Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Eddie Paxil
Major Leagues

League Expansion in OOTP Taken as Deep as Possible

I had wanted to post this for quite a while. The online league I created "The OMLB" attempted as deep, detailed, and fair an expansion as I have ever seen in my 11 years playing OOTP. I'm going to detail everything we did below, but first a bit of info for commissioners, and really a warning.

Did it work? That depends on what you think satisfies that question. Everything that was intended to happen inside the game worked, and got the results we wanted. However, the process was insanely stressful for me the commissioner, and the stress (not the effectiveness of the process) lead to the death of the league

Why is that?

Let's start here. No matter how much information I put out or how early I put it out for discussion and vote, there was always someone that was NOT interested in reading it until the last minute. Upon discovering they were being affected (we all were) they decided the days before implementation was the time to debate. Now if you're wondering what I mean by early, in some cases 7 months notice was given with constant reminders to read. Also, all new GMs were directed to read the expansion plans as they stood from prior voting, and made aware of where in the process we were. But that was just during the process. I built eventual expansion as a rule in the first league constitution before a single GM was recruited, and made sure everyone knew. Still an original GM asked me 7 seasons in upon expansion being announced, "Why are we expanding? That's a bad idea." I tried my best to keep the league informed in general, but there was always a population that was clueless and uncaring of that, or honestly just trolling. This wasn't so bad when the league was running normally, but within and around this detailed attempt at expansion it was very stressful for me as the commissioner.

There was also the constant question of what's realistic? In some cases something wasn't meant to be "realistic" per say, it was just something there to represent something as realistic as possible within the confines of limitations the game itself dealt us. I tried to keep the process within the game as much as possible so neutrality could not be questioned. In other cases the question of realism is hard to answer when looking 10 years in the future, and more so looking at it as a fan not an executive, owner, or an athlete building a brand.

There was also unwarranted Expansion Draft stress. Common in expansion. I've been through many expansion drafts, and its never as bad as anyone thinks its going to be. As reassuring as I tried to be, and as much as I kept saying, "wait until you see the list," expansion draft stress was as out of control as I've ever seen. Probably because of the detailed nature of this process, and no one really looking at it or reading, until the last minute.

I should also say that the league died on the heels of this, not because the expansion process failed in game, but because while I was trying to recover from the insane stress it caused, my league file was hacked by a GM from another league, and replaced with one that was very detailed and contained not only insults to me, but homophobic rants about a member of my family who was still a teenager. I was done as commissioner and an OOTP player, and the league did not survive.

With that said, I believe this process is best attempted by leagues with true multiple commissioners, and aspects and responsibilities divided. Consider everything above an honest telling of the area I either went wrong or what I wasn't prepared for. Now to the process itself.

I'm going to lay out the process step by step as we did after voting with comments and results in italics. Now you guys will be getting the full version, I also created an abridged version where GMs could read what was affecting them. Both were always posted and available on the forum, and constantly pointed and referred to. We were an MLB based league that started with 2014 rosters, but aspects of this could be used in any league type really.

The OMLB Expansion Process

The first 28 points detail the two seasons that the expansion teams exist outside of the OMLB. While Points 29-45 detail things that happen after the end of the 2026 season when the teams become part of the main OMLB.

1. We will be creating a separate two team expansion league after the end of the 2024 season in the file that is a major league with affiliates. This major league will have an identical reputation, player creation modifiers, financial parameters, and rules settings both in the majors and minors as the main OMLB. It will be completely separate in the game but affiliated like a promotion relegation league.
Comment: I did a ton of research on expansion leading to this process. I found that Branch Rickey might have been on to something when he speculated that expansion should be done via adding a separate third league and later merging. I think he may have been proven right by that very concept being the nature of the very successful NFL-AFL merger albeit unintentional in that case. Starting the two franchises early is something that was essentially done in 93 and 98 we just took it a bit further. It's also the only real way to represent what they did in 98. Although I guess we could have also made it so that this separate league played no games. This obviously works best with four or more expansion teams so the second league isn't two teams constantly playing each other, but the concept held even with two teams.

2. The only relationship to the OMLB is that it will share a draft pool, can sign from the same pool of free agents, and the teams may trade with OMLB teams.
Comment: The 98 expansion teams even made one trade, and signed some free agents. They even poached a draft pick that didn't sign. In general this process was intended to give expansion teams a running start to get up to speed with the other teams. While us as sports fans have been conditioned that expansion teams are door mats, that isn't really right is it. Would you want to spend $400 mil on an entrance fee with no shot to improve quickly the right way, and embolden your fan base?

3. I will be updating all OMLB affiliates to their eventual destination, but not realigning until 2027 at the end of 2024, if we can agree on what the minors should look like.
Comments: Often we forget that minor league affiliates are constantly changing. So with a realignment necessary we also included updating all affiliates.

4. This separate league will get its draft pool players from our MLB draft pool. StatsPlus allows for the expansion teams to pick using the association tool designed for promotion/ relegation leagues, that way their players are off the board when OMLB teams pick and vice versa. During the 2025, 2026, & 2027 drafts expansion teams will pick last in every actual round. We will be adding more players to the pool to accommodate for the new quantity of teams each year.
Comments: Self explanatory.

5. A roll of polyhedral dice will determine the which expansion team has the higher draft pick in Round One for 2025. However, 2026 and 2027 will see the champion of the separate league get the higher pick in the first round. Subsequent rounds will alternate. The loser of the roll of the die for 2025 will get the first pick in the expansion draft.
Comments: Gave some incentive to win in the expansion league even if it was only a slot.

6. The expansion fees will be pocketed by the owners so you will not get that in your finances.
Comments: Our league had excellent finances and we did not want to throw them off.

7. In the, “Separate Expansion League,” finances will be constrained. Here are the financial rules for the separate expansion league:
• $100M Budget firm and a hard cap at the same number.
• Media Revenue will fall under the same rules normal OMLB teams. It must be at least 75% of the highest media revenue.
• Development must be maxed out by the expansion teams at 30 million.
• Scouting must be maxed out for the expansion teams at $10m.
• Expansion teams must also set $10M for draftee bonuses.
• Expansion teams must be set $10M for IFA bonuses.
• This leaves $40M for players and staff.
• NONE would carry over to the OMLB. Use it or lose it.
• Any major-league contracts are honored when the players are moved to the official MLB organization,
• MLB SERVICE TIME FROM THE SEPARATE EXPANSION LEAGUE WILL NOT CARRY OVER. All service time from the separate league will be converted to minor league OMLB service time.
Comments: These rules allowed more creativity for the expansion GMs than one might realize, and certainly helped in player development. The mistake here as an expansion GM would be not realizing it, and treating this like other expansions. You could take salary dumps with prospects, deal for an excess younger guy with a salary, all emphasized after salary retention was built into the game. It should also be noted that the game took care of service time on its own. And, that even though the two leagues had an equal reputation, level, and finances, the game still treated the main MLB as more desirable by players and the expansion teams were being asked for more money than the MLB teams by average and AAAA players.

8. The two expansion GMs have full use of any Achievement Points they bring with them.
Comments: We had a points system, it could be utilized on very carefully chosen things. Only two would be worth an expansion GMs while, seats and fan interest points. And utilizing them should be strategic based on timing. Like right before opening day on Fan Interest, and before the first MLB season seats.

9. The two expansion teams can name and locate their minor-league teams as they choose allowing for competitive spacing.
Comments: This gets into territories which is real in baseball, especially with anti trust exemption, each league would decide parameters. We knew we broke the MLB territories in an unrealistic way but it was part of what everyone signed up for. Our markets were Las Vegas, and New Jersey.

10. The two expansion teams will be allotted the basic park under the Achievement point rewards. Which is a 35,000-seat retractable roof grass stadium. Roof subsidized by MLB per league rules. They may add 100 seats for every 25 Achievement points used. They may change the surface for 50 Achievement points.

11. Gambo’s Stadium Chart v2013 will be used to determine park factors. Weather will be taken into account for park factors.
Comments: I always appreciated this chart, and found the creation portion effective. Other tools exist for this now.

12. The expansion teams may trade 50 Achievement Points for 1 Fan Interest Point. They can only go as high as 80 in Fan Interest via this method.

13. The Market Size for BOTH Expansion Teams will be 6.
Comments: This was carefully debated based on TV markets, minor league attendance, population etc. Again our markets were Las Vegas and New Jersey.

14. The Fan Interest for BOTH Expansion Teams will be set to 65 to start with a +5 Modifier.
Comments: 65 was a base we never allowed a team to fall under after a season ended. This was a great help to our financials. Adding that +5 made sense, call it an excitement factor. Also, remember pints could be used to add 10 more and reach 80.

15. The Fan Loyalty for New Jersey will be 8.

16. The Fan Loyalty for Las Vegas will be 7.
Comments: Loyalties were again carefully debated, factoring in minor league attendance, media coverage, etc.

17. During the two separate Expansion Seasons the Stats settings for Players will be set to “Keep All.” This will enable everyone involved to have as much information as possible entering the expansion draft. This will give expansion teams more to do frankly since they are playing one team all season. After the expansion draft the setting will be changed back to “Major League Only” unless we find that the file size impact was not so great.
Comments: The file size did inflate, so we did go back. And it did help having that info for the expansion draft. How much? Probably could have done without doing this.

18. The expansion teams can’t sign MLB (Note MLB) free agents that are age 26-34 during the two seasons before they start play. After the 2026 season, they can do whatever an OMLB team can. They can trade for or claim MLB players of any age.
Comments: Minor league free agents are open game. Giving these expansion GMs a chance to be creative, and maybe find diamonds in the rough.

19. International free agents of MLB quality can’t be signed by the expansion teams between the ages of 26-34 for the 2025 SEASON ONLY. After that first season, they have free reign over International Free Agents. This is basically a restriction on players from Japan, Cuba, and Australia.
Comments: Judge the caliber by contract expectation and current not potential rating, I say. Didn't come up though. The expansion teams held on those ages mostly because their acquisitions skewed young other than creative salary dumps.

20. Expansion teams will have access to sign any International Amateur Free Agent immediately as do all Leagues in the file.
Comments: Self-explanatory

21. They can sign any minor league free agent to any type of contract they want, if the contract is within our league rules.
Comments: They were just expected to stick to our contract rules.

22. Players one year removed from the MLB even if their last club was an MLB club carry no restriction for expansion teams.
Comments: Makes sense, why restrict when they went unsigned for a whole season.

23. Expansion teams will have Rk and Short Season-A affiliates for 2025. A and A+ will be added for 2026, and when the club debuts in 2027 they will get a AA & AAA team too. They will also have a Winter League in their separate league, and of course upon joining the OMLB.
Comments: basically followed the 98 expansion pattern.

24. The separate Expansion League will play 162 games. In all 26 of the weeks in the season it will feature a full slate of home games for one of the two teams. In 20 of the weeks there will be 6 games. In 6 of the weeks there will be 7 games. So home field alternates by week. This gives both teams 81 Home games.
Comments: Worked well the alternating weeks factored in travel. Same concept was applied in the expansion minors.

25. When Las Vegas has home field for a sim the league will have the DH on, but when New Jersey is the Home Team the DH will be off. Only at the Major-League Level.
Comments: Very tricky to remember. Done over I might just have gone DH for the expansion leagues.

26. For simplicity, and to give the Expansion GMs more control over the minors since they only have one continuous opponent. Their minors will have the identically mirrored schedule of their major-league team.
Comments: Self-Explanatory.

27. The separate league’s majors, minors, and winter leagues will not have an All-Star game.

28. The expansion teams in the separate league will play a practice schedule just between each other with no playoffs. The team with the better record takes the title. The reward is the higher pick in Round 1 of the next draft though subsequent rounds will alternate. I will also schedule exhibitions with foreign teams during their offseason. The expansion teams will also play exhibitions against MLB clubs during spring training.

29. The expansion teams join the main OMLB via the in-game expansion tool after the 2026 season.
Comments: The key here is we still used the in game expansion tool.

30. The players, coaches, and scouts from the separate league are moved to the the new versions of expansion teams. Contracts remain the same.Coaches and scouts are edited, players are traded in bulk there.

31. Expansion team financials, market sizes, fan interest, and fan loyalty will be set BEFORE the expansion draft immediately upon the creation of the expansion teams via in game expansion tool.

32. The budgets for the expansion teams once they’ve joined the main OMLB will be whatever is randomly generated by the AI when the expansion teams are created in the MLB after the 2026 season. This way it’s completely random and no one can say a rule screwed them.
Comments: Interesting to note. Testing and the draft confirmed this. Expansion teams could go over budget via the expansion draft. While most GMs nowadays skew towards young picks, this still came into effect due to ported contracts.

33. Media Revenue will fall under the same rules normal OMLB teams. It must be at least 75% of the highest media revenue.
Comments: Part of the league's strong finances came from this rule. This does not deal with gate or mercy. Specifically media and TV. The combo of media revenue could never be less than 3/4 the highest among the MLB teams.

34. The Market Size for BOTH Expansion Teams will be 6.
Comments: Mirrors earlier.

35. The Fan Interest for BOTH Expansion Teams will be set to 65 to start with a +5 Modifier.

36. The Fan Loyalty for New Jersey will be 8.

37. The Fan Loyalty for Las Vegas will be 7.

38. The Las Vegas expansion team will be created as the Las Vegas Rat Pack because the game accurately chooses Las Vegas, Nevada for the expansion city.

39. The New Jersey expansion team will be created as the East Rutherford Pioneers, and after City name wise changed to New Jersey. This is because it is the only way the game recognizes the intended city as East Rutherford, New Jersey.

40. The expansion draft will be held the moment Free Agents declare after the 2026 season. There will be 35 selections over essentially 2 and 1/6 rounds. Teams will get a flat 20-man protection list. Players with less than 3 years of service time are automatically protected. Teams cannot lose more than three players from their unprotected list.
Comments: There was unwarranted confusion here. This isn't 100% reflective of how the 98 expansion was done. But covered as much as possible in utilizing the in game tool. We went flat 20 man protection rather than allowing pullbacks after each round to make the expansion draft not be dependent on waiting for GMs to get their pull backs in. The 3 years of service time covered as much of the intended pool as possible. Not 100% exact but as close with the given tools as possible.

41. Expansion teams cannot trade expansion picks, but can trade players chosen and make any deals with any OMLB team within rules during or after the expansion draft.

42. Realignment after expansion will be as follows, and take place when the expansion tool has been executed:
American League

American League East
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
New York
Tampa Bay
Toronto

American League West
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Oakland
Seattle
Texas
Las Vegas Rat Pack

National League East
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Washington
New Jersey Pioneers

National League West
Atlanta
Arizona
Cincinnati
Colorado
Los Angeles
Miami
San Diego
San Francisco

43. The Playoff Format after expansion & realignment will be as follows:
• In each sub league, we advance two division champions who get a bye and both 2nd place teams, then the next two best records overall are wild cards. Seeds for the wild cards are the lowest. We distinguish between each type of participant by record.
• 1st place teams are seeded 1/2, 2nd place teams are seeded 3/4, and wild card teams are seeded 5/6. Reseed after each round.
• Disable start date staggering. Enable fixed series start dates.
• Wild Card Series: Best-of-3, better seed hosts all games. If both teams participating in a series finished with the same record after 162 games, manually flip home field for Game 1 in that series so that it's a 1-2 format.
• Division Series: Best-of-5, 2-2-1 format.
• League Championship Series: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format.
• World Series: Best-of-7, 2-3-2 format, hosted by the team with the better regular-season record.

44. There was a creative inter league schedule created by one of our GMs to accommodate 162 games for 32 teams. Won't apply to every league.

45. Minor League movements and alignments a:Major League Baseball Post 2027 Alignment with Minors New Alignment [Main GM League]

American League

American League East
Baltimore
Boston
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
New York
Tampa Bay
Toronto

American League West
Houston
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Minnesota
Oakland
Seattle
Texas
Las Vegas Rat Pack

National League

National League East
Chicago
Milwaukee
New York
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Washington
New Jersey Pioneers

National League West
Atlanta
Arizona
Cincinnati
Colorado
Los Angeles
Miami
San Diego
San Francisco

Triple A (AAA)

International League

IL Northeast Division
Buffalo Bison (TOR)
Scranton WB RailRiders (NYA)
Syracuse Chiefs (NYN)
Pawtucket Red Sox (BOS)
Rochester Red Wings (WAS)
Somerset Patriots (NJP)

IL Southwest Division
Durham Bulls (TBA)
Charlotte Knights (CHA)
Norfolk Tides (BAL)
Columbus Clippers (CLE)
Toledo Mud Hens (DET)
Lehigh Valley IronPigs (PHI)

American Association

AA North Division
Memphis Redbirds (SLN)
Iowa Cubs (CHN)
Nashville Sounds (OAK)
Indianapolis Indians (PIT)
Ottawa Lynx (MIN)

AA South Division
New Orleans Baby Cakes (MIA)
Round Rock Express (TEX)
Oklahoma City Dodgers (LAN)
Gwinnet Braves (ATL)
Louisville Bats (CIN

Pacific Coast League

PCL North Division
Colorado Spring Sky Sox (MIL)
Salt Lake Bees (LAA)
El Paso Chihuahuas (SDN)
Albuquerque Isotopes (COL)
Omaha Storm Chasers (KCA)

PCL South Division
Fresno Grizzlies (HOU)
Sacramento River Cats (SFN)
Tacoma Rainiers (SEA)
Reno Aces (LVA)
Mexico Diablos Rojos (ARI)

Double A

Texas League

TEX North Division
Springfield Cardinals (SLN)
Tulsa Drillers (LAD)
Northwest Arkansas Naturals (KCA)
Arkansas Traveler (SEA)
Manchaca Yankees (NYA)

TEX South Division
Corpus Christi Hooks (HOU)
Frisco RoughRiders (TEX)
San Antonio Missions (SDN)
TBD Las Vegas Affiliate (LVA)
Midland Rock Hounds (OAK)

Eastern League

Eastern Division
New Hamshire Fisher Cats (TOR)
Trenton Thunder (NJP)
Portland Sea Dogs (BOS)
Binghamton Rumble Ponies (NYN)
Reading Fighting Phils (PHI)
Hartford Yard Goats (COL)

Western Division
Harrisburg Senators (WAS)
Altoona Curve (PIT)
Bowie Baysox (BAL)
Akron RubberDucks (CLE)
Erie Sea Wolves (DET)
Richmond Flying Squirrels (SFN)

Southern League

SL North Division
Jackson Generals (SLN)
Tennesse Smokies (CHN)
Montgomery Biscuits (TBA)
Birmingham Barons(CHA)
Chattanooga Lookouts (MIN)

SL South Division
Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (MIA)
Mississippi Braves (ATL)
Biloxi Shuckers (MIL)
Mobile BayBears (LAA)
Pennsicola Blue Wahoos (CIN)

High Single A (A+)

California League

CAL North Division
San Jose Giants (SFN)
Visalia Rawhide (ARI)
Stockton Ports (OAK)
Modesto Nuts (SEA)
Lancaster Jethawks (COL)

CAL South Division
Inland Empire 66ers(LAA)
Lake Elsinore Storm (SDN)
Tarzana Great Apes (LVV)
Manhattan Beach Bayfish (NJN)
Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (LAN)

Florida State League

FSL North
Dunedin Blue Jays (TOR)
Tampa Yankees (NYA)
Dayton Tortugas (CIN)
Florida Fire Frogs (ATL)
Clearwater Threshers (PHI)
Lakeland Flying Tigers (DET)

FSL South
Palm Beach Cardinals (SLN
Bradenton Marauders (PIT)
Jupiter Hammerheads (MIA)
Fort Myers Miracle (MIN)
St. Lucie Mets (NYN)
Charlotte Stone Crabs (TBA)

Carolina League

CAR Northern Division
Salem Red Sox (BOS)
Wilmington Blue Rocks (KCA)
Lynchburg Hillcats (CLE)
Frederick Keys (BAL)
Potomac Nationals (MIN)

CAR Southern Division
Buies Creek Astros (HOU)
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (CHN)
Carolina Mudcats (MIL)
Down East Wood Ducks (TEX)
Winston Salem Dash (CHA)

South Atlantic League

Northern Division
Albany Polecats (LVA)
West Virginia Power (PIT)
Hagerstown Suns (WAS)
Kannapolis Intimidators (CHA)
Elmira Rivermen (PHI)
Lakewood BlueClaws (NJP)
Delmarva Shorebirds (BAL)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (MIA)
Lexington Legends (KCR)

Southern Division
Charleston RiverDogs (NYA)
Columbia Fireflies (NYN)
Asheville Tourists (COL)
Rome Braves (ATL)
Augusta GreenJackets (SFG)
Greenville Drive (BOS)
Hickory Crawdads (TEX)

Midwest League

Eastern Division
South Bend Cubs (CHN)
Lansing Lugnuts (TOR)
West Michigan Whitecaps (DET)
Dayton Dragons (CIN)
Bowling Green Hot Rods (TBA)
Great Lakes Loons (LAD)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (SDP)
Lake County Captains (CLE)

Western Division
Cedar Rapids Kernels (MIN)
Clinton LumberKings (SEA)
Peoria Chiefs (STL)
Quad Cities River Bandits (HOU)
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (MIL)
Burlington Bees (LAA)
Kane County Cougars (ARI)
Beloit Snappers (OAK)

Short Season A (S A)

New York-Penn League

NYP Stedler Division
Vermont Lake Monsters (OAK)
Batavia Muckdogs (MIA)
Auburn Doubledays (WAS)
Hudson Valley Renegades (TBA)

NYP McNamara Division
Staten Island Yankees (NYA)
Brooklyn Cyclones (NYN)
Williamsport Crosscutters (PHI)
Montclair Jackals (NJN)

NYP Pinckney Division
Aberdeen Ironbirds (BAL)
West Virginia Black Bears (PIT)
Mahoning Valley Scrappers (CLE)
Bethel Park White Wings (LVA)

NYP Julian Division
State College Spikes (SLN)
Connecticut Tigers (DET)
Lowell Spiners (BOS)
Tri Valle Cats (HOU)

Northwest League

North
Everett Aqua Sox (SEA)
Tri City Dust Devils (SDN)
Spokane Indians (TEX)
Vancouver Canadians (TOR)

South
Boise Hawks (COL)
Eugene Emeralds (CHN)
Hillsboro Hops (ARI)
Salem-Kiezer Volcanoes (SFG)

Hi Rookie Ball (R+)

Appalachian League

East
Bluefield Blue Jays (TOR)
Danville Braves (ATL)
Pulaski Yankees (NYA)
Burlington Royals (KCA)
Princeton Giants (PRI)

West
Elizabethton Twins (MIN)
Johnson City Cardinals (STL)
Bristol Pirates (PIT)
Kingsport Mets (NYN)
Greeneville Astros (HOU)

Pioneer League

North
Great Falls Voyagers (CHA)
Idaho Falls Chukars (KCA)
Billings Mustangs (CIN)
Helena Brewers (MIL)
TBD Minnesota Twin Affiliate (MIN)

South
Orem Owlz (LAA)
Ogden Raptors (LAD)
Missoula Osprey (ARZ)
Grand Junction Rockies (COL)
Nanaimo Bars (SD)

Rookie League (Rk+)

Gulf Coast League

North Division
Tampa (NYA) Yankees
Dunedin (TOR) Blue Jays
Clearwater Phillies
Bradenton Pirates
Lakeland Tigers
Viera Nationals
Kissimmee Astros
Lake Buena Vista Braves

Southeast Division
Jupiter (MIA) Marlins
Boca Raton Pioneers (NJP)
Jupiter (STL) Cardinals
Port St. Lucie Mets
Fort Myers (MIN) Twins
Fort Myers (BOS) Red Sox
Port Charlotte Rays (TBA)
Sarasota Orioles

Arizona League

ARL East
Mesa Cubs (CHN)
Arizona (CHI) White Sox (CHA)
Goodyear Reds (CIN)
Arizona (MIL) Brewers (MIL)
Arizona (CLE) Indians (CLE)
Arizona (TEX) Rangers (TEX)
Arizona (ARI) Diamondbacks. (AZD)

ARL West
Arizona (LA) Dodgers (LAD)
Peoria (SD) Padres (SDN)
Tempe Angels (LAA)
Tempe Rat Pack (LVA)
Scottsdale Giants (SFG)
Phoenix Athletics (OAK)
Peoria (SEA) Mariners (SEA)

Foreign Rookie League (FRk)

Dominican Summer League

San Francisco (DSL) Giants
Minnesota (DSL) Twins
San Diego (DSL) Padres
Arizona (DSL) Diamondbacks
Baltimore (DSL) Orioles 1
Chicago A (DSL) White Sox
New York N 2 (DSL) Mets 2
Miami (DSL) Marlins
Los Angeles (DSL) Angels
Colorado (DSL) Rockies
Philadelphia (DSL) Phillies
Texas (DSL) Rangers
Oakland (DSL) Athletics
Boston (DSL) Red Sox
Los Angeles (DSL) Dodgers
Seattle (DSL) Mariners
Tampa Bay (DSL) Rays
Kansas City (DSL) Royals
Cleveland (DSL) Indians
New York A (DSL) Yankees 1
Cincinnati (DSL) Rojos
Pittsburgh 2 (DSL) Pirates 2
St. Louis (DSL) Cardinals
Washington (DSL) Nationals
Chicago N (DSL) Cubs
Houston 2 (DSL) Astros 2
Toronto (DSL) Blue Jays
Atlanta (DSL) Braves
Milwaukee (DSL) Brewers
Detroit (DSL) Tigers
New Jersey (DSL) Pioneers
Las Vegas (DSL) Rat Pack

Venezuelan Summer League

Chicago (VSL) Cubs
Philadelphia (VSL) Phillies
Detroit (VSL) Tigers
Seattle (VSL) Mariners
New Jersey (VSL) Pioneers
Las Vegas (VSL) Rat Pack
Colorado (VSL) Rockies
San Francisco (VSL) Giants
Minnesota (VSL) Twins
San Diego (VSL) Padres
Baltimore (VSL) Orioles 1
Chicago A (VSL) White Sox
Miami (VSL) Marlins
Los Angeles (VSL) Angels
Texas (VSL) Rangers
Boston (VSL) Red Sox
Los Angeles (VSL) Dodgers
Kansas City (VSL) Royals
Cleveland (VSL) Indians
Cincinnati (VSL) Rojos
Washington (VSL) Nationals
Chicago N (VSL) Cubs
Toronto (VSL) Blue Jays
Atlanta (VSL) Braves
Milwaukee (VSL) Brewers
Oakland (VSL) Athletics

That's basically it, other than adding minor league schedules. After this point its a normal league again with more teams.

The results: No one lost anything earth shattering in the expansion draft. Each team made two creative but not crazy trades. The most hotly contested issue during expansion was New Jersey trading for a Bryce Harper type player who'd already played one MLB season, and whether it was "realistic." Well, depends right? It was within the rules. And a player that young going from a bad Minnesota team to a fresh expansion team in the New York/ New Jersey market might see some outside the game financial benefits right? Also the Twins got a package that made them a winner. While NJ got the one player, and yes he was insanely good.

The two teams made a profit in their first season. With their budgets about to increase to more league standard. The computer generated ones were low in the first season. Las Vegas was constrained financially more than NJ, they took more chances on contracts that bled over. NJ took on salary in trades, but had only two contract retention bleed over, and was the most cost efficient team in the league.

Las Vegas finished 59-103 with a Pythagorean record of 67-95. A run differential of -155 and the 8th ranked farm in game. They created a hitter friendly park.

New Jersey finished 73-89 with a Pythagorean record of 84-78 and a run differential of +30. Their farm finished 25th, but it should be noted that their best prospects were regulars on the MLB rosters. That Bryce Harper type player they acquired did finish with a 7.3 WAR, 56 HRs, a .982 OPS, and 152 OPS+. The Twins that dealt him won 99 games with 4 players from the deal contributing 2 regular SPs on an all star track. New Jersey likely makes a wildcard run in season 2.

Take this as you will. Do I regret it? I don't know. We've folded, but the hack may have just been the straw that broke my back. I'd long been tired of recruiting and ending up with some GMs that were flat out insane. So even removing the expansion process, I likely burn out later anyway. The hack and the extremity of it, likely just accelerated it.

I think the process worked as far as the game, maintaining strong league financials (in fact they improved after), and giving the expansion teams a real fair shot not to be door mats or go the short term Colangelo route.

This and perhaps one more thing are my last contributions to the OOTP community as I walk away. I may check in and answer any reasonable questions as I can, but can't guarantee it. You guys have at debating it. At the very least I hope you found this interesting, and appreciate the work and effort that went into it.

-Eddie Paxil

OOTP since 2007
Commissioner of the OMLB
GM of the OMLB New Jersey Pioneers

Commissioner of the NBBU
GM of theNBBU Hoboken Knickerbockers
Follow the NBBU Dynasty Thread Here.

Last edited by Eddie Paxil; 09-28-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Eddie Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Dukesilver
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Paxil View Post
I should also say that the league died on the heels of this, not because the expansion process failed in game, but because while I was trying to recover from the insane stress it caused, my league file was hacked by a GM from another league, and replaced with one that was very detailed and contained not only insults to me, but homophobic rants about a member of my family who was still a teenager. I was done as commissioner and an OOTP player, and the league did not survive.
I feel like you glossed over this.... but how does this even happen? More importantly how did your OOTP file have insults in it? This seems so insane.
Dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
hunerman
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukesilver View Post
I feel like you glossed over this.... but how does this even happen? More importantly how did your OOTP file have insults in it? This seems so insane.

As a GM in the league I can answer that...

One day I downloaded the new file, and it opened and the only two managers listed to sign in as were named after our Comish and his relative, both having insanely dark and hurtful insults and slurs in them.

I had no idea how it happened at first, but when I heard about who did it and why, my heart sank. On that day, Eddie's love for the league and for the game died.

Eddie was easily the best comish I've ever had. I've been in this league since day 1(since 2013 I think). I was the first person to sign up, and have loved this league since day 1. I can clearly remember reading the League Constitution and reading in it that one day when the league was a few years in that Eddie would create an expansion team in New Jersey. I thought that was the coolest idea ever. I knew that Eddie would do everything in his power to run this league in order to fulfill his promise of an expansion. I was right. Eddie lead the league full steam ahead. Through the many seasons, there were many headcases, which led to Eddie having to make the tough decision. Whether I agreed with him or not on many decisions, Eddie always gave his rational and reason, made his call and left it at that. I always respected him on that.

I could ramble on about all the things that I admire that Eddie did, but I'll end it there. I think the OOTP community is really losing a good one. And Eddie, down the line, if you ever feel the itch to make a comeback, I will await that email and hope to be the first guy to sign up again.

I will miss you!
hunerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone hacked the commissioner account, created a new league file and used the upload settings to put the file on the league's server. When a GM used the in game tool to download the new league file their old league file was overwritten by the newly created league.

It sucked, it is a lot of time and energy to run a league. I have had leagues I was a GM in and commissioner in hacked or altered but not this badly.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #5
Eddie Paxil
Major Leagues

Quote:
Make sure only league members have your accounts gm file. He found a way through there is all I know.

Hunerman nailed everything. Although like me, perhaps he didn't look too deep into the file. I knew if I looked deeper I'd lose my mind. All I wanted to know, was whether there were any outright threats. Someone had to go through the file for me. There was a document imbedded with some more insane ranting, and the team, city, player, coach, owner, and manager names also had been changed to slurs and insults.

When you combine the insanity of the persons ranting in the league we were in together. (Which I exited as quickly as I could) The fact that there was a three week gap where I forgot about him. The effort to hack. Then the effort to create the file with all of that in it. That's a very disturbing amount of effort in my opinion.

I want to emphasize. That I understand these trolls don't represent the majority of the OOTP community, even now. But they are very loud. And here's the bigger issue. No one calls them on it. That either emboldens them or makes them think its ok. So the fact that I'm one of the few that won't tolerate it, I end up with a target on me.

I'm not removing myself because "I can't deal with it." I'm removing myself because I don't want to. That's bad for a commissioner. He has to be willing to take the good with the bad.I don't want to anymore.

OOTP since 2007
Commissioner of the OMLB
GM of the OMLB New Jersey Pioneers

Commissioner of the NBBU
GM of theNBBU Hoboken Knickerbockers
Follow the NBBU Dynasty Thread Here.

Last edited by Eddie Paxil; 09-28-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Eddie Paxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
Dukesilver
Bat Boy

I don't blame you at all, nobody should have to deal with that drama. I didn't even realize that my league file could be hacked, and if that ever happened to me i'd also probably be done with online OOTP for good. We ultimately run leagues to have fun, to simulate baseball, and our leagues really only exist as a means for other people to enjoy the fake baseball worlds that we create. That's sort of why I do all of this, to have fun, and if it ever stopped being enjoyable is when i'd step away.

I hope you can come back to online OOTP eventually but it really sucks you and your league had to do through all of this.
Dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Leaving the league's death aside, the expansion process itself was well thought-out.

But in hindsight, waiting five seasons from announcement before the league officially expanded was probably in error, and if I could do it again I'd probably do the whole thing in two seasons.

Last edited by bwburke94; 09-28-2018 at 08:35 PM.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote