Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Bamilus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Help with new historical playthrough

Hey everyone, OOTP 14 was my first OOTP game and I loved it. Just got OOTP 15 and I want to try historical mode but I would greatly appreciate any help when it comes to setting up my league. This is the type of playthrough I want:

1. I want the league environment (teams, logos, parks, park effects, league effects such as low home runs in dead ball era, minor league teams, rules, expansion, etc.) to be fully accurate from 1901 until whenever I stop playing the game (I want to play all the way through 2014, however).
2. Regarding the players, I want realistic players (such as their names and realistic introduction dates) but I want their stats and potential to be semi-random. For example, maybe Babe Ruth only ends up being a very good hitter and not an all-time great hitter. I don't want it to be completely outrageous but I don't want to replay history exactly as it happened, I'd like some slight variation (maybe Pete Rose has a career ending injury early in his career). Essentially I want the sandbox structure (the league as described above) to be fully realistic, but the players within the sandbox to have historically plausible outcomes, but not exactly as happened in history. But at the same time I don't want it be implausible; I want the stats to make sense for the era (no one hitting 60 homers in 1901) and I don't want it so random that complete scrub players are becoming all stars, which would be inaccurate in my opinion. I just want a decent amount of variability so that it keeps the game interesting and leads to a lot of "what ifs?", especially among player development.
3. I also don't want transactions to be fully historic, such as Babe Ruth being traded to the Yankees. Again, I just want them to be historically plausible; I'm also not sure how the game handles transactions and drafts throughout time (does the type of drafts and transaction rules change automatically according to how they did in real life?).

I'm willing to do as much editing as necessary to achieve these goals, such as having fully historic minor leagues from year to year, but am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any advice on what settings I should use when creating this league (such as injury factors and variability among stats?). Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations on mods or databases that would be able to serve me from 1901 onward in terms of logos, pictures, park effects, and players? My other question is regarding the minors: does anyone have advice on if I should use shadow players? I don't want completely fictional players in bigs, I want only players that played at least one game in the MLB to be available to be moved up from the minors to the MLB. But at the same time I want a realistic working minor league system.

Lastly, I know this is a new version of OOTP and it will take time for mods and databases to be updated but I've read a lot about spritze's db....does anyone know if this will be compatible with OOTP 15? And if so, would you recommend it for this type of play through?

Sorry, this is a lot of questions but I'd really appreciate the help as I'd hate to figure out ten years through my play-through that my settings are messed up.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bamilus; 04-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Bamilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamilus View Post
Hey everyone, OOTP 14 was my first OOTP game and I loved it. Just got OOTP 15 and I want to try historical mode but I would greatly appreciate any help when it comes to setting up my league. This is the type of playthrough I want:

1. I want the league environment (teams, logos, parks, park effects, league effects such as low home runs in dead ball era, minor league teams, rules, expansion, etc.) to be fully accurate from 1901 until whenever I stop playing the game (I want to play all the way through 2014, however).
2. Regarding the players, I want realistic players (such as their names and realistic introduction dates) but I want their stats and potential to be semi-random. For example, maybe Babe Ruth only ends up being a very good hitter and not an all-time great hitter. I don't want it to be completely outrageous but I don't want to replay history exactly as it happened, I'd like some slight variation (maybe Pete Rose has a career ending injury early in his career). Essentially I want the sandbox structure (the league as described above) to be fully realistic, but the players within the sandbox to have historically plausible outcomes, but not exactly as happened in history. But at the same time I don't want it be implausible; I want the stats to make sense for the era (no one hitting 60 homers in 1901) and I don't want it so random that complete scrub players are becoming all stars, which would be inaccurate in my opinion. I just want a decent amount of variability so that it keeps the game interesting and leads to a lot of "what ifs?", especially among player development.
3. I also don't want transactions to be fully historic, such as Babe Ruth being traded to the Yankees. Again, I just want them to be historically plausible; I'm also not sure how the game handles transactions and drafts throughout time (does the type of drafts and transaction rules change automatically according to how they did in real life?).

I'm willing to do as much editing as necessary to achieve these goals, such as having fully historic minor leagues from year to year, but am not sure where to start. Does anyone have any advice on what settings I should use when creating this league (such as injury factors and variability among stats?). Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations on mods or databases that would be able to serve me from 1901 onward in terms of logos, pictures, park effects, and players? My other question is regarding the minors: does anyone have advice on if I should use shadow players? I don't want completely fictional players in bigs, I want only players that played at least one game in the MLB to be available to be moved up from the minors to the MLB. But at the same time I want a realistic working minor league system.

