Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Could you send me what u have (fictional and real)?
Thanks,
Dcc

Email to carmod43@uwosh.edu
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

The way the import of the settings work is this:

Basically, the settings are applied in two places, the team strategy and the strategy preferences of the coach. The team strategy settings are not altered, but the coach ratings are balanced in order to avoid extremes which would cause problems when the coach switches teams in the game, for example.

In general, for game strategy settings extremes should be avioded, because often a 0 really means "never" (which does not make much sense in many places) and a 10 it mean "always" and often leads to stupid decisions in the game. The league / team total stats may look fine, but in the individual game it may be too extreme. So I suggest rather using values between 2 and 8 instead of 0 and 10.

Bob, I'd love to receive updates of the files too
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The way the import of the settings work is this:

Basically, the settings are applied in two places, the team strategy and the strategy preferences of the coach. The team strategy settings are not altered, but the coach ratings are balanced in order to avoid extremes which would cause problems when the coach switches teams in the game, for example.

In general, for game strategy settings extremes should be avioded, because often a 0 really means "never" (which does not make much sense in many places) and a 10 it mean "always" and often leads to stupid decisions in the game. The league / team total stats may look fine, but in the individual game it may be too extreme. So I suggest rather using values between 2 and 8 instead of 0 and 10.

Bob, I'd love to receive updates of the files too
Markus,

Thank you for your posting.

What I had been working on are the in-game strategies and overall roster strategies that would reflect on how a historical or fictional manager actually managed in a game (in-game strategies) and the way a general manager might try to fashion a team to match how the manager actually managed (overall roster settings).

I did this because I play only solo leagues and I wanted a more competitive AI opponent. Modeling the AI along the lines of a real life famous manager seemed a good way to go. I also decided to make 15 fictional managers to reflect different eras of baseball history. This was for variety sake and in case I wanted to use a fictional league setup.

To that end I made a total of 50 profiles with 35 being famous managers such as Connie Mack. I made the profiles to indicate an overall view of a career or era for that manager. In the case of Connie Mack I made the profile for his managing of his great Athletics teams of the 20's/30's.

The settings I changed were not for the strategy settings given under the scouting & personnel-team personnel-name of the manager-editor. What I changed are the settings you find under the strategy tab that you access from the team home page. There you will see Game Strategy Time and Game Score Situation sliders. This is how the manager shoud manage. It also opens up a variety of possibilities for making the game more realistic. There Overall Roster Strategy settings on the right are general manager type settings. Once you have made the in-games settings changes you export the file, go to its exported location, rename it to your manager's name, and re-import it. I also play without coaching on, which is important as I don’t want the AI to fire the managers I have put in place.

I set these up for managers (both real and fictional) and began to play. I had no problems having played thousands of individual games. I was contacted by PStrickert last year and asked to send the work forward for possibile inclusion in the game. I did so along with lots of documentation. I heard nothing during the beta process (I followed the historical section which is where I posted my project status).

OOTP 12 was released and only my overall roster strategies were used and that for specific managers. Since I felt the vast majority of my work was not included I wrote a post to let people know it existed and I would send it to them if wanted. Lots of people did and I am glad they like the work.

However, I was informed there could be possible problems with some of the settings. So I rechecked every single screen for all fifty managers (1800 in all) and every time I found a slider set to the extreme left or right I moved it one space either way. Again, I had never run into crashes, crazy managerial decisions (other than mine maybe, the AI was fine), or extreme results but I did this anyway to give those using the profiles the reassurance that there would be no problem using them. I started sending them out yesterday so that people can use the original or the revised profiles.

Now I am reading that maybe they should be between 2 and 8. I just don't understand why this could not have been told to me during the beta or even after initial release. Water under the bridge maybe but I am frustrated beyond belief.

For those using the profiles please tell me immediately if there are problems with the revised profiles or with the original ones.

At this point; what do I do? Do I have to go in again and change all of these screens? Is the 2 and 8 recommendation only for when you are using coaching on and editing the manager from scouting & personnel? This might be the case but I can't say.

As it is I am going to stick with what I have got pending reaction from users. Otherwise I feel like I will be chasing my tail.

The need for more historical realism is there and it should be addressed (at least having a database of names for historical umpires is one example). I hope it happens.

Markus, I am prepared to do whatever I can do to make OOTP better. It is better than any baseball game I have played and I have played many. You have done a remarkable job in creating a complex game that can be played in so many fun and interesting ways. I will gladly send you the updates of the files but they are in .str format. If you needed something different let me know. I sent the excel spreadsheet forward last spring with all of the data for the historical and fictional managers along with general manager settings but these are for the original version. Also, on that spreadsheet are temperament ratings for every manager with the suggestion of how they could be implemented having been set separately. Whatever I can do to help I will try and do if however possible.

