Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

XOR NFL Challenge was GREAT!

I would love for this to be something like that....

XOR would closely predict many nfl games.. it was VERY good
Old 05-09-2015, 02:51 AM   #2
james17
All Star Starter

Definitely one of the better football sims. It was a blast to play and I wish it was still around.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
RawIsDan
Bat Boy

It's still around:

Download NFL Challenge - My Abandonware
Old 05-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

Yes but it would be nice to remake it... I hope BTS is kind of this way with the following added:

career mode- check
multiplayer- check
multiplayer that allows you to call the plays- ??

I understand why ootp does not have this.. 162 games but football being 16 games I hope you can at least have the choice to play vs a human in a career online league..

That would be a PERFECT game for all my friends and I who live al over the world
Old 05-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

My office partner and I played an entire season with that game. Absolutely loved it, although it had some play calling flaws. So cool to see the X's and Os moving around!
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Definitely played me some XOR NFL Challenge back in the day.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
mking55
All Star Starter

I read an article in a sports magazine in 1984 where Dan Marino was going to play Joe Montana in this game. I was fascinated. I called everywhere in Toronto looking for this game and finally I found it. $100! (that's more than $233 today). I didn't care, I had to have it.

I was not disappointed and it was worth every penny. I lost many nights sleep just playing. The only flaw in the game was that a good running game could defeat a good passing game. The AI was a passing fool so I stayed on the ground.

The X's and O's were brilliant because you couldn't correctly design really looking players to take the field. The X's and O's were easier to manipulate and after all when a coach diagrams a play, he uses x's and o's and not pictures of the other team.

My kids (who were very young) became orphans for a while. Eventually I rejoined them because all good things must come to an end. Best and most exciting game I ever played and worth every expensive penny.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #8
bama80
Bat Boy

I am surprised to see posts about the first sim of football, XOR’s NFL Challenge, after all these years – I thought it faded into the dustbowl of memories. I just finished grad school in 1988 when a buddy of mine introduced me to NFL Challenge. Fortunately my academics were safely behind me because if I would have seen this sim while a student I would have never finished. LOL. Whether you played against the computer, HTH, or simply watched the computer play call against itself, NFL Challenge was, for its time, immersive. There’s nothing quite like sitting side-by-side with your opponent having to make a play call with the clock winding down. Yeah, I know everything is web-based now, but back in the day if you have a road game you literally travelled with your floppy disks. Hee hee.

NFL Challenge was a simulation of professional football, but also had a Greatest Teams add-on disk (e.g., 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1972 Miami Dolphins, etc.). Two additional but less well known product offerings were the College Alumni Team and College Team add-on disks, which my buddy and I published through XOR in 1990-1991. I still have the 5.25” floppies hidden somewhere in a closet. LOL.

It’s probably asking a lot for a football sim to be all things to all users. Like peeling back the layers of an onion, at its core the sim should produce realistic results for a season when just the AI is playing itself. The challenge, pardon the pun, occurs when gamers get involved and try to exploit vulnerabilities in the game engine in HTH, which can produce skewed results. We developed house rules for NFL Challenge that limited the number of times you could call certain defenses such as FS Blitz or short-yardage defenses such as Inside Charge, Buck Strong and Buck Soft, because they were overpowering and opponents would just use those defensive play calls without experiencing any negative consequences. Anyway, good times!

I currently play Action PC Football and Front Office Football in separate online leagues. Both sims have their strength, but leave me wanting in some areas. Perhaps BTS can become what NFL Challenge Premium Edition never did, a football sim for the ages.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #9
TheSchwami
Bat Boy

XOR NFL Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
Definitely one of the better football sims. It was a blast to play and I wish it was still around.
You have no idea how good a sim this was. Bought the original for $100, best money I ever spent on a "game". The rapid sim mode allowed you to play 100 games in a matter of minutes.

Just one example, the 1988 SB 22 or Scab Bowl, Skins vs Buncos. The Challenge predicted Skins would blow out Denver BIG with a 94% probability. I laid down heavy.

Denver jumped out early 10-0, didn't sweat at all. So confident, end of Q1 10-0, I called and doubled down with my bookie and got +10 points, (Wash was +7 to start the game), he thought he was getting a good deal.

The 2nd quarter was history, 35 unanswered points 35-10 at half. Called him again, gave him +6 points for the 2nd half, and doubled down again. Final 42-10. In the days before caller ID, my phone rang, I knew who it was, he asked "WTF did you know about this game?" Tight lipped and holding back a LOL, "Oh I was just playing around, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then."

The bookies hated me. The "Game" paid for itself thousands of times over. I hated the day XOR went off the grid, in all these years, not even Madden with all its variables has been able to come close. Enjoy.

Last edited by TheSchwami; 01-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

does anyone remember a pc version of madden from around 1985 or 1986? searching the interwebs they are saying the first madden was released on apple in 1988. i can remember playing this on a tandy computer with floppy disks when the disks were floppy.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Was XOR NFL Challenge (1985) related at all to what came after from Micro Sports?

NFL Pro League Football (1989, then again in 1991) look very similar (though the later ones, obviously, had more animation)...but I can't find any info that shows XOR became, or sold the rights to, Micro Sports.

I remember getting NFL Challenge then grousing to my parents that our pathetic little computer wouldn't run it. My dad did not believe in "fancy colour screens" to run Bedford Accounting, so we weren't getting one.

Last edited by Statsman1; 01-10-2017 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ...I was a little apostrophe happy...