Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #21
FoosballWizard
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to him, not even joking.
You know a guy is a crook when his doppleganger is running the same scheme in parallel universes.
FoosballWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Okay....now in my game premier international FA Pablo Zaragoza of Cuba has decided, not more than 3-4 games into spring training, to retire in favor of pursuing a golf career. On the basis that he played it in college and almost qualified in Q-School.

Some of these still need some work in the eligibility department, methinks.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
Minors (Double A)

I still don't think I've ever seen a storyline in OOPT 13 or 14 (I do have the option turned on). I'm not even sure what they are. Different that a regular news story?

The stories that drive me crazy are those where you have a zero-value 37-year old backup, for example, demanding a trade a week before the end of the season, when the trade deadline has passed and he's scheduled to become a free agent after the season.

On the other hand, when the playoffs and World Series roll around, the newspapers are dead silent until the winner is finally crowned (other than big individual performances of the type that normally get reported during the season). Seems like there would be all kinds of great storylines around the playoffs/world series or batting/home run/mvp/ROY, cy young award races, pennant races, etc. -- the basic stuff you want to follow but have get by clicking around to all sorts of reports rather than just following the big issues in a newspaper or news listing format, but it doesn't seem like there aren't any at all.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to identify the 10 biggest story lines actual fans want to follow in real-life baseball (MVP, home run, champ, whatever else, I don't even know) and make (crowdsource) a wide variety of unique storylines on these subjects (otherwise you get constant repetition like the scouting reports saying ad nauseum a player is an "excellent, if not elite offensive force"). The storylines in OOTP generally should be like the most important storylines in real life. Any other type storylines are a bonus. Otherwise all the important stories get completely ignored while random storylines pop up out of left field.

Anyway, I've always been a little bit baffled by this feature. So much can be done creating immersion by using news. But instead I typically ignore news features or storylines and just check a couple logs after every game (injury, transaction, news).
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #24
Minors (Double A)

Why haven't I ever seen a storyline? I just read the feature described in OOTP 13 and I've never seen anything like this. Is there somewhere I can check?
01010010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
Okay....now in my game premier international FA Pablo Zaragoza of Cuba has decided, not more than 3-4 games into spring training, to retire in favor of pursuing a golf career. On the basis that he played it in college and almost qualified in Q-School.

I agree. While I'm sure there are people who find this type of thing a plus in their game, I'm willing to bet the majority of those who play OOTP don't want to see this happening.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Emphasis on crazy personal storylines seems bizarre when there still isn't any good playoff news system.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Emphasis on crazy personal storylines seems bizarre when there still isn't any good playoff news system.
I also wish the newspaper/news system would cover things like winning streaks, losing streaks. Teams making a move in the standings either up or down. If a team is folding down the stretch like the Braves/Mets it would be cool to read about it.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Good point.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
Pacoheadley
All Star Reserve

The only one so far that bugged me was Lance Berkman retiring to start a political career only 3 days after signing a shiny new 2 year $25 million deal. If he was still a FA or previously signed I'd be fine, but he had just agreed to this deal.
Pacoheadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #30
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Just keep storylines off. One day they will hopefully not be so ludicrous.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #31
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Regarding the Cuban import who decided to play golf, in my head I'm treating it as him deciding to go back to Cuba, maybe because the government threatened his family or something.

I do agree, these need work, but I (personally) can usually find a way to justify it to myself, even if not using the actual reason from the storyline.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Just keep storylines off. One day they will hopefully not be so ludicrous.
Probably a good time for a reminder. Contributions are welcome to better suit anyone's preferences as the system evolves and improves.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...requested.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ries-here.html
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #33
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacoheadley View Post
The only one so far that bugged me was Lance Berkman retiring to start a political career only 3 days after signing a shiny new 2 year $25 million deal. If he was still a FA or previously signed I'd be fine, but he had just agreed to this deal.
Thanks. This will be fixed.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I also wish the newspaper/news system would cover things like winning streaks, losing streaks. Teams making a move in the standings either up or down. If a team is folding down the stretch like the Braves/Mets it would be cool to read about it.
Winning and losing streaks are in, just not a ton of storylines. There are also streaks for losing and winning seasons between playoff appearance. Magic number stories and playoff clenches are also in.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #35
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks. This will be fixed.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #36
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I just had a weird pair of storylines.

First, Orioles CF Kyle Hudson was hit in the head by a ball from a pitching machine, and was taken to a hospital for an expected concussion.

Couple days later, come to find out he has a.....calf injury? Huh?
This will be fixed.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I had the exact same thing happen to him, not even joking.
That story is entirely random based on a few criteria based on age, intelligence, etc. Pretty funny that he has so many issues with his taxes
Old 05-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

What?

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #39
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Probably a good time for a reminder. Contributions are welcome to better suit anyone's preferences as the system evolves and improves.
I volunteer to help write pennant race and playoff news templates. My opinions on storylines are not positive.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #40
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Most (possibly all) of the 'weird injury' storylines people are pointing out are based on things that happened in real life MLB baseball. If Glenallen Hill can miss time after having a nightmare about spiders, Clint Barmes can miss months after falling down stairs while carrying a package of deer meat, or Nolan Ryan can miss a start after getting bitten by a coyote, well, lots of weird stuff happens in real life.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote