Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #21
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
Checking in from Perfect .402, where my Little League Champs have drawn what looks to be a relatively easy division (thankfully dodging the juggernaut 17-time PL champion Brooklyn Cyclones), and look so far to be on track to make another attempt at a title:

My pitching has been absolutely stellar thusfar, despite a lack of any true S-tier cards (I have the 99 Johnson/Eckerley, and the 89 Sutter, rather than the true top tier versions of each player).

Hoping to cash in on the current win streak and resist the urge to dump my PP into packs like I've been doing. I'd love to make an upgrade in my 3B platoon vs. LHP over the 95 Ripken, and demote him to a full-time backup role. All in all, I'm relatively happy with my roster as-constructed right now though. I don't really have any gaping holes, and I'm at the point where any upgrade is going to involve some major saving or some big time pack luck, since my main squad is a low-money team.
Do you have some relation to Toms River?

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Battling for 1st place in the division. We started a bit slow this season but the Guardians always end up going on a hot streak or two and we are on a 9-1 run now, look the lead for the first time this week. Oddly we haven't played our competition yet, but have 14 games vs them in Aug and Sep so this probably won't be decided til late. I'll post a pic when I get home tonite.

PS. I see you rolled out 3 lefties to combat Wheat, on purpose I am guessing?
Wheat sure can hit, but that was not a strategy, no...I was very intense the first 40 seasons or so managing...although I am not so methodically strategic (meaning I concern myself mostly with my team's set-up and not what other teams are doing unless I notice something that sticks out...(like a "sore thumb")), but have only made a few personal preference changes this week.

My rotation is made up of 3-4 lefties for a few seasons now, which was just an accident I didn't mind.

I tried to put pitching out there that could very well hold up vs. lefties & righties.

P.S. I'm fascinated with human diversity, and am myself a righty tighty 99% of the time, so sometimes I'll think " I love the way that left-handed batter or pitcher does that.", (which is why I imitate them 1% of the time with mild success.)

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-13-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #23
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Like him, his SE Card is very good too.
Helped both of us to our first PL Championships.
(Tripled in game 3 of a 1-0 game in my 1st series victory & used him as my regular 1B that season.)

Picked up Olerud's Mets card which won MVP his first season...in between that series & our series. I am using both of them this season. ...Olerud can hit.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-13-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:25 AM   #24
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
battling for 1st place in the division. We started a bit slow this season but the guardians always end up going on a hot streak or two and we are on a 9-1 run now, look the lead for the first time this week. Oddly we haven't played our competition yet, but have 14 games vs them in aug and sep so this probably won't be decided til late. I'll post a pic when i get home tonite.

Ps. I see you rolled out 3 lefties to combat wheat, on purpose i am guessing?
ok

Old 02-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #25
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagtastic View Post
was kinda hoping i'd see some of the participants in a league sometime and get to join in the banter-- never figured i'd end up sharing a division with huntley and get to read such a well-written and fun season synopsis, with such kind words for my team. thanks. also, arky vaughn is a BEAST.
If you happen to have access to The Athletic, be sure to read the Joe Posnanski Baseball 100 entry about Arky Vaughan (https://theathletic.com/1544773/2020...-arky-vaughan/). Ever since I learned who Arky Vaughan is from Bill James back in the day, Arky's been one of my favorite "greatest player who nobody knows" guys, and Joe's article just cements that.

Mirroring real life, Arky's PT value is incredibly underrated. I've been embarrassingly proud to have Arky be a huge part of my PT 1.0 and 2.0 teams (and I can't imagine he won't eventually be a member of Red Raiders PT3.0!). Whenever a long-time PT Red Raider is replaced, I hold on to the card for a while but eventually break down and sell it...except for Arky. He will forever occupy a spot on my reserve roster.

Quote:
you and i definitely have similarities in team construction. it's fun to see other expressions of the kinda generalist/platoon philosophy, especially as several of the places we differ, you have players i have considered or been curious(/fantasized) about (yogi, norm [better than boggs?], ozzie).
THIS IS A (MANUFACTURED) RIVALRY ALERT

Obviously, Norm Cash is better than Wade Boggs!

THIS HAS BEEN A (MANUFACTURED) RIVALRY ALERT

Quote:
because i am sure people are curious after that riveting synopsis-- huntley ended the day a game up on my bulldogs in the divisional and conference races. the red raiders' advantage vs the field continues. it would help if newhouser could get his era under 5 (not all his fault-- despite a *typically* decent defense behind him, his FIP is a full 1.5 runs lower)... sigh.

best of luck the rest of the way!
You too! Here's hoping whichever one of us is relegated to the Wild Card Coin Flip makes it through; however the AC East race plays out, this needs to be settled on the field in the Division Series.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #26
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Helped both of us to our first PL Championships.
(Tripled in game 3 of a 1-0 game in my 1st series victory & used him as my regular 1B that season.)

Picked up Olerud's Mets card which won MVP his first season...in between that series & our series. I am using both of them this season. ...Olerud can hit.
Hernandez has better speed so was a better fit for me. Chipper has been about the same overall but gives me a little more balance being a switch hitter. I kinda miss Keith actually, on the bright side I flipped him for 6k more than I bought him for so all good.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #27
zagtastic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

thanks for the arky link! i was not familiar with his story, and that was a fascinating read. maybe the coolest thing about this game is how it's a direct link to so many great stories and so much history.

jackie robinson's biography was my favorite book for a significant portion of grade school, and the thought of being able to slot him into my dream team is probably what convinced me to become a paying player of this game.

of course, he's now on my reserve roster as ripken is a better fit in my platoon scheme. :cringe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
THIS IS A (MANUFACTURED) RIVALRY ALERT

Obviously, Norm Cash is better than Wade Boggs!

THIS HAS BEEN A (MANUFACTURED) RIVALRY ALERT
hah, i misinterpreted your previous post as saying that you had switched from boggs to norm recently. so i was honestly curious about your experience there.

p.s. boggs would wipe the floor with norm. go zags!

Quote:
You too! Here's hoping whichever one of us is relegated to the Wild Card Coin Flip makes it through; however the AC East race plays out, this needs to be settled on the field in the Division Series.
agreed, and not just because it looks like you're pulling away with it...
zagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:40 PM   #28
Orion
Major Leagues

Respect the Old, Embrace the New

Direwolves sense blood, owner OK's investment to get coveted RF Cody B. GM Basil D lets the fans know "We're all in for the Division Win."
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #29
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
If you happen to have access to The Athletic, be sure to read the Joe Posnanski Baseball 100 entry about Arky Vaughan (https://theathletic.com/1544773/2020...-arky-vaughan/). Ever since I learned who Arky Vaughan is from Bill James back in the day, Arky's been one of my favorite "greatest player who nobody knows" guys, and Joe's article just cements that.

Mirroring real life, Arky's PT value is incredibly underrated. I've been embarrassingly proud to have Arky be a huge part of my PT 1.0 and 2.0 teams (and I can't imagine he won't eventually be a member of Red Raiders PT3.0!). Whenever a long-time PT Red Raider is replaced, I hold on to the card for a while but eventually break down and sell it...except for Arky. He will forever occupy a spot on my reserve roster.
I am riveted by these articles as well.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:39 PM   #30
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Final update before the Warbirds owner set the team to autopilot (2 weeks) while they sun themselves.

Warbirds are in P401 this week.
There have been some teams that have been in the same league now for 3 straight weeks. I am sure the Green Lake Cowboys have seen enough of the Warbirds as it has not gone good for them.

Other notables: Glendale Golden Grizzlies (9PL), Cross town Rivals (4PL), Grove City Grannies who are in the same division (4PL), and 4 single PL champions.

Off to a great Start...the Warbirds boast a 83-20 record. The POST AS record the last 4 seasons has been staggering so if that trend continues we could be looking at special regular season.

Here's hoping old AI Manager keeps the Warbirds on course.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:51 PM   #31
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hernandez has better speed so was a better fit for me. Chipper has been about the same overall but gives me a little more balance being a switch hitter. I kinda miss Keith actually, on the bright side I flipped him for 6k more than I bought him for so all good.
Yeah, I went all switch-hitters one season to bypass the lefty-righty figuring, I actually became a bit tired of right-handed batters having trouble with right-handed pitching & left-handed batters with left-handed pitching...

And what happened was we finished with about 5 less regular season wins but made the PL series for the first time... It did give the lineup a nice balance vs. any pitcher even though they were all gold level cards mostly with 2 or 3 exceptions maybe...a bronze at first base, Rose a low diamond in the outfield & Mantle 97 in center...I believe the other 6 were all gold. We stole a ton of bases. I noted that unless it was a coincidence, switch-hitters tend to be better base-stealers than Rs & Ls.

Lower runs (but not by much), Higher batting average.

And that was my introduction to the Chipper Jones 88 card because I wanted to complete the lineup with all 9 switch-hitters & maybe be competitive...He was very solid...his ratings are at least above average, all of them.

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 02-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #32
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
agreed, and not just because it looks like you're pulling away with it...
Hard to say--as the current standings show, Huntley is indeed on a 13-game winning streak that has widened our division lead all the way to a massive...

...4.5 games.

I think the 6 remaining Red Raiders-Bulldogs h2h matchups may very well end up deciding this, and considering Gonzaga is now 9-4 vs Huntley, that doesn't bode well for the Red Raiders...
Attached Images

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:56 AM   #33
FancySkunk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Do you have some relation to Toms River?
Yup, I grew up there.
FancySkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
Orion
Major Leagues

Angel Fire has pulled away as expected. I thought we were the favorites to win it all when I saw the League, zero whales to be seen, but my division has some good teams. Astro Plane started red hot and the Dertroit theme team has some great cards like Perfect Cash, Perfect Cobb, and 99 Hal. 13 games left vs AP so it's not in the bag yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Orion; 02-14-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #35
Orion
Major Leagues

Ups wrong pic again.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #36
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

I approve of this offensive/defensive combination
Attached Images
Old 02-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #37
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Hah, on a 23-4 run and I've made up a game and a half in the standings.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:09 PM   #38
zagtastic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Hard to say--as the current standings show, Huntley is indeed on a 13-game winning streak that has widened our division lead all the way to a massive...

...4.5 games.

I think the 6 remaining Red Raiders-Bulldogs h2h matchups may very well end up deciding this, and considering Gonzaga is now 9-4 vs Huntley, that doesn't bode well for the Red Raiders...
so, to this point i'm playing solid .750+ ball...

and since june 24th, the huntley red raiders have gone an astonishing 41-1 against "the field".

now i'm 7.5 games back. go ahead and lose some, make it interesting again!

Last edited by zagtastic; 02-14-2020 at 07:15 PM.
zagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
Yup, I grew up there.
You did?

Old 02-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #40
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
I approve of this offensive/defensive combination
I approve of that...dancing banana at the least.