Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

Do personality traits change?

I found a post years ago that said they do not...but recently had a player who I swear was Low in INT and WE.

His INT and WE are now normal.

Am I remembering wrong or is this now a possibility?
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I may be the one remembering wrong, too, but my recollection is that they have been static from the beginning. However, a fair amount of discussion took place this year in an effort to allow minor influences to affect change of a marginal nature, but doing so rarely and under only optimal conditions. So....I'd have to say yes, they can change. I do think it remains unlikely, but I'm of the opinion this was implemented.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

i've never noticed it change

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
injury log
Hall Of Famer

They definitely change, rarely dramatically though. They didn't change in OOTP15 or earlier.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
They definitely change, rarely dramatically though. They didn't change in OOTP15 or earlier.
that's interesting. any reason why. Perhaps a rookie learns some work ethic from a HOF vet?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

It's probably completely random.
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:33 AM   #7
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
that's interesting. any reason why. Perhaps a rookie learns some work ethic from a HOF vet?
I'm not the person to ask, I didn't support the change and never understood the rationale.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

I would be curious to know what's involved in a player changing personality traits...are they influenced by other players with certain traits? Is it just random because people change?
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodoMojo View Post
I would be curious to know what's involved in a player changing personality traits...are they influenced by other players with certain traits? Is it just random because people change?
I am convinced people don't change

Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #10
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

They change, I've seen it. I would guess it's because of this:

Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I am convinced people don't change
You're serious, aren't you? I guess certain people are just born leaders or born greedy or born lazy then.

I totally think people change, usually not fast and usually not by much, but I'm sure they do. I always thought it was silly that what an 18 year old was drafted at would be what he would be personality-wise all the way to 36.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Despite being pretty rigid, I know I've changed. It just happens. Age, wisdom, experiences, environment and adaptability all play a role. It has been said the definition of insanity is to continue doing the same things over and over again, while expecting a different result. If that's not a recepie for change, I don't know what it!
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

In other words, I believe past successes and failures often go into the willingness for change, sometimes not though...it depends on the individual.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #14
discodude5
Major Leagues

I'd like to see a few of these happen.
A younger guy might have high greed and low desire for win but 10 years in with no championships he's now normal greed and high desire for win.
A player with low leadership but has won a couple championships knowing what it takes to win now has high leadership.
Not every player, but a few like this where their time in the game changes how they approach it like real life.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 AM   #15
Matt Uk
Major Leagues

Of course people can change, particularly things like work ethic and loyalty in a team situation. We are all influenced by other people to some extent in that situation. Likewise if there's a team of slackers and one guy with high work ethic he'd likely slip into their way of thinking over time, thinking why am I working my butt off while nobody else is. Sure not all would change but a fair percentage would I think.

Being at a team a while or being in a successful or enjoyable situation would increase your loyalty to that team or group of players.

Greed, I don't know, I guess some people are just self centred and only care about themselves but I'm sure some must change.

I think it's a good thing that some of these player traits are able to change over time. After all, the saying you hated hearing at 18 when people would say, I wish I knew then what I know now, annoyingly turns out to be true
Matt Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
spitfire
All Star Reserve

I would REALLY like to get some kind of official word on what factors affect the personality traits. If it's random as has been suggested then there's obviously nothing you can do about it. But it would be far more intriguing if young players (or even not so young!) were positively affected by having good character guys to learn from. Conversely, you might have some interesting choices to make if a player with poor traits could negatively affect those of the players around him to some degree. Presumably younger players would be more prone to the influence of others, but I could see even veterans picking up good or not so good habits from players around them. How does this actually work in the game?
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote