Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #61
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Baseball fans have never had it so good (despite a boring World Series in real life this year).
I thought it was one of the most entertaining series in years.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant the teams are boring.
Well, St. Louis IS really boring. The World Series would have been a lot more fun with the Dodgers or [insert name of any other NL team] in it instead. But the Sox are highly entertaining. Beards! Big Papi! The amazing Daniel Nava story! Koji! Farrel letting Workman bat with Napoli available!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #63
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Well, St. Louis IS really boring. The World Series would have been a lot more fun with the Dodgers or [insert name of any other NL team] in it instead. But the Sox are highly entertaining. Beards! Big Papi! The amazing Daniel Nava story! Koji! Farrel letting Workman bat with Napoli available!
I agree it would have been a lot more fun with the Mets in it
BaseballAddict32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #64
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballAddict32 View Post
fyrestorm, Josh, thanks again guys. the feedback is awesome. i am going to stat developing my fictional league tonight so this stuff is awesome and will check out the other forums for more help.
In case it hasn't been mentioned by someone else regarding fictional leagues, I use a modern day MLB Quickstart from several versions ago and play with current era stats and player usage.

In my biased opinion fictional has all the advantages of "real" or historical leagues and none of the disadvantages.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
zoomzilla
Minors (Double A)

Great post. I've learned:

1. Uni mods bring the game to life. Thanks Justafan.
2. Fictional leagues only. I've been playing since 2010 and never played anything else. I make my own dynasties, my own mythological figures. I sim through the first 30 seasons, then name awards and stadiums after the greatest players of the bygone era.
3. Linux forever more. No more data losses due to virus. It's a wonderful feeling.
4. Customization is the key to this game.
5. I will forever support the game designers. I used to steal the game, but now I don't because it's not a money printing machine like some games and they need our support to continue to be so awesome.
6. I've also learned that non-americans apparently love this game enough to make the most in-depth simulation in the history of video games. Thanks again Markus.
zoomzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #66
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballAddict32 View Post
I agree it would have been a lot more fun with the Mets in it
It would have been much shorter, too.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #67
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
It would have been much shorter, too.
LOL Yeah. Can a World Series be negative games? It would have literally over before it started.
BaseballAddict32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 PM   #68
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I meant MLB-quality teams

Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #69
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

There are teams that I dislike MORE than the Red Sox... it could have been Cleveland (shudder).
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #70
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
There are teams that I dislike MORE than the Red Sox... it could have been Cleveland (shudder).
Or the Yankees. (double shudder)
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #71
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Or the Yankees. (double shudder)
Or the Cubs. (triple shudder)
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #72
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Ah, I see the problem. When you said "boring", I thought you meant "boring", not "teams I don't like." Disliking the Red Sox is logical enough for a Blue Jays fan, but I'm curious about the Cleveland angle.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #73
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

the one thing I've learned from playing this game...is I'm a ruthless General Manager....If I think your game has slipped at all...I trade away for youth and draft picks...and it has bit me in the ass too...

I once traded away a 31 year old Joe Dimaggio because it seemed to me his game had dropped a notch......

the next two seasons he hit 50+ homeruns....lol
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #74
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I sure would have loved what we in 1984 call it the what if world series ... would love to see the Tigers face the Cubbies in the World Series soon
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #75
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmuth View Post
the one thing I've learned from playing this game...is I'm a ruthless General Manager....If I think your game has slipped at all...I trade away for youth and draft picks...and it has bit me in the ass too...

I once traded away a 31 year old Joe Dimaggio because it seemed to me his game had dropped a notch......

the next two seasons he hit 50+ homeruns....lol
Better to trade good dinosaurs away for value than to be stuck paying a bad one a fortune for years and years.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #76
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzilla View Post
I sim through the first 30 seasons, then name awards and stadiums after the greatest players of the bygone era.
Cool idea.
Quote:
I used to steal the game, but now I don't because it's not a money printing machine like some games and they need our support to continue to be so awesome.
Rather a remarkable statement to make, even if we are all anonymous. Still, that's definitely the right reason to "come clean."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #77
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

I haven't learned things about myself from playing OOTP, but rather things about baseball itself. The game got me interested in digging up the minutia of various aspects of the sport, and I have spend quite a bit of time doing research on this topic or that, amassing a fair amount of reference material along the way.

In trying to learn about the transaction rules, for example, I ended up with a collection of 22 Baseball Blue Books (22). I've got 9 Baseball America Almanacs, 8 Baseball America Directories, and 11 The Sporting News Guides (I hope to add another two). And that's in addition to a variety of other books. I've probably got a couple of gigabytes' worth of data tucked away on a hard drive, and a whole bunch of projects I want to complete eventually, some intended for OOTP, others as more general information.

Basically, OOTP got me involved in researching baseball, and I haven't minded that a bit. I've learned lots of interesting things (well, interesting to me at any rate). Add to that the privilege of being on the beta team and helping the game grow and evolve (and occasionally even getting a feature one suggests included in the game).

And lastly, of course, interacting with everyone on this forum over the years.

Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #78
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I never understood everybody's obsession with uniforms, though. Logos, yes, these are necessary. But I use the game's stock uniforms for everything, and if my youngster in left field wins the Batter of the Month and Rookie of the Month award, I still feel pretty immersed.
See, if I see one of those flat, game-generated jerseys, it instantly pulls me out of the immersion, primarily because I'm so used to having shadows and textures and wordmarks and buttons that actually make it look real:

I know everyone's different, but to me, realistic uniforms make such an incredible difference. I suppose I might be biased, considering I make all my own jerseys, but still. Going back to the game-generated ones would be torture for me.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #79
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

I've also learned that non-americans apparently love this game enough to make the most in-depth simulation in the history of video games. Thanks again Markus.
Also, non-Americans like me love this game so much to make the effort to learn baseball (in my case, 4 years ago, at the ripe old age of 51)...

Last edited by themonk; 11-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #80
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

that is awesome, baseball is a great game to play, watch and teach!!!