Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

I'd also like to see the term "never" in the lineup dropdowns be changed to "emergency". Never doesn't mean that the guy never starts no matter what. He does start in an emergency if the guys listed before him can't. Heck, that's why he's listed there. Plus, it makes a good parallel with the term "emergency starter" that's used for pitchers.

Trivial? Yes, but it seems like an easy change to prevent potential misunderstanding.

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Two more good ideas.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #23
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

To build on #13, if the game has comparable players, why can't we get an individual season projection somewhere on one of the player profile screens? It only has to generate once a year (at the end of ST, say), and it's the sort of tool real-life GMs have. Heck, you can use MARCEL for it and it would be good enough.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #24
Walpeezy
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
3. On the rosters and Transactions screen, I'd like to be able to toggle between actual and potential. I play with a potentials on 1-5 scale and no actuals and there's a whole lotta blanks shown. I could also see this being useful to those who want to give preferential moves to certain prospects.
love this one!
Walpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #25
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

How about a "Needs" option (for trading purposes)? This way other teams (AI) will know what I am looking for. I know the owner gives his opinion of what he feels the team needs are, but I would like to be able to have a say.

It's really annoying when you get the same player (or same position) offerred to you 20 times in a week. I would like to say "not interested in that player", or "not interested in a player at that position". Especially when I am offerred a player over and over again, and at a position where I have a 5 star player already under contract.
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'd also like to see the term "never" in the lineup dropdowns be changed to "emergency". Never doesn't mean that the guy never starts no matter what. He does start in an emergency if the guys listed before him can't. Heck, that's why he's listed there. Plus, it makes a good parallel with the term "emergency starter" that's used for pitchers.

Trivial? Yes, but it seems like an easy change to prevent potential misunderstanding.
Except my experience is that he doesn't, unless you're simming in which case the AI is running your lineup and all bets are off anyway (unless you are saying you'd like this functionality to change, in which case I agree). If the substitute is set to "never," and the person ahead of him on the depth chart is listed as "out" due to injury or whatever, when you go to start a game that slot in the lineup will be blank.

I actually kind of like it that way sometimes, because it's a prompt that forces me to make a decision (usually calling someone up from the minors, since I apparently didn't think I had a suitable backup for the position) instead of blindly clicking on to start the game.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 05-01-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #27
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
Except my experience is that he doesn't, unless you're simming in which case the AI is running your lineup and all bets are off anyway (unless you are saying you'd like this functionality to change, in which case I agree). If the substitute is set to "never," and the person ahead of him on the depth chart is listed as "out" due to injury or whatever, when you go to start a game that slot in the lineup will be blank.

I actually kind of like it that way sometimes, because it's a prompt that forces me to make a decision (usually calling someone up from the minors, since I apparently didn't think I had a suitable backup for the position) instead of blindly clicking on to start the game.
I'm not suggesting a change to that behavior (when playing out a game, the player's slot will be blank). I think the intention of "never" is if you're simming a week and the starter and his "if tired' guy can't play, then the "never" guy starts.

If we're confused on what "never" means, it's probably a good idea to clarify by changing the term.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #28
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
11. I'd like to see a trading difficulty setting between Normal and Hard ("Challenging"?). Normal seems too easy to me and Hard seems too hard.
With my trading difficulty set to hard, I shop Stephen Drew (age 31, 58/46 overall). No offers whatsoever. When I switch the difficulty to normal, I've got 145 players offered including a 25 year-old 35/64 (Will Middlebrooks) and a 27 year-old 51/48 (Dean Anna). I can't help but think that the true trading value of Drew is somewhere between these two.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #29
moore4807
All Star Starter

Quote:
With my trading difficulty set to hard, I shop Stephen Drew (age 31, 58/46 overall). No offers whatsoever. When I switch the difficulty to normal, I've got 145 players offered including a 25 year-old 35/64 (Will Middlebrooks) and a 27 year-old 51/48 (Dean Anna). I can't help but think that the true trading value of Drew is somewhere between these two.
I agree with your point and have a improbable idea... Instead of league wide Hard or Easy trade ratings, why can't there be algorythms used for managers and teams that represent team trading habits? Rebuilding should equal trading of some kind? Choosing Win Now means your looking to immediately upgrade your weakest position? So if the Cardinals were to hire a trade happy GM (which they probably would never do) then their well stocked farm system would take a hit? Or Miami, who is in constant turnover got a GM who builds through the draft?

That to me is more important - my scouts would rank players by offense 0 to 5/defense 0 to 5/teammate 0 to 5. If I was searching for a defensive utility infielder to upgrade my ballclub, then using the minors scouts and major scouts reports would have a greater impact in a nice tight format I could then look at the top 5 individuals without screening pages of reports as I micromanage through now.

The teams needs should be dynamic but matched up to the position ratings they don't seem to be. The position ratings ranks the Philies as #11 at 3B on Depth, and two of the teams trying to unload their 3B overpriced veterans on me are rated in the #20's??? As Philadelphia Phillies I have 2 good 3B prospects in the minors and a good prospect on the bench (Cody Asche), yet nearly every trade offer includes overpriced 3B dumpoffs that NOBODY would touch if I was trying to unload them!

One cosmetic change I would like to see in OOTP15 - Being an oldtime player I still HAVE to configure the game controls to be on the bottom, I'm lost with the right side controls...
This version's button spacing seems too compressed from the left to right on the control bar and the symbols are uninspiring, is this something fixable or just learn to deal with it. laugh:
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
And you would be right.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #31
playitliketebow
Bat Boy

My suggestions

My Ideas (I really like to just customize my league to fullest and simulate out the history)

1. Awards
You can have more than 1 custom award maybe 2 or 3 (the more the better) anyways the main piece I wanted to point out for this was you can choose to have the PC auto pick it for you so say you want a award called "Closer of The Year Award" you can set it to the pc automatically picks the guy with the most saves to win the award this could work for many more things like just some ideas "Pete Rose Award" (Most Hits in the season), "Triple Crown Award" (Averages out RBIs,HRs, and AVG. into a %), or "Steal King" (Most Stolen Bases) the ideas go on and on but thats the gist of that idea

2. Hall Of Fame
I want more auto introduction options in the game currently its HRs, Hits, Hits W/ Avg>,Wins,Saves,Wins W/ ERA> but I want more options like auto introduction by Strike Outs so if you have a player like Nolan Ryan (I know he had like 325 wins but it was over 27 years remember) and he was never on any great teams to have records like 23-4 or not consistently at least so if I have a player with a career record of 170-130 but he has 4k Strike outs I want him to be automatically inducted.

3. Regions
I know you can already do this by editing the file called default_world.xml i think? Something like that and I have done it but it is time consuming I want you to be able to put regions together in the game automatically eg. say I live in connecticut and I want to do one in that area I could choose some with that state in it but say I want the states Connecticut,New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts I want to be able to individually select those states and make my own regions!

4. More League Rule Editing
I know this might not appeal to some people but for me this is something I would LOVE doing in the game. I want you to be able to edit the amount of innings in a game so I could have a league with 7 innings or one with 12 (have a range from like 3-20 inning option), and some other minor things I would like is editing the amount of strikes balls, and outs the league has, aluminium bats option!! and another one i think would be cool is editing the pitching mound length which would affect stats obviously!
playitliketebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #32
dunningrb
Minors (Double A)

I think it would be pretty cool to see siblings and father-son combinations among the fictional players.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #33
mdtwnkfey
Major Leagues

One thing I've always wanted to see in OOTP is the Arizona Fall League. Would be a neat feature and would complete the minor league system, now that we have the Dominican and Venezuelan leagues.

Also a big sticking point I have every year with OOTP is AI trading. If the difficulty is set harder and frequency is set lower, then there's an unrealistically low amount of trades early in the season.

No matter what I set the AI trading prefs to, there is always the same type of unrealistic trade made: a player who was signed in the offseason prior to the game's release is traded very soon into his tenure or contract with the new team. For example, I'm in early May 2014 in my MLB sim and in the past few days, A.J. Burnett and Logan Morrison were each traded.
mdtwnkfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #34
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

14. How about a "go to..." search box for league and game settings? Say I can't find the where in all the settings trade frequency is. I type "trade frequency" in the box and it jumps to or highlights the appropriate setting.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #35
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
14. How about a "go to..." search box for league and game settings? Say I can't find the where in all the settings trade frequency is. I type "trade frequency" in the box and it jumps to or highlights the appropriate setting.
I like that idea.
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #36
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by playitliketebow View Post
4. More League Rule Editing
I know this might not appeal to some people but for me this is something I would LOVE doing in the game. I want you to be able to edit the amount of innings in a game so I could have a league with 7 innings or one with 12 (have a range from like 3-20 inning option), and some other minor things I would like is editing the amount of strikes balls, and outs the league has, aluminium bats option!! and another one i think would be cool is editing the pitching mound length which would affect stats obviously!
At the very least the options available should reflect the rules used by the real-life leagues included in the game. That means, for example, being able to set doubleheaders as two 7-inning games, or letting a game end as a tie if the score is still tied after 12 innings.

I still want to see more transaction rules. To me, the heart of the game is being a GM, and the transaction rules very much affect how a GM does the job. Free agency, for example, operated rather differently in 1980 than it does now. Or waiver restrictions on interleague trade. And so on.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote