Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 10-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Can you list those problems in a post here? I will make sure Sebastian sees them, and I can let you know the status of those issues being addressed.

RE the developers coming on here to post updates: That's why I'm posting. They've all been very busy, so I took it on myself to pop my head in and say something. They didn't ask me to do it - I knew there was some frustration out there, and I wanted to address it as best I could.

Believe me, we are grateful for every single customer we have, and we never take any of you for granted. We realize that you could easily jump ship for a competitor. Even with iOOTP having a lock on iOS, we know that a competitor could move onto the iOS App Store if they saw there was discontent and thought they could steal customers from us. We have no doubt that our competition reads our forums.
Some problems,

1. It would be great if players from the amateur draft got sent straight to the Minor League Roster, if possible. There's nothing worse than a player being drafted placed right away on my 25 man roster, and then being angry when he gets sent down. I realize this can be fixed by having an already full 25 man roster, but sometimes when I have someone on the disabled list and forget to call someone up, it's a bad situation to be in.

2. The allstar email, you can't scroll all the way to the bottom of the email to see the players in the allstar game. This also applies for player history.

3. It would be great if starters had a little less value in the draft, as it's pretty much impossible to draft a starting pitcher after the 20th pick.

4. This might have been fixed, but whenever you get really late into the years (ex. 2100), if you click on the hall of fame your game will crash.

5. Some stats are a little bit too close together, hard to read

6. Other teams still send scrub players for your stars, that gets rather annoying after awhile. At the trade deadline, I always get 40+ emails that I really don't want to look through considering most of the trade offers sent are garbage either way.

7. Other teams can send you money in a trade, but we as players don't have the option to add money or take away money. The money also doesn't have much value, so when you get a trade offer from the AI, you can remove all the players in the trade, do a scrub for scrub + $1.5 million and it's pretty cheap.

8. I'm not one to usually play games, but when I do I think it would be great to have better management of the bullpen. Would be a great addition if you could get relievers warming up in the pen, rather than just throwing them in the game.

9. Free agency seems a little back and forth, as I've seen superstar generational talent players sign in free agency for $12 million, and good but not amazing players sign for well over $20+ million.

10. The trade block only has angry players. I see why teams would players they soured on on the trade block but, there's many more instances in which a player is on the block. I'm not to sure about this, but does putting a player on the trade block do anything? I don't recall ever getting offers for players I have put on the trade block. The whole trade block thing is a great idea, but at this point it's pretty poorly done.

11. Players who refuse to negotiate a contract with you is very irritating. I think it's a great idea, adds a little bit to the game however it happens way too often. There's not much worse than a star player on my team refusing to negotiate a contract, I should be able to at least send him an offer to try and work something out.

Last edited by KingxX; 10-05-2013 at 01:27 AM.
KingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Ike348
All Star Starter

iOOTP has *not* been abandoned (from an OOTP employee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingxX View Post
Some problems,

1. It would be great if players from the amateur draft got sent straight to the Minor League Roster, if possible. There's nothing worse than a player being drafted placed right away on my 25 man roster, and then being angry when he gets sent down. I realize this can be fixed by having an already full 25 man roster, but sometimes when I have someone on the disabled list and forget to call someone up, it's a bad situation to be in.

2. The allstar email, you can't scroll all the way to the bottom of the email to see the players in the allstar game. This also applies for player history.

3. It would be great if starters had a little less value in the draft, as it's pretty much impossible to draft a starting pitcher after the 20th pick.

4. This might have been fixed, but whenever you get really late into the years (ex. 2100), if you click on the hall of fame your game will crash.

5. Some stats are a little bit too close together, hard to read

6. Other teams still send scrub players for your stars, that gets rather annoying after awhile. At the trade deadline, I always get 40+ emails that I really don't want to look through considering most of the trade offers sent are garbage either way.

7. Other teams can send you money in a trade, but we as players don't have the option to add money or take away money. The money also doesn't have much value, so when you get a trade offer from the AI, you can remove all the players in the trade, do a scrub for scrub + $1.5 million and it's pretty cheap.

8. I'm not one to usually play games, but when I do I think it would be great to have better management of the bullpen. Would be a great addition if you could get relievers warming up in the pen, rather than just throwing them in the game.

9. Free agency seems a little back and forth, as I've seen superstar generational talent players sign in free agency for $12 million, and good but not amazing players sign for well over $20+ million.

10. The trade block only has angry players. I see why teams would players they soured on on the trade block but, there's many more instances in which a player is on the block. I'm not to sure about this, but does putting a player on the trade block do anything? I don't recall ever getting offers for players I have put on the trade block. The whole trade block thing is a great idea, but at this point it's pretty poorly done.

11. Players who refuse to negotiate a contract with you is very irritating. I think it's a great idea, adds a little bit to the game however it happens way too often. There's not much worse than a star player on my team refusing to negotiate a contract, I should be able to at least send him an offer to try and work something out.
I agree a lot with #1, but as being angry really doesn't do anything when he's in the minors. It's just annoying to have your top pick who sucks when you draft him on your team right after he's drafted and sim for a few days.

Are you playing on the iPad? My ASG e-mails load fine on my iPod, it's just that when you have a player with a lot of history listed, you can't see the last 1-2 results.

And if MR's had a little more value and you couldn't get your next closer with the 100th pick

The farthest I've gotten is around 2050, so I've never had that issue. It would be great that players who retire who don't make the HOF aren't deleted, and you could still look up his stats in player search or in the championship section. Granted, once you get up there in years, it would be a huge memory hog, so maybe have the option to turn it on/off.

For me, that only came up in our hitters' dominate leagues. And on the expanded pitching stats screen when you have enormous K/9s.

This is probably the most annoying. After playing 150 seasons over different games, only about 5 deadline offers were worth considering.

This could just be a simple bug fix, but if you delete everybody in your trade except the person you want and the money that team is giving, you can't delete the money.

Since I never play anything else, I can see how beneficial this would be, but since I only look at box scores, I couldn't care less.

This is common in real life. I find it funny to look at that 3-star shortstop who wants a 7/$25 mil deal, when I signed a 4-star 2B who I converted to a SS to a 3/$5 mil deal. I just thought of something else that somebody else mentioned. Say a guy wants 3 years/$10 mil at the beginning of free agency. He's not worth anywhere near that, so you offer him 2 years/$5 mil per. He says that there is NO WAY he'll sign for that little! Three months later, at the beginning of Spring Training, he signed for exactly that. Also, with starters having so much weight in the draft, they have so little weight in free agency. If you need a quick rotation fix, you can get a solid 3rd-4th starter for $2 mil a year or less.

Putting a player doesn't do anything except it means that you get 50 bajillion trade offers from the same team for their angry player on the block. Sometimes you can find cheap contracts and get a really good steal. But this is usually not the case. Once, I declined an offer and it sent the same trade back!

Maybe it's too much real life, but most of the time my stars who refuse negotations before their last season sometimes warm up a bit towards the end. And if you really. want him back hut can't get him to sign, get him in free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

There are some trading inconveniences KingxX already went over. I would love the ability to add more than 3 players per side to a trade without having to hit the "Make this work now" button. Just a thought.

On the other hand, there are plenty of times when the bottom lines of an email, player history, and even articles in the League News when the bottom line(s) are cut off on my iPod 4th gen. Not sure if other people experience this issue in those 3 areas but I do.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #24
ms2002
All Star Starter

Is an Android version completely out of the picture for iOOTP 2013?
ms2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Mennogreg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Has the (small) possibility for a wild pitch/passed ball and have the runner thrown out at Home been fixed?

I've also experienced various scrolling issues (mail screen and player cards info cut-off as they fill up with info).

- the ability to edit Fictional League stadium names.

- 60 day DL, Paternity List (kidding)

- Postseason stats (this can be combined statistics to reduce clutter)

I would also suggest the app size increase to accommodate additional stats/features, if need be. Lots of games are well over 250MB now. Apple also increased the cellular data App Store limit to 100MB in recognition of this.
Mennogreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #26
thespungo
Minors (Single A)

iOOTP 13 has not been abandoned!

There will, however, be no more updates to the game this season.
thespungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Can you list those problems in a post here? I will make sure Sebastian sees them, and I can let you know the status of those issues being addressed.
I have a list of things that I would like to see fixed/changed:
Playing individual games:
  • When choosing a reliever or bringing in a pinch hitter or pinch runner during a game, there is no way to see any details about them (e.g. in the Batting Ratings or Pitching Ratings or Defensive Ratings windows) without actually committing to have them enter the game. This is an enormous pain.
  • When bringing in a pinch hitter or pinch runner during a game, you can never be sure that the player that you are taking OUT of the game is the correct one, since your finger might have selected the player above or below the one you want. One of the worst situations that I've experienced with this is thinking that I was bringing in Cecil Fielder to pinch hit but instead having him pinch run Damaso Garcia on first base because my touch was registered on the player above the batter. Also today, I intended to pinch hit for my pitcher with Steve Garvey but ended up having him pinch run instead (and my pitcher had to bat for himself and struck out). This would be easily solved by changing the confirmation message to have the words "pinch hit" or "pinch run" and the name of the player replaced. This is also an enormous pain, as I find that this problem happens to me at least once a week.
  • When choosing a starting pitcher, there is no way to tell how tired they are without exiting the current game and going to the Active Roster.
  • It would be wonderful if there was a way to recall the previous play-by-play message from the previous play. Very often, I'm quickly going through my game and I accidentally clear the message before I realize that it didn't quite say what I thought it did. This is a nice-to-have that is not essential (since it's really my own fault).
  • Although I am very impressed about the vast variety of play-by-play verbiage, the two things that are noticeably missing are anything about the team batting around in an inning and a pitcher striking out the side in an inning.
  • When viewing the roster looking for a pinch hitter/runner, it would be really nice if entering the roster would use a default filter of only batters. This is already done for changing pitchers.. If I want to see the full roster, it's easy enough to clear that filter. But in about four NL seasons of playing every game, I've never had a need to pinch hit with a pitcher.
  • Sometimes entering the roster has a default position sort of ascending, instead of descending. I pretty much never want to see Closers above Relievers as a default.
  • Tiny, tiny rule interpretation problem: Bottom of the ninth, score tied, bases loaded with one out. Batter hits a ground ball that hits a runner. The runner was out (which is correct) but the runner from third was allowed to score (which is wrong), winning the game.
  • I have mentioned in the past a bug where a game is started with the same score as the game that just finished (with tired starting pitchers). I won't detail it here. It has occurred multiple times (once costing me a pennant) but I don't know how to reproduce it.
And some that don't have to do with playing individual games:
  • When either in the Active Roster or the Minor League Roster, if you filter the output using the dropdown box (e.g. only Second Base) and then you view the info for a specific player, the filter is cleared to show all players. I never want this to happen.
  • When either in the Active Roster or the Minor League Roster, if your view is Batting Ratings and you change your filter to Pitcher, the view should automatically change to Pitcher Ratings (and vice versa). The same should be true for switching the view from Batting Stats to Pitching Stats when you change your filter to Pitcher. In the rare case when someone really wants to see Batting Stats for Pitchers, they can easily change the view.
    • As a rule, changing a filter or a view in the Rosters should always default to providing useful information for their Batter/Pitcher role when the user sees the new data for the first time. If they want something more obscure, they can easily select it.
  • After the trading deadline, it would be nice if the News didn't have articles about players possibly being traded. If they can't be traded for another month, what's the point?
  • In the Standings screen, I'd love to see info about winning/losing streaks and Last 10. I realize that there might not be enough horizontal space but it would be nice if this was implemented in some way (Expanded Standings screen?).
  • In the News section, it would be nice to see articles about teams' performance (e.g. Philadelphia has won 8 in a row).
  • In the League Leaders section, it would be nice to see more than the top 3 in each category (perhaps by touching the category heading to bring up a longer list?). I just finished a season where I spent a game-month or more trying to get my best starter in the top 3 in wins but he kept being tied with the 2nd and 3rd place starters because they kept on winning.
  • If you enter the Active Player List, it should be at the first page, not at the page you were last at. The chances of you entering that list for the same reason as last time would be fairly low.
  • In the Amateur Draft, it would be good if you could get a recommendation from your scouting staff without having to actually draft that player.

IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #28
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
  • When choosing a reliever or bringing in a pinch hitter or pinch runner during a game, there is no way to see any details about them (e.g. in the Batting Ratings or Pitching Ratings or Defensive Ratings windows) without actually committing to have them enter the game. This is an enormous pain.
  • When bringing in a pinch hitter or pinch runner during a game, you can never be sure that the player that you are taking OUT of the game is the correct one, since your finger might have selected the player above or below the one you want. One of the worst situations that I've experienced with this is thinking that I was bringing in Cecil Fielder to pinch hit but instead having him pinch run Damaso Garcia on first base because my touch was registered on the player above the batter. Also today, I intended to pinch hit for my pitcher with Steve Garvey but ended up having him pinch run instead (and my pitcher had to bat for himself and struck out). This would be easily solved by changing the confirmation message to have the words "pinch hit" or "pinch run" and the name of the player replaced. This is also an enormous pain, as I find that this problem happens to me at least once a week.
  • When choosing a starting pitcher, there is no way to tell how tired they are without exiting the current game and going to the Active Roster.
  • It would be wonderful if there was a way to recall the previous play-by-play message from the previous play. Very often, I'm quickly going through my game and I accidentally clear the message before I realize that it didn't quite say what I thought it did. This is a nice-to-have that is not essential (since it's really my own fault).
  • Although I am very impressed about the vast variety of play-by-play verbiage, the two things that are noticeably missing are anything about the team batting around in an inning and a pitcher striking out the side in an inning.
  • When viewing the roster looking for a pinch hitter/runner, it would be really nice if entering the roster would use a default filter of only batters. This is already done for changing pitchers.. If I want to see the full roster, it's easy enough to clear that filter. But in about four NL seasons of playing every game, I've never had a need to pinch hit with a pitcher.
  • Sometimes entering the roster has a default position sort of ascending, instead of descending. I pretty much never want to see Closers above Relievers as a default.
  • Tiny, tiny rule interpretation problem: Bottom of the ninth, score tied, bases loaded with one out. Batter hits a ground ball that hits a runner. The runner was out (which is correct) but the runner from third was allowed to score (which is wrong), winning the game.
  • I have mentioned in the past a bug where a game is started with the same score as the game that just finished (with tired starting pitchers). I won't detail it here. It has occurred multiple times (once costing me a pennant) but I don't know how to reproduce it.
  • When either in the Active Roster or the Minor League Roster, if you filter the output using the dropdown box (e.g. only Second Base) and then you view the info for a specific player, the filter is cleared to show all players. I never want this to happen.
  • When either in the Active Roster or the Minor League Roster, if your view is Batting Ratings and you change your filter to Pitcher, the view should automatically change to Pitcher Ratings (and vice versa). The same should be true for switching the view from Batting Stats to Pitching Stats when you change your filter to Pitcher. In the rare case when someone really wants to see Batting Stats for Pitchers, they can easily change the view.
    • As a rule, changing a filter or a view in the Rosters should always default to providing useful information for their Batter/Pitcher role when the user sees the new data for the first time. If they want something more obscure, they can easily select it.
  • After the trading deadline, it would be nice if the News didn't have articles about players possibly being traded. If they can't be traded for another month, what's the point?
  • In the Standings screen, I'd love to see info about winning/losing streaks and Last 10. I realize that there might not be enough horizontal space but it would be nice if this was implemented in some way (Expanded Standings screen?).
  • In the News section, it would be nice to see articles about teams' performance (e.g. Philadelphia has won 8 in a row).
  • In the League Leaders section, it would be nice to see more than the top 3 in each category (perhaps by touching the category heading to bring up a longer list?). I just finished a season where I spent a game-month or more trying to get my best starter in the top 3 in wins but he kept being tied with the 2nd and 3rd place starters because they kept on winning.
  • If you enter the Active Player List, it should be at the first page, not at the page you were last at. The chances of you entering that list for the same reason as last time would be fairly low.
  • In the Amateur Draft, it would be good if you could get a recommendation from your scouting staff without having to actually draft that player.

Hey, great list.

If you to to the Active Player list, and sort by "Pitching Stats 1" or "Batting Stats 2", you can see a better leaderboard for home runs, pitching wins and such. Although if the actual leaderboard was more than top 3, that would be great too. But this is probably a better way to do it for now.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hey, great list.

If you to to the Active Player list, and sort by "Pitching Stats 1" or "Batting Stats 2", you can see a better leaderboard for home runs, pitching wins and such. Although if the actual leaderboard was more than top 3, that would be great too. But this is probably a better way to do it for now.
You can do that, but sorting by batting average is sometimes a pain. Those relievers that went 1-2 or 1-1 hog the top of the list.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #30
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post

I too think it's a very good list.

A solution to one of your things:

For leaving the active player list and going back, filter the players to DH. Since there should be no DHs, it will go to Page 1. Then filter to whatever you want.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #31
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

A few more ideas:

Something that could be implemented in later versions is a waiver system and a Rule 5 draft. It would be useful for cellar-dwelling teams to claim players off waivers.

I saw this suggestion in a different thread and it brings up a good point: I like the idea of allowing teams to bank money that they don't plan on using any time soon so they can use it later. This would be useful for rebuilding small-market teams, like what the Astros are doing in real life.

Another fairly obvious addition would be to allow more than 2 players to be inducted into the HOF each year.
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #32
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_15 View Post
A few more ideas:

Something that could be implemented in later versions is a waiver system and a Rule 5 draft. It would be useful for cellar-dwelling teams to claim players off waivers.

I saw this suggestion in a different thread and it brings up a good point: I like the idea of allowing teams to bank money that they don't plan on using any time soon so they can use it later. This would be useful for rebuilding small-market teams, like what the Astros are doing in real life.

Another fairly obvious addition would be to allow more than 2 players to be inducted into the HOF each year.
I think your last point is already in use. I have 4 guys in my HOF that say they were inducted in 2036.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #33
nate9485
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have also seen a bug where at the end of the season I get the email with the teams that made the playoffs, but no teams actually appear. It is just the standard text about the post season with no teams after the colon.
nate9485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #34
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Thanks for your feedback guys Sebastian is back at work for the iOOTP 2013 update, so he will look into the reported issues and fix the ones he can reproduce.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #35
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks for your feedback guys Sebastian is back at work for the iOOTP 2013 update, so he will look into the reported issues and fix the ones he can reproduce.
I, for one, am more than willing to be an active beta tester (iPhone 4S, iOS 7) for any update (if you need any). I play multiple times a day and am experienced with software development and testing.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Get me "improved gameplay" (I really don't care what - just keep bringing over more changes from OOTP), and proper support for the iphone 5 (use the whole screen, and I'll buy it.

My only recommendation is to change the pitching rotation screen to give me some stats along with my players, even if I have to scroll. I like having a couple numbers to tell at a glance how my hitters have been on the year, would be nice to see the same basic stats for pitchers (record, ERA, WHIP for starters, saves, ERA, and WHIP for relievers?).
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #37
Dr. Brian
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Wow. I have NEVER gotten a trade offer with money on the table. Is that for the regular game, or the iPhone game?
Dr. Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
nate9485
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Brian View Post
Wow. I have NEVER gotten a trade offer with money on the table. Is that for the regular game, or the iPhone game?
I've seen it fairly often in the iPhone version. I'm not sure if any money actually is exchanged though.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #39
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate9485 View Post
I've seen it fairly often in the iPhone version. I'm not sure if any money actually is exchanged though.
It is actually exchanged. If you receive a trade offer that has your team give $3 million to the other team, your budget will go down by $3 million. If you receive a trade offer that has your team receive $3 million, your budget will go up by $3 million.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #40
nate9485
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
It is actually exchanged. If you receive a trade offer that has your team give $3 million to the other team, your budget will go down by $3 million. If you receive a trade offer that has your team receive $3 million, your budget will go up by $3 million.
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't think I have actually been offered a trade with cash that I accepted. I just knew that they can be offered.