Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Recommendations for Advertising Leagues

You're free to advertise your leagues how you want (well, within the normal posting rules at least), but I'd like to make some recommendations that I think will help you get people to join your league.

Have some other recommendations? Share them and I'll add them to the list!
  • List Information. As with getting someone to do anything, you want to make it as easy for them as possible. What I think really helps is including all the information that they are likely going to want about your league in your post. I'd recommend doing that in a clearly labeled list (see example below) as opposed to in paragraph form because it's just so much easier to quickly scan. It is possible to include too much information, but you don't want to make them hunt too hard for information either. Use your own judgement as to how much is too much, but, personally, I'd err more on the more side.

Code:
    [b]Full League Name (Initials):[/b]
    [b]Main URL:[/b]
    [b]Reports URL:[/b]
    [b]Boards URL:[/b]
    [b]Commissioner(s) OOTP Forum Username(s):[/b]
    [b]Email Address:[/b]
    [b]OOTP Version:[/b] (9, '07/8, '06, 6.x, 5) 
    [b]Game Needed:[/b] (No, Preferred, Required)
    [b]Players:[/b] (Fictional, Historical, Modern (real current / fictional futuristic), Mixed (other))
    [b]# of Teams:[/b]
    [b]Export Deadlines Days And Times:[/b]
    [b]League Time Per Sim:[/b]
    [b]First Season:[/b]
    [b]Latest Season:[/b]
    [b]Special Rules & Settings:[/b]
    [b]Currently Available Teams:[/b]
  • Bolding Note: Since they attract one's eye better IMO, the bolding tags above are meant to enclose the labels only, not what comes after the colons as well. Do it however you like, but I'd put the details after the bolding tags, not inside.
  • Rule Differentiation. Make sure you include stuff that differentiates your league from all the others. Is your league just another modern rosters league? Surely you must do something that is a bit different from all the rest. Look at your rules, something probably stands out, include it.
  • Open Teams. Include a section about the open teams and update it. People might not be too picky about the team they get if they otherwise really like your league, but maybe they are picky or maybe they'll fall in love with one which will encourage them to respond. Links would be great. Talk about their past record and future outlook, their best players, their prospects. Think about what would attract someone to that team.
  • Descriptive Title. "league has openings" will probably not attract as much attention as "1920s HBL has Openings" or "Modern Rosters MBL Looking for 2". At least include a league identifier like its full name or initials.
  • Error Check. Before you submit your post, check for errors! Do your links work? Are you sure your email address is correct? Did you include everything you should?
  • Post Anything. Periodically post about your league even when you don't have openings. Had something cool happen in your league and feel like sharing? Post it. People might not be interested in your league now, but the more they read about it the more likely you'll get them sooner or later. Try to limit your league to one thread a season though so it doesn't seem like you're spamming the board, but within that thread go nuts! The more active you look, the more active the league will look!
  • Make Searchable. Add your league to the IOLD (link in my sig) and update it occassionally. People do search it. Maybe your type of league is one they will be searching for next. You might want to even advertise your IOLD profile. To do it yourself I recommend searching for your league's profile in the IOLD then using the "full profile" link.
  • Usable Website. Have a nice clean website with all the information they could possibly want easy to find. It doesn't need to use any fancy effects, simple is fine enough for most folks. Just make it easy for people to find what they want.
  • Member Testimonials. Encourage league members to post their thoughts about the league in ad threads you start. People like to read that other people are happy with their time investment. It also helps bump up your thread.
  • Cool Avatar. Give yourself a nice appealing avatar. It helps your posts stand out and it gives people a view into what you're about. Personally, I'd stay away from babes in bikinis as I think that shows immaturity, but, hey, maybe that's the type of people you're looking to attract.
  • Sig Advertise.Advertise your league in your signature. Even just a link to it should be helpful, but a brief description is probably even better like I've done in mine. I even saw Corsairs advertise his league's IOLD profile in his sig (see Make Searchable above for how). Smart considering it quickly lists all your league's info.
  • Eye-catching Graphics. Include some graphics in your post. Even just links with their different colours helps break up the monotony of a post, but one of my favourite ads of all-time was HH's introductory where they included small pics of the 3 commissioners along with some other stuff. I thought that was simply brilliant. I didn't care for the audio from the video they had, but the graphics sure helped grab my attention. Even just a small league logo would probably do wonders.
  • Try Formatting. Include some headings, make a list, bold some words, italicize some words. Yeah, you can do this badly, but doing it well can really help.
  • Back Pat. Give yourself some cred. If you've founded or commished other successful leagues, let people know. If you've been a part of the community or other leagues for years, let people know. A good commish reputation can really help recruitment.
  • Be Happy. Who wants to join a league that sounds full of grouches? People play the game and join leagues to have fun so show them that that's what you're all about!
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Excellent advice!

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote