Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #41
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Guys, I think OP get's it. We don't have to keep telling him what he did wrong and act condescending towards him. He should've made backups, but life is life. He learned a lesson (hopefully). If he chooses to move past this or go to some other game, that's his decision.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #42
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Guys, I think OP get's it. We don't have to keep telling him what he did wrong and act condescending towards him. He should've made backups, but life is life. He learned a lesson (hopefully). If he chooses to move past this or go to some other game, that's his decision.
I don't think it was the responders to the OP the brought in the condescending tone.

In fact, I find the comportment of the responding posters to be remarkably admirable, considering what they were given to work with.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #43
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Tyler, I bend over backwards to help people here. On the other hand, I've been around long enough to suspect trolls from:
  • The quality of their posts, including spelling and grammar.
  • Their not wanting help; rather, they just want to send a message.
  • Their truculent attitudes when people start to challenge them.
  • Their hanging around after they say they've had it with the game.
I took a look at this guy; he started a few meaningful theads in April which leads me to believe that he is not your traditional troll. However, one can become a troll with childish statements and churlish behavior. If he is done with the game, let him move on. I ask again, what is his motive RIGHT NOW for continuing to post here if he is indeed done with OOTPB?

Heh. His light is still on, so he's lurking, watching us!

Whatever. One thing is for sure. I am done here, in this thread.

- Bru

Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
CatKnight
All Star Starter

I have to agree. The responders weren't the problem here.

If OP is done with OOTP, then why even bother posting to tell everyone why he's quitting?

Anyway, going from winning the WS to losing ruins the game? Really?

This is the first time an application's crashed? Really?

Incidentally, I think I've had OOTP crash on me ONCE in 5-6 years I've played - and that was the first published version. The first update took care of it.

If OP wants to go to BM....well, I think he's in for a nasty surprise. BM14 still isn't right, with the 'comprehensive' fix scheduled for I believe mid July.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
No sympathy. My entire laptop froze up last week and is being repaired. The hard drive may be fried. How much of my OOTP leagues did I lose? Two days worth, because every week I backup to a USB stick.

You don't back up then it's all on you.
Wolf, you should never use a hard drive again! What kind of company puts out a hard drive that fries!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #46
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I'm not saying the responders were wrong, just saying that we've said what we had to say and that we should be done with this thread, now.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
metsguy234
Minors (Triple A)

Coming from someone who is a former Sports Mogul forum regular and a former Baseball Mogul player (and someone who often talks with the owner of SM on Facebook), there's a reason a lot of the Sports Mogul forum regulars from a few years ago have moved over to OOTP...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I think its just common sense to back up. If MS Office crashes or your computer crashes you dont blame Microsoft for your lost data. If you can find the perfect software that can never be corrupted or will never ever crash id like to see it we always say its not my computer but fact is that it is your computer or else another person would be posting the same exact problems. Noone has the same exact settings and made the same changes on their pc and ran the same programs at the same time etc so yeah it is always our own pc that needs to be looked at first. You cant expect software to match every single situation. Theres bound to be a crash so always always back up what you want to keep.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #49
jotro
Minors (Double A)

I've had this problem, too. Instead of throwing a tantrum, I hit "esc". Problem solved.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Wolf, you should never use a hard drive again! What kind of company puts out a hard drive that fries!
Toshiba!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #51
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonezone View Post
i am on the 2019 season.

I just won the world series and was in offseason mode.

A trade proposal had occurred so i opened the further discuss screen.

from there the whole screen locked up.

now, i could hit the "x" in the top right corner window.

And then it asked if i was sure i wanted to exit the program.

I thought "simple solution, i will close, it saves like always, and i will restart."

Oh, but funny thing happened, it wouldn't let me hit OK. So no, i could not get the program to close, and the only thing that was not locked was the x in the top right corner. and i tried that again, but, all it does is reinforce the "are you sure you want to exit" message. I CANT HIT OK THOUGH!

So i had to terminate the process. Lost the last third of my season. re-simmed. didn't win it all this time.

So, i am now done with this game.

Thanks for wasting my 40 bucks and thanks for ruining something i found enjoyable.

it wasn't a computer problem...everything else on my computer worked just fine. It was a program problem.

And if i put something on the market, and made people pay 40 damn bucks of their hard-earned money, i would damn sure make sure the program works 100%

Unacceptable. I am done - time to retire.

Maybe ill try baseball mogul - never had this happen when i used them 5 years ago.
Good bye, but please do come back and let us know when you find that mythical program that costs $40 and "works 100%" - or a program that's free and works 100%, for that matter. I damn sure know it's not Baseball Mogul. Or any other major sports game. Or any game in general. But, hey, good luck in your search.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #52
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Toshiba!
Actually my last Toshiba laptop lasted quite well. Got it in Oct 2011 and just sold it last month to get another Toshiba. Never had a problem with the hdd that wad related to the drive itself. Have a Toshiba passport hdd for even longer and still works fine. Id trust Toshiba before id trust Dell.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #53
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

I am editing my league's database right now, trying to clear out a bunch of players who are no longer around in real life. And the game keeps shutting down whenever I try to get rid of Jolbert Cabrera. Don't know why he's the problem, all I know is he won't stop crashing the game. This stuff happens. I will do a database purge tonight and then try to retire Cabrera again. Hopefully that will stop the problem.

And maybe that's what's wrong with the OP's database. For those of you who aren't familiar with the database purge, it takes a while to accomplish but it gets rid of most of the freezes and crashes, especially when a database starts to get bloated. Go to Game then Database Info. Click on the button in the lower right part of the screen then click Purge Database. A little screen will pop up explaining what this will do, and you'll have to enter the word purge into the little box. Once this starts, it gets rid of deleted players, teams, stats, etc., that are clogging up the game and helps it run smoother.

Last edited by OBSL Commish; 06-28-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #54
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I've had the "stoppage" when using the "x" to close the program. Esc solves it. I guess the OP never hit that button.

Since he's so aware of how to terminate a process, he could have just simmed to the world series and if he lost, terminated the process and tried again. This way he could still get the results he wanted.

I've done this plenty of times before when I made a stupid oops move, like forgetting to deselect the mass select buttons, and getting rid of players.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

thanks for ruining for me

I just had this sort of problem with Wolverine Studios' Pro Basketball 3 this week. I save my game RELIGIOUSLY and every time I save I make a brand new league file. With that system, I am avoiding losing as much progress as possible.

Do games have bugs? Yes, of course they do. Do they stop working at some of the most in opportune times? Unfortunately, yes they do. But does that mean you should come back complaining and asking for your money back? No sir it does not. And it isn't like your save was corrupted or anything, you just didn't win the title. If it bothers you that bad, sim the game until you finally win it.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #56
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
I am editing my league's database right now, trying to clear out a bunch of players who are no longer around in real life. And the game keeps shutting down whenever I try to get rid of Jolbert Cabrera. Don't know why he's the problem, all I know is he won't stop crashing the game. This stuff happens. I will do a database purge tonight and then try to retire Cabrera again. Hopefully that will stop the problem.

And maybe that's what's wrong with the OP's database. For those of you who aren't familiar with the database purge, it takes a while to accomplish but it gets rid of most of the freezes and crashes, especially when a database starts to get bloated. Go to Game then Database Info. Click on the button in the lower right part of the screen then click Purge Database. A little screen will pop up explaining what this will do, and you'll have to enter the word purge into the little box. Once this starts, it gets rid of deleted players, teams, stats, etc., that are clogging up the game and helps it run smoother.
Did you try just retiring him?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #57
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Did you try just retiring him?
Yeah I tried that. If I right-click on him, the game stops working. If I go into his player profile and click on the Action button at the bottom to delete or retire him, the options never come up and the game crashes. It's really weird because I can sim games with no problems and I can do everything else normally. I just can't get rid of Cabrera -- yet. I know there is a way to do it and I hope the database purge helps me.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #58
soxfan34
Major Leagues

I remember when I was in 8th grade and my parents let me use the computer for games too!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #59
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Yeah I tried that. If I right-click on him, the game stops working. If I go into his player profile and click on the Action button at the bottom to delete or retire him, the options never come up and the game crashes. It's really weird because I can sim games with no problems and I can do everything else normally. I just can't get rid of Cabrera -- yet. I know there is a way to do it and I hope the database purge helps me.
If that doesn't seem to work try an export and reimport of the players.csv. Maybe something in his data is corrupted and you can fix it before reimporting.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Old 06-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #60
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
And it isn't like your save was corrupted or anything, you just didn't win the title. If it bothers you that bad, sim the game until you finally win it.
Heh, you want to see failing and lots of it, fire up Race into Space or its predecessor Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space. Even with you set to the easiest level and the AI set to the hardest, good luck making it to the Moon. The game is often positively cruel. I remember one game recently where I had launched a sum total of three manned space flights. That's it. Just three. And two of them had failures resulting in fatalities. (The AI, on the other hand, managed nine manned missions without a failure. The bastard! ).

RIS and BARIS have a well-earned reputation for being one of the hardest computer games to beat ever made.
Closed Thread