Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
Go Tribe
All Star Starter

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
didn't puresim have an animated ball flight?

some game did, can't remember
Go Tribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
Pretty deep seeded response for such a small addition don't ya think?
Seated, not seeded. And no, it's my automatic reaction when people try to trash good things.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #23
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
didn't puresim have an animated ball flight?

some game did, can't remember
Yes. That's where I came from to this game.

It really may be a simple feature (and it was not without flaws in Puresim either) but I find it miles better than the F/G/FOUL... thing.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #24
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Seated, not seeded. And no, it's my automatic reaction when people try to trash good things.

Are you saying the ball animation currently in the game is a good thing and should never be improved?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
Are you saying the ball animation currently in the game is a good thing and should never be improved?
No. It's garbage. But it's still far better than stupid video clips.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Like this?
Attached Images
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #27
BigCity
All Star Starter

Yep-yep-yep!
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Like this?
I'm fine with the game the way it is.. but that would be fantastic right there. Especially if it showed a throw from the shortstop (or any position) to first base in the same fashion.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, Wolf, you got that reaction down-packed, huh?
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #30
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Like this?
Cool... find me an investor with $5m in the pocket and I'll make that happen.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #31
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #32
ajsas01
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I think you might be too established for the angel of Notch to swoop in, unfortunately.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is the best baseball text sim in the world. Trying to turn OOTP into a graphics game comes under the business school heading of abandoning key value creating processes, which is a common reason that successful businesses fail.

If you want graphics with your baseball, I urge you to play MLB The Show 13. It has a non-arcade franchise/manager mode, has amazing graphics, excellent announcers, a decent soundtrack and it plays a good game of baseball. It's light on franchise stats and isn't customizable, but it plays a great game of modern baseball. I play it myself and strongly recommend it.

But please don't try to hack the best baseball text sim in the world with bad graphics so that it becomes instead the worst graphical baseball sim in the world.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
If I ever win the EuroMillions (unlikely, since I rarely if ever play it...), then OOTPD will be on the list of investments lol.

Quote:
But please don't try to hack the best baseball text sim in the world with bad graphics so that it becomes instead the worst graphical baseball sim in the world.
The key then is to make the graphics good, which is why it isn't going to happen any time soon. It doesn't have to be 3D or anything, something like the old Football manager graphics, with the coloured dots, would be fine for most people.

Last edited by Cryomaniac; 03-27-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
BigCity
All Star Starter

I always have a difficult time following this "graphics-type" conversation. There seems to be 3 distinct groups...

1. Hardcore Text-based defenders - this group wants nothing to do with graphics. I get the impression (maybe) they are afraid that once you start down that road, requests for improvements might progress to weaken the game.

2. Simplistic ball flight - This is where I find myself. A simple "ball leaves bat" and does one of 3 things; A) grounder, B) line drive, C) fly ball. These actions would be directed to a fielding OOTP position already in the game and the play results (text) would remain the same.

3. Complex animations - This group wants various embellishments that would display a realistic representation of watching a baseball game.

These 3 paths also define what needs to be done.. 1 = do nothing, 2 = add something similar to what Puresim had and make it optional, 3 = hire an animation team capable of creating something like High Heat.

I think it's fair to nod to Markus' comment about $5 million to accomplish #3, but I also think it's fair to consider those folks in Group #2 who would get the ball animations with an On-Off switch so they wouldn't be stepping on the wishes of Group #1.

The only other comment/question I would make to Markus is I can't believe Puresim shelled out a huge fortune to add their ball animations. The field locations are already in the game so it seems half the work is already in place?

BC
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #36
ajsas01
Major Leagues

Quote:
OOTP is the best baseball text sim in the world. Trying to turn OOTP into a graphics game comes under the business school heading of abandoning key value creating processes, which is a common reason that successful businesses fail.

If you want graphics with your baseball, I urge you to play MLB The Show 13. It has a non-arcade franchise/manager mode, has amazing graphics, excellent announcers, a decent soundtrack and it plays a good game of baseball. It's light on franchise stats and isn't customizable, but it plays a great game of modern baseball. I play it myself and strongly recommend it.

I would respectfully note that, as a player who plays out every game for every team (full managing god-mode, if you will), I would love to see some sort of animation that reflects the play at hand.
The animation should show the results of the behind-the-scenes simming. I don't think anyone is asking for a physics-based determination of the play.
Puresim has a simple ball-flight animation that I wish was in OOTP. It's amazing how much suspense is added in that first split second when a flyball is lifted to the outfield wall.
I'm not asking for MLB the Show graphics. I can't afford a PS3. I don't think adding a NES-era height indication to the ball will result in "abandon(ing) (OOTP's) key value(s)")

Last edited by ajsas01; 03-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.
ajsas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Quote:

EA tried two times with reboots of the SimCity franchise.

SimCity Societies crashed and burned.

the most recent SC is in the process of crashing and burning.
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #38
ajsas01
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawa666 View Post
EA tried two times with reboots of the SimCity franchise.

SimCity Societies crashed and burned.

the most recent SC is in the process of crashing and burning.
I'm probably being an idiot, but could you elaborate on this point? Not sure how it applies to the discussion...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
once you start down that road, requests for improvements might progress to weaken the game.
Once you start down that graphics road this is guaranteed to happen.

Do you want a superb text sim or an inferior graphics game, given that if you choose the latter that the superb text sim is lost forever? That's an easy decision.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
ajsas01
Major Leagues

Quote:
Once you start down that graphics road this is guaranteed to happen.

Do you want a superb text sim or an inferior graphics game, given that if you choose the latter that the superb text sim is lost forever? That's an easy decision.
I would 100% agree with you if adding graphics resulted in the play on the field being determined via ball/ball physics and not the simulating engine.

However, improving the in-game graphics to show what has already been simulated by the engine would not make the "text game" any less superb. It's not like the underlying OOTP simulating system goes "poof" if the in-game graphics are improved.

I normally agree with you on most things Wolf, but we seem to be at an impasse here.