Lastly, I know this is a new version of OOTP and it will take time for mods and databases to be updated but I've read a lot about spritze's db....does anyone know if this will be compatible with OOTP 15? And if so, would you recommend it for this type of play through?

Sorry, this is a lot of questions but I'd really appreciate the help as I'd hate to figure out ten years through my play-through that my settings are messed up.

Thank you!
To get the accurate uniforms download both no Pepper's/Ashante Warriors 1901-1969 uniform set along with Reds 1 1969-2014 set then combine them. Put the files from Pep's set into Reds1 overwriting any of them. I suggest doing this in a new folder. For logos either download Gambo's set from ootpmods.com or justafans set from his thread. Some of these might be in add ons central located in game, they should only work for a new game so create a dummy league 1st.
Gambo has a great set of early parks on ootpmods.com but i prefer this set.
All 115 MLB Ball Parks - New Layout

There are options to select upon league creation that you can change as needed to make sure you have the dead ball era and such. Babe Ruth has never had more then 650 HR in the 3 historical leagues I have played.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-uniforms.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...y-project.html

Players that you love can and will get CEI's. Lou Gerhig played 3 seasons in one league before suffering a CEI. I recommend using one yr calculation vs 3 yr for ratings.

I will post screenshots if you want after i load 15.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 04-18-2014 at 12:41 PM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

I want to do roughly the same. I want to start off with the NA in 1871 and take it from there. But I lack the knowledge on moving the cities and deleting them too.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
I want to do roughly the same. I want to start off with the NA in 1871 and take it from there. But I lack the knowledge on moving the cities and deleting them too.
Did you post in my other thread? here is a 1871 league that I had. After each season, preferably in January go to the team's setup that you want to move and just rename them. For teams you want to get rid of go to league setup - Edit League Structure and delete the teams then generate new schedule or use a real schedule for that year.
Free File Sharing and Storage made Simple.

This is for 14 not 15. I will update for 15 soon.

"Stay Strong"

Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Did you post in my other thread? here is a 1871 league that I had. After each season, preferably in January go to the team's setup that you want to move and just rename them. For teams you want to get rid of go to league setup - Edit League Structure and delete the teams then generate new schedule or use a real schedule for that year.
Free File Sharing and Storage made Simple.

This is for 14 not 15. I will update for 15 soon.
I saw that, Thanks. I am unclear on how to evolve the NA to NL and add like the PCL and the other leagues.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1964 View Post
I saw that, Thanks. I am unclear on how to evolve the NA to NL and add like the PCL and the other leagues.
What I had planned on doing when i get to 1876 was to create the NL and disband the NA. The NA history should still show up. Same with AA, PCL, NAL, MLB, FL & ***

"Stay Strong"

Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Full Minor League Teams is a must but like Gambo and so on have don it yet.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
spritze's db....does anyone know if this will be compatible with OOTP 15?
Thank you!
Spritze knows and YES it is.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Bamilus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks everybody for the quick and helpful responses; just installed the game and can't wait to dive in
Bamilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
rogmax11
All Star Starter

Hello spritze, any chance your dbs can/will be accessible via AOC? Either that, or can you give a
nearly completely ignorant computer skills guy a step-by-step on how to access your wonderful additions to this great game?
rogmax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #11
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding the players, I want realistic players (such as their names and realistic introduction dates) but I want their stats and potential to be semi-random. For example, maybe Babe Ruth only ends up being a very good hitter and not an all-time great hitter. I don't want it to be completely outrageous but I don't want to replay history exactly as it happened, I'd like some slight variation (maybe Pete Rose has a career ending injury early in his career). Essentially I want the sandbox structure (the league as described above) to be fully realistic, but the players within the sandbox to have historically plausible outcomes, but not exactly as happened in history. But at the same time I don't want it be implausible; I want the stats to make sense for the era (no one hitting 60 homers in 1901) and I don't want it so random that complete scrub players are becoming all stars, which would be inaccurate in my opinion. I just want a decent amount of variability so that it keeps the game interesting and leads to a lot of "what ifs?", especially among player development.
I would suggest running some test leagues and experimenting with Talent Change Randomness under Player and Picture Options. The manual states that "... Talent Change Randomness option is a numeric value from 1 to 200 that controls how random player talent changes are. For example, a 200 here would mean that talent changes are highly random, making it more likely that players would experience significant changes in talent over the course of their career. Tweak this if necessary if you feel that player talent changes are either too drastic or too conservative. 100 is the default." If you were to set it at 1, there would be very little change. And if you were to set it at 200, you'd probably see - among other things - a lot of real-life scrubs turn into beasts in your game, and plenty of real-life stars would flame out... So maybe leave it on the default (100) and then let the game run, with no input from you, from 1901 through at least the 1930's and then prowl around. If the changes are too drastic or not drastic enough, tweak the value and run another test.

(Please note that I am stating this from the perspective of OOTP14, however, I doubt much has changed in this area.)

Quote:
I also don't want transactions to be fully historic, such as Babe Ruth being traded to the Yankees. Again, I just want them to be historically plausible; I'm also not sure how the game handles transactions and drafts throughout time (does the type of drafts and transaction rules change automatically according to how they did in real life?).
"Historically plausible" is a fairly subjective phrase. However, if you don't allow historical transactions (under League Setup - Historical) and do allow trading (League Setup - Rules), you'll probably get what most would consider "historically plausible." Perhaps this is obvious, perhaps not, but in a generic sense (not taking into account individual team needs and whatever trade offers the game comes up with) and with these settings Babe Ruth would be just as likely to be traded from the BoSox to the Yankees as he would any other team. Or not traded at all.

Good luck!
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

Quote:

Thank you!
In historical play the game already does what you want under you number #1.

The game uses the Latham database so it has all of the historical major league players. Spritze's db should work with ootp15 (I haven't tried it yet though). Spritze's db has historical players from the Negro Leagues and Japan, but not every single one of them yet. His db also has many historical minor leaguers, I believe. The ootp database just has those players that made it to the majors and they import the same year they make it, whereas Spritze's players import at age 18.

You want to keep player development on and then you can adjust the percentages to how much you want it to deviate from what the player actually was historically.

Historical transactions can be turned on or off.

Basically everything you want to do you can do. You're just going to have to fool around with it and see what you like best.

Last edited by Elysian Fields; 04-19-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #13
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogmax11 View Post
Hello spritze, any chance your dbs can/will be accessible via AOC? Either that, or can you give a
nearly completely ignorant computer skills guy a step-by-step on how to access your wonderful additions to this great game?
I don't know what AOC is. Send me a private message (PM) and I'll let you know where to get it.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
rogmax11
All Star Starter

AOC = Add On Central in acronymian speak. Thanks for the reply! I will PM ( there it is again, LOL--stop it, self! ) soon and be greatfully gratitudinous.
rogmax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

THE GAME

always finds the best add ons, love those parks

But

I would NOT recommend using Recal, as that will lessen the chance of good players falling on their face and having very good palyers become legends and bums becoming serviceable major leaguers and once in a generation becoming Greatness. Do you know who red Durrent is? No one does really, he got a cup of coffee with the Dodgers in the 30's but in my last replay, development was kind to him, and he won 2 triples crowns, 5 gold gloves and he and Kiner become the HR duo that Ruth and Gehrig were.

I use neutralized stats, I base off their PEAK Season and everything is based on career with recal OFF, my aging is lowered to .982, development is slower for P than hitters and my randomness is 90

Send me a PM (and this goes for everyone) and I will send you my World template starting in 1901...I do have the independent leagues affiliated at a AAA,AA and A level, but every PCL player, my one TRUE independent league is on their appropriate team, I redid every single player in the league from 1871 to 1901 with true to life bunting,stealing, potential and personality.

I am finishing up fixing some areas with OOTP15's interface, but when you load my world template, players, logos etc should be there

I use Gambos/Spritze;s fixed OOTP 14 DB, so Mordecai Brown is in A for the Cardinals
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #16
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Do you mean this guy?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #17
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

That's him

He helped win 3 WS for the Cards, then was traded to the Pirates and he and Kiner were a great Duo for the Pirates winning 2 WS, by the time his career ended in 1958, he was top 5 in runs,HR,doubles,RBI and was the best LF in games played and defense

OOTP Development is a great thing sometimes with this game
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Mokk Rodder
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
Send me a PM (and this goes for everyone) and I will send you my World template starting in 1901...I do have the independent leagues affiliated at a AAA,AA and A level, but every PCL player, my one TRUE independent league is on their appropriate team, I redid every single player in the league from 1871 to 1901 with true to life bunting,stealing, potential and personality.
I tried to PM you, but was unable. How can I get a copy of your world template?

Thanks,

OMLB
GM - Oakland Athletics
2014 - 2017

2016 - American League Championship
2017 - World Series Championship

Mokk Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote