening. I've gotten much more than my money's worth. You have an EXCELLENT product. We just want it to be MORE excellent!
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
revcarte
Major Leagues

Quote:
We understand where you're coming from, but as Spharv2 noted, Sebastian is working on two things right now: A large update to FHM and iOOTP 2014. Some of the things being done for iOOTP 2014, such as Retina support, will be included in an update for iOOTP 2013.

I'm sorry there isn't more information than that right now, but it would be good to know what showstopping bugs are preventing people from playing the game. Yes, we know there are places where iOOTP 2013 could be improved, but are there issues that are stopping you from playing the game?

We're also very sorry there weren't more updates to iOOTP 2013 last year. We know people expected them, since the 2012 and 2011 versions were updated a few times each, but, again, FHM threw a wrench in those plans. We're a tiny company that is always bursting at the seams trying to squeeze as much as we can out of a few people - we're not like EA, who could grab a programmer from one team and throw them onto another one to help out, or who could add some headcount and hire a few people to get something done.

My biggest complaint is that it has been over 16 months since iPhone 5 came out with the larger screen and retina display and there has been no update to support that. I did not expect it overnight but 16 months??? I have just quit playing the game altogether. Might pick it up again once things get updated. Not sure but I decided not to purchase the computer game.
revcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
McGuiser
Major Leagues

The real problem with iOOTP is that we waste so damned much time playing it, when we could be doing something productive or useful.

The best part of iOOTP is that it helps us keep the TV turned off. Or so it seems to me.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
The real problem with iOOTP is that we waste so damned much time playing it, when we could be doing something productive or useful.

The best part of iOOTP is that it helps us keep the TV turned off. Or so it seems to me.
I really like this comment.

On a serious note, I always read about show-stopping bugs in iOOTP 2013 but tbh, it's always the same 2-3 people complaining and whenever I ask for a list of this show-stopping (a.k.a. bugs, that make the game unplayable) bugs I get no response. What some people don't understand is, that iOOTP was, is and ever will be a casual game. It costs 5 bucks and we support it as good as possible (or needed) - period. The game is (and always was) perfectly playable, otherwise Apple would not allow it on the App-Store and not only 3-4 people would complain. If it was true that iOOTP is not playable (like some guy on FB is telling us over and over again), I'm pretty sure more of the XX.XXX iOOTP users (each year) would complain.

But of course we try to listen to everyone so here is my offer: please list all show-stopping bugs (not feature wishes, just the big bugs that make the game unplayable) here and I will comment on every entry (and of course fix them when we think it is really a big bug).

Thanks for the support!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Dr. C-Mac
Bat Boy

Not sure it qualifies as "show-stopping", but at launch/purchase we were promised a player editor (see http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...er-editor.html if in doubt), which simply hasn't been delivered upon. I can't help but feel deceived in this regard. Here we are ten months later with no player editor.
Dr. C-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
McGuiser
Major Leagues

Not a show-stopper, but for me the most frustrating bug:

Negotiating extensions: agreeing to an offer often has the player declining, but then demanding what we just offered. I do not know a way out of this loop.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
Not a show-stopper, but for me the most frustrating bug:

Negotiating extensions: agreeing to an offer often has the player declining, but then demanding what we just offered. I do not know a way out of this loop.
Yeah, not a show stopper but still a bug. Will talk to Markus tomorrow. Thats code directly from OOTP so most likely it changed there and I can just copy the changes to iOOTP. Will report back.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Ike348
All Star Starter

The REAL problem with iOOTP13

Money in trades. The AI can offer us trades with money but we can't add or change the amount of money on either side.

Also with trades, how many people can be on a side in OOTP? I only play OOTP as commisioner, so I don't often trade. If the limit is three, that's cool, but if it's anything more, iOOTP should be at that level.

AI can trade players drafted in the past year but we can't? Don't know if its an MLB rule or not but it should be equally fair either way.

Can't go back when creating a league. Accidental typo, looks like I'm stuck with it.

Biggest things for me in order of importance.

EDIT: None of these are show-stoppers for me. I don't think there are any in the game, EXCEPT for the lack of iPhone 5/Retina support. I can't recall whether this has been addressed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by Ike348; 02-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Walkoffman
Minors (Single A)

No real problem with iOOTP 13

Have played Historical Replay 1960-71 (and counting) with real rookies feature, mostly fast PbP on iPad2, game works great, great entertainment value for the $5 + $20!

As some have noted, long BNN messages (like All-Star rosters) and long player histories run out of screen space - bug or just a design limitation?

That's all I've got. Looking forward to '14!
Walkoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

The stuff I got so far are of course bugs that I will try to fix but tbh, I still wait for the show-stopping bugs that make iOOTP 2013 unplayable. Barry, anything?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Seabfbfan
Bat Boy

There are NO show-stopping bugs in iOOTP13 that I've seen. I've played every game on my iPhone 5 with the Mariners from 2013-2019. A few glitches now and again but nothing major. Looking forward to the iPhone 5 screen size later on.

Been reading these boards for a year now and this is my 1st post!
Seabfbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #18
ZTO333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabfbfan View Post
There are NO show-stopping bugs in iOOTP13 that I've seen. I've played every game on my iPhone 5 with the Mariners from 2013-2019. A few glitches now and again but nothing major. Looking forward to the iPhone 5 screen size later on.

Been reading these boards for a year now and this is my 1st post!
Yeah I agree. No show-stoppers I've seen and I've played from today until the mid-2100s (simming week by week). A few little things here and there but nothing big at all. Anyone who calls it unplayable is just wrong. Its honestly the best game I've ever played.
ZTO333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
Spharv2
Minors (Double A)

I agree, it's perfectly playable. Annoying things here and there like the contract loop, but nothing that prevents play, which I said above. Though what constitutes a show-stopper will vary from person to person. I recall in the '12 version, there was someone who refused to play anymore because he couldn't print things out, which is a complete non-issue for most everyone but him I think.

The main niggle for me is that editor/retina update that we never got. I'm completely sympathetic to the issues you have, it's just frustrating for some of us.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Just got back into it this week. Highly addictive. My only flaws:

1. iphone support. Heard it's coming soon, though.
2. Contracts: arbitration estimates are based much more on player's ratings than their results. Buxton for me had 3 seasons where his best OPS was around .710, with great D and speed, sure. His first arbitration award? 12M. He's ranked as a 4.5-5 star player, but it's really hard to plan a team when a good, but not great, outfielder gets 12M after just 3 years of playing. OOTP got much better in this last year - hoping iOOTP just needs to steal that code.
3. Trading. It's too easy, for one. Would definitely like to switch the trade difficulty one notch harder. Also, not being able to handle money properly is annoying. And the soft cap of 3 players, except if you have 3 players in the list and use "make this work now", you can add a 4th player, which you can't then change.
4. Screen visuals (maybe this will be fixed by 1): it's hard to navigate my players' stats. It takes a lot of clicks to view batting stats, pitching stats - even if when setting my rotation I just had their basic ERA, that would be a big step forward in saving me lots of navigation. Then it's just awkward trading, flipping back and forth between screens where some filters are sticky, some are not, it makes it annoying.

But all of these I agree with the main comments above are fairly minor points. The game is still great as it is, and for 5 bucks (or less when it's on sale), it's hard to be overly picky about it. It's just hard because we expect the game to be as good as the main game, and when something works in the main game but doesn't in this one, it makes it frustrating. Even if I only paid 1/8 or so for it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote