Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #81
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmah View Post
Well, I did get it. And wow, is it overwhelming at first look. But I know I'm gonna like it, thank you for prodding me in the right direction .
When you run into questions check the manual as best you can and post in the New Players forum. The community here is so impressive.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #82
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Marcus,

Heard anything from the people at Steam yet?

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #83
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Marcus,

Heard anything from the people at Steam yet?
No. Again, this will take a while and all depends on how many games Steam will greenlight with the next batch. I hope that we'll get in prior to Christmas, that would be good for the company. And then in the future I hope we won't have to go through this process again.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #84
KevinH
Bat Boy

I voted/followed/favorited. I'm really hoping to see OOTP on Steam. I really like the convenience of not having to hunt for CD keys to install a game on a different computer, and getting automatic patches. At the same time I realize that not everybody likes Steam, so it's good to see that there will still be the option to download directly for people that want that. Regardless of how you personally feel about Steam though, the extra exposure from being there would be absolutely huge for both sales and the OOTP community. Best of luck!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #85
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Plus there would be a Steam forum and community and hopefully a Workshop for mods.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #86
RPage
Minors (Single A)

Steamed

My only experience with Steam, and I don't play Civ anymore because of this, is that I am required to log in and connect to steam to launch my single player game. If this happens in OOTP, then I am gone. I see no reason for an entity like steam to have to connect to my system to "verify" a game that I have purchased and use in solo play.
If I want to play when my internet is down, or on my laptop while traveling, will I be able to without a Steam connection?

Currently you can't do either of those things with Civ. You can turn Steam off after it logs in, but why would I have to log in to play my game?

"Don't worry about your seeing eye dog back here ump. I fed and watered him for you."
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #87
eddyvegasgames
Minors (Rookie Ball)

After an initial connection, you can then go into Offline Mode for 1 month, I believe, without connecting again.

And you can do that with Civ as well. I just tried it.

This forum reminds me of some wargaming forums I have seen. A certain percentage are still stuck in 2003.

-Eddy
Old 10-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #88
RPage
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyvegasgames View Post
After an initial connection, you can then go into Offline Mode for 1 month, I believe, without connecting again.

This forum reminds me of some wargaming forums I have seen. A certain percentage are still stuck in 2003.

-Eddy

So you are saying that you have to connect to Steam? (This is my reason for not liking Steam). Why?
If I purchase a game, what gives Steam the right to tell me when and where I can play my single player game? Like I said, If this is what OOTP is going to, then I am out.

"Don't worry about your seeing eye dog back here ump. I fed and watered him for you."
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #89
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPage View Post
So you are saying that you have to connect to Steam? (This is my reason for not liking Steam). Why?
If I purchase a game, what gives Steam the right to tell me when and where I can play my single player game? Like I said, If this is what OOTP is going to, then I am out.
I can relate to your gripe, however this is the future for computer game purchasing. I believe Markus has mentioned that even if it does make it on Steam that he will still have it available for purchase separately through the OOTP website also. You won't have to go through only Steam to get the game, it is just to reach a bigger audience.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #90
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
That's only the case for a few games on Steam. For many (most) you can play whenever and wherever without even going through steam after your initial purchase.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #91
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Like it has been said 1000 times, you don't have to get it through Steam.
And really, when won't you have Internet access for a month? I'm sure if you need to go without Internet for a while you can go to customer service and possibly get an exception.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #92
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
That's only the case for a few games on Steam. For many (most) you can play whenever and wherever without even going through steam after your initial purchase.
If that's the case I honestly don't get any of the hate for Steam. They offer tons of games, give great customer service for rare problems that do occur (of which I have had none), and have many fantastic sales. Valve actually cares about their customers.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #93
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

-Eddy
With wargaming forums it's probably more like 1983

j/k, but wargamers have that kind of reputation (I find wargames kind of interesting, but don't really play them...)

Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #94
eddyvegasgames
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
To protect the makers of the game, to insure you have purchased it and not pirated it.

Remember the old days, when you had to put the CD-ROM in the drive before you could play the game? Well, just pretend that when you connect to Steam, you are putting the CD-ROM in the drive, except you only have to put the CD-ROM in once a month, and the same CD-ROM is used for dozens, if not hundreds, of games, depending on your library of Steam games. And you don't have to go hunting for your CD either.

Also, LOL Cryomaniac!

-Eddy
Old 10-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #95
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe we're still arguing over this.

Even if you don't like Steam, Markus has repeatedly said that OOTP will not be Steam-exclusive. How is bringing money and a potentially huge fanbase into OOTP a bad thing?

If you don't like Steam, and therefore don't have a Steam account, there is no issue. You have to be a paying customer to vote on Greenlight, so if you're not, then you can't. But if you have a Steam account, even if you don't use it anymore, one click of a button could immensely help this great game. It's totally unreasonable to not do it simply because you don't agree with how the platform works.

So cut the debate over how great or horrible Steam is - on both sides. Some people like Steam, some don't. End of story. The only reason to not vote for it is if Markus planned to make the game Steam-exclusive. Which, again, is not going to happen. Therefore, it is just completely illogical and asinine to refuse to vote for OOTP, regardless of your stance on Steam.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #96
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I also can't believe in the year 2013 people actually turn their PCs off
My PC gets restarted maybe once every 3 months and with an always on Internet connection Steam is always running in the background.

I hate when game developers are forced to program games for the lowest common denominator of users in terms of technology and computer knowledge.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #97
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's called DRM. And if you can't be bothered to type in a short password once a month then you're far too busy to be playing OOTP anyway.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #98
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I also can't believe in the year 2013 people actually turn their PCs off
My PC gets restarted maybe once every 3 months and with an always on Internet connection Steam is always running in the background.

I hate when game developers are forced to program games for the lowest common denominator of users in terms of technology and computer knowledge.
"Half of the people out there are of below average intelligence."

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
-Eddy
Eddy, some of them are stuck in PC 1993.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #100
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
It's called DRM. And if you can't be bothered to type in a short password once a month then you're far too busy to be playing OOTP anyway.
Quote:
"Half of the people out there are of below average intelligence."
Quote:
Eddy, some of them are stuck in PC 1993.
Hey, its their life they can live it their way.
Closed Thread