Apologize for the long post. Markus, if this is something that should be done by PM then please let me know. I posted here so I could reply to you in a more direct manner.
MLHFFYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #24
Stu
All Star Starter

Are these settings available for download anywhere or only via PM? Could you send me a link to download them if only via PM? I'm very interested in checking them out.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Are these settings available for download anywhere or only via PM? Could you send me a link to download them if only via PM? I'm very interested in checking them out.
Send me a PM and I will send you more info on how to get the historical and fictional managers.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #26
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

These are superb, MLHFFYP. Just finished my 1911 season and must report that watching the teams play out the season was a thrill. Never had more fun watching games in ootp. Before using your profiles I would always skip to the end of games because each team seemed so bland, but with your profiles I really had fun waiting to see what each custom manager would do inning by inning. Once again, excellent job on these.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
MLHFFYP
Minors (Double A)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
These are superb, MLHFFYP. Just finished my 1911 season and must report that watching the teams play out the season was a thrill. Never had more fun watching games in ootp. Before using your profiles I would always skip to the end of games because each team seemed so bland, but with your profiles I really had fun waiting to see what each custom manager would do inning by inning. Once again, excellent job on these.
Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Having managers (and general managers) do their jobs in a in a realistic manner adds both to the fun and realism of the game for me as well.

This past week in my 2033 random debut league season Gene Mauch's Milwaukee Brewers won the World Series over the White Sox which were managed by Cap Anson. I made the playoffs with my Red Sox but Rube Foster's Texas Rangers defeated me in the first round of the playoffs. Didn't mind (much) because this is Mauch's second World Series win in my league and I always thought he was a really good manager.

For everybody with the managers one thing you might want to try that is really cool is to have two eight team leagues with great teams and their appropriate managers/general managers. For example, in the league I am starting I will have the 1908 Cubs (Frank Chance/Charles Murphy), 1917 New York Giants (John McGraw/John McGraw), 1941 Brooklyn Dodgers (Leo Durocher/Branch Rickey) and so on. Just another way of making OOTP interesting and fun to boot by making a cool what-if league.

By the way, if you have any suggestions for further managers let me know.

Last edited by MLHFFYP; 01-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
dickysty
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
Dream Teams, I knew this would be right down your alley. I've just started to play around with these profiles and it is very cool.
I was thinking Dream Teams is going to be all over this!

It's a great way to continue to build an awesome solo league.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
RonP
Minors (Triple A)

Hello, tried to pm you and couldn't because your storage space is full. I'd like to get the strategy settings for diff. mgrs.
Ron P
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
gibson112
Bat Boy

One of the reasons I registered was to send you a
private message seeking the tendancies information
for the historical and fictional managers. Being
unfamiliar with how to send private messages I
thought I'd try this--my email is MLHFFYP this sounds like a great addition to the
game. Thanks.

Got private message to work.

Last edited by gibson112; 04-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.
gibson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #31
RchW
Hall Of Famer

PM sent. Thank you for making this available.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #32
rogeraggie
Bat Boy

I would like the file

I would like the file.

roger_ingram@yahoo.com

Thanks
rogeraggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
Tyke
All Star Starter

Just came across this - and if it's good enough for DreamTeams, it's good enough for me! It sounds like a great addition. PM sent.
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #34
dcpcarmona
All Star Starter

Lost them when my CPU went kaboomy, so if someone has these I would love another copy.

dcarmona@nfdlschools.org
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

Does anyone have a copy of this they could send to me?
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

I think this is what you guys are looking for.

I originally never saved the original download by the same exact name.

Let me know if this is the one or not.

https://www.box.com/files/0/f/620298941/1/f_8638157281
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #37
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

By the time i got the confirmation email on my account being created the file was removed.

Do you mind posting it again?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

Here you go.

https://app.box.com/s/jn37iry2rft9l3uqib23

Last edited by Bottom Of The Sixth; 03-12-2020 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Refreshed Link
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #39
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks, that was it.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #40
fauteuil7
Major Leagues

This is amazing! Thank you so much for this, let me know if you need any help with research for more managers.
CBL Rewind Montreal Expos '69-'83 (WC '77, '78, '81, '82, NL Champs '81)
Astros '88- (AL West Champ '88)
fauteuil7 is offline   Reply With Quote