Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

When to call it a day?

I know. I know. I'm just full of questions today.

So, in my Marlins challenge game, my owner set a goal to be a dynasty by 2034. Well great! That happens to be the final year of Sixto Sanchez's contract (which he unfortunately not make it to), and I extended all my coaches (at double their value) until 2034. Fast forward a few years, and we've won 6 world series in 10 years, including 2034. We've not had a chance to rebuild, although through most of the process, our farm system had stayed in the top 5; but now it's ranked 16th. I have three free agents: A reliever, commanding $12,500,000 a year, my 28 year old, perennial all star 2b, one year removed from a triple crown, commanding 10 yr/$425 million, and my 32 year old, perennial gold glove shortstop with power, coming off a .243/.353/.590 season, commanding 8 yr/$350 million. My payroll has been #2 or #3 every year during this dynasty.

The issue I feel, is that I'd really like to start again, I've built my dynasty. I just feel that at this point, it's going to be really difficult to maintain. My owner is pushing me to re-sign the aging shortstop (rather than the prime 2b).

I'm debating whether I should just quit, join another team, or proceed with the rebuild as planned.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

take a year off, wait til the end of that season and take over the team in the worse situation in the league. Rebuild them into greatness, adding to your reputation as an all-time great.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Palaaemon
Minors (Triple A)

Prove your greatness by continuing with your current team, rebuild them (responsibly) to top form and win one last championship and then resign your post and either ride off into the sunset into another save OR take over the absolute worst team (not necessarily just the team with the worst record).

You could just start over or take over another team right away or like Sabr said take a year off and then take over another team if you wish, up to you. There are other options you could choose as well but it sounds like these are what you are considering.

Good Luck!
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I say quit. You have milked this save for all it is worth. Keep it on your hard drive and load it up once in a while to remember the good times. You need a new challenge.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

why don't you see how long you can keep your dynasty going ??? and stick to your game plan and see if your plan works or not
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Fiscal responsibility... it's boring.

I like to see how high of a win total i can maintain in perpetuity. I get a fairly good baseline, then i start trying new things or adjusting how much cushion i use in budget and how soon to unload expensive players in their prime, etc.

Rate of loss vs. rate of procurement. Spread one out to reduce stress of replacement and heavy 1-year turnovers, and maximize the latter. I haven't played a ton of XX, but i can see i need to learn a few more points to squeeze to maintain previous release years' success.

unless you are constantly and systematically adjusting how you get talent, you can definitely squeeze more out of this game. (or any other major aspect, for that matter). Sometimes you have to be forced to learn new things, like the re-vamp of trading logic.

For me the boring part is building. done it since i was 6-8 years old on a nintendo with graphing paper for hand-written tables, lol. No mas! 100's of teams, built from the scrap heap, because detroit sports teams, the majority of what i use, are typically a generation behind the times. It's the midwest and we don't like change here, i guess. The red wings would be an exclusion for 23-24ish years, but even they were bullheaded and short-sighted at the end of their playoff streak. We lost a great coach over such mismanagement and other poor decisions. (1+streak, due to lost strike season)

There's a reason why the tiger's analytical department is a decade behind every oher team in the MLB. there's a reason why the tiger's development program has been absolutely horrible at their job for decades. Pitchers come up thinking they can just throw fastballs, because no one ever told them, "no, you idiot." Because, this generation and the last few can't hand'e criticism nor except teaching unless forced and a parrallel culture to reinforce it constantly through peer pressure.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote