Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
battists
Hall Of Famer

Smile Omg!

So, despite how long I've been around, I'm not really what one would consider a particularly hard-core OOTPer. I have one fictional league that I spent forever creating and very little time actually playing. Every year when OOTP comes out I go through a brief time where I dedicate some attention to it, but it always eventually fades and I go months without playing.

If you recall from any of my prior posts, I kinda suck at OOTP, haha. Right now I'm playing my way up managing in the minors. My fictional league has five levels of minors, and the plan was to manage one season at each level of the minors before moving on to the big club, and then eventually to the GM role.

Last year I managed the Titusville Barracudas (R) to the stunning record of 46-60, before getting an end of season promotion (why? haha) to manage the last 35 games of the Modesto Bullfrogs' (low A) season (15-19). I played about halfway through the next season with the Bullfrogs before my interest faded last year. I picked it up again a week or so ago, and an astonishing thing has happened...

At 41-41, I am at .500!!!!! This may be the first time I have been at or over .500 this late in a season that I can remember, haha!

Of course, it's a 136-game season, so plenty of time left to screw things up. We have the worst starting ERA in the 6-team league. We are the worst in defensive efficiency. We're near the bottom in all offensive categories. But we steal bases like crazy, and our bullpen has been top notch.

We've been helped by a few things lately:
  • The GM sent 2B Ricardo Guevara down from the Texas league, and he promptly went 4-for-10 with 2 HR and 7 RBI in his first three games.
  • We got 3B Cristo Ramos back from injury and he promptly hit a game-winning RBI.
  • In the last three weeks we played six games against the Fremont Foresters, and swept all six, outscoring Fremont 31-12.

Finally, I have a player in Spike Corbett who leads the league in batter WAR and has an outside shot at MVP:

(Yeah, the bar isn't particularly high for offense in this league.)

I have a chance to keep things going, too, as I have a three-game set against the 31-51 Emerald Bay Tritons coming up, followed by three against the Stockton Swallows, who are a game and a half behind us.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of you out there used to winning championships and so on. I play at such a slow pace, I rarely get around to that. But these are the little things about the game I enjoy!

Go Frogs!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

Great that you're having so much fun with this.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

I love reports like this! Makes me feel better, especially after reading the "Worst to First" dynasty reports where the guy always takes over the worst team in the league and has them winning championships in three or four years almost every time. Nice to see someone else struggling a little more!
gglennwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
Assos
All Star Starter

Must be a bug, please post in the Bug Forum. B is never ever above .500!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assos View Post
Must be a bug, please post in the Bug Forum. B is never ever above .500!

Technically speaking, I'm still not ABOVE .500...

Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglennwill View Post
I love reports like this! Makes me feel better, especially after reading the "Worst to First" dynasty reports where the guy always takes over the worst team in the league and has them winning championships in three or four years almost every time. Nice to see someone else struggling a little more!

It feels so much worse because I wrote the manual ha ha. You'd think I would be able to play a little bit!!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Technically speaking, I'm still not ABOVE .500...

So, I won my next game to make it to 42-41! But the OOTP gods heard Assos, and despite playing against the 31-51 Tritons, they took the next two. So I'm back where I belong, under .500.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #8
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

you should post that league as a quickstart - would love to fiddle around with it.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
you should post that league as a quickstart - would love to fiddle around with it.

Will consider! I'm in Japan right now, so maybe when I get home...
Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 AM   #10
discodude5
Major Leagues

battists, you're like the guy who played 13 years in the minors and finally gets a shot in the majors. Maybe not an allstar (at this game) but put in some hard work for sure.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodude5 View Post
battists, you're like the guy who played 13 years in the minors and finally gets a shot in the majors. Maybe not an allstar (at this game) but put in some hard work for sure.

Haha that's definitely me. I just keep plugging along! My goal this year is "don't suck completely," so I think I have a shot, at 43-43 now!
Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
battists
Hall Of Famer

So, when Modesto wins, it's low-scoring affairs. My offense is pretty putrid. I think our team BA is .225 or so. If I can get through 6 and be within a run or so, I'm in good shape, because my pen is solid.

So in my last game against the Stockton Swallows, I was pretty sure I was in a good spot when I put up four in the first two innings. In fact, I was feeling even better when I cruised through 5 with a shutout. Unfortunately, in the sixth the wheels came off, and they tied the game.

Then when they got three straight runners on base to start the 8th I knew I was in trouble. Went out with a whimper, 6-4. Man, it's TOUGH to be above .500!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
Assos
All Star Starter

I have taken a que from you B, I am running a Major league from the start and I had it create players from 16 to 23, so it is a ripe and young league. Second season in and I am barely made it under 100 loses. First season was 104 losses in a 162 season.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assos View Post
I have taken a que from you B, I am running a Major league from the start and I had it create players from 16 to 23, so it is a ripe and young league. Second season in and I am barely made it under 100 loses. First season was 104 losses in a 162 season.

Nowhere to go but up!

I am actually about to post a QuickStart of my league.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
Assos
All Star Starter

Awesome! Thanks for keeping OOTP great, my friend! LOL Been playing too much Stellaris!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
battists
Hall Of Famer

Hey guys, if you're interested in trying out my league, I uploaded a quickstart here.

I'm not sure if it worked; I've never done that before, so give it a try and let me know. I didn't upload the almanacs, I don't have all year.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
oriolesmeep
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Hey guys, if you're interested in trying out my league, I uploaded a quickstart here.

I'm not sure if it worked; I've never done that before, so give it a try and let me know. I didn't upload the almanacs, I don't have all year.
I'll be trying it out the same way you are (with ratings relative to league as the only change probably.) I suck at managing in this game too!
oriolesmeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #18
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmeep View Post
I'll be trying it out the same way you are (with ratings relative to league as the only change probably.) I suck at managing in this game too!

Enjoy! Let me know if you see anything weird in the QuickStart.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Enjoy! Let me know if you see anything weird in the QuickStart.
Yeah, your team started winning! :P

Just kidding!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #20
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I second that! Would for sure play it
catcherjul is offline   Reply With Quote