Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #21
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Why does this seem like a smoke screen to get people to stop focusing on the cheating scandal? A story that keeps getting juicier with a player suing the Astros for 31 million and new evidence that this was not player driven but front office driven.

If this is a legitimate idea, the players union would be crazy to accept it as it is simply a weak attempt to try and force tight fisted owners to actually compete. It won’t work because those jack wagons are completely satisfied with turning profits and being in the part of a the “boys” club without having to compete.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #22
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Is this true? Because it will be another thing that I don't like about this proposal. I like baseball but I don't want to be looking at it into November.

Hyperbole on my part, but unless the regular season ends earlier they would have to play post season games into November.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Stealing signs and all through legitimate means is part of baseball history, and will be, I'm sure. This very well could be merely a diversionary tactic to obfuscate the reality that certain teams may not have operated properly or fairly in terms of trying to compete against other teams. While there may have been some people who were given immunity from possible prosecution or punishment for information related to the likely wrongdoing here, the fact remains that some teams may not have operated fairly and all here, of course.

The love of money and fame and whatnot will make some people do what may not be fair or right, whether in sports or in other endeavors in life, as I'm sure we're all quite aware of, folks. This may be part of this plan here to potentially expand the postseason schedule of games, I think, as a result, by certain baseball officials, especially the Commissioner, seeing as he's in overall leadership over the Major Leagues and its related organizational structure.

This will not help attract people to games, when more playoff games make regular-season games less relevant and less important in the long run. What challenge is there to do your best when there's not much at stake, ultimately? Very little, if any, when it's almost like everyone gets into the postseason just for playing in leagues? Forget that! If everyone gets in, where's the excitement and all? Make people work for what they earn, and they will typically value it more, I think.

These are just some thoughts of mine about this nonsensical proposal here on my birthday and all. Take them as you will, or not, of course, folks. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.

Last edited by Clovidequano Dovatha; 02-11-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

The current system is convoluted and may annoy purists but is a great compromise between keeping most teams in the playoff hunt until the end, and rewarding the best teams with the best records. The proposed system is just a convoluted way to be “original” which in the end just copies the NBA and NHL playoffs.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Playoffs don't need more water.

MLB should include all teams in the playoffs. Make the playoffs a 162 game schedule. See who wins it all at the end.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I do wonder what the owners are thinking at this point, as well as the union leadership.

The Owners are businessmen of course, and I would think that they would have some concerns about this from the point of view that it is somehwhat indicative of an overall disjointed approach to things like attendance; these issues willl eventually hit all revenue centers over the long-term.

Not sure what to make of it, but I am glad people are finally starting to speak-up; the 26 man roster expansion was I think in-part, a nod to the player's union over some of the changes, like the 3 batter minimum and other proposals.

Tough to get a read on the current Union / owner / Comissioner's office dynamic from the outside, but it would be interesting to get more information on the direction of the league.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #27
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

The one thing I loved about Baseball when I was a little kid growing up was the fact that just making the playoffs was reason to celebrate. Hockey and Basketball have always been a disgrace. The NHL was actually worse years ago. Imagine that, worse than allowing half the teams make the playoffs. Now pretty much none of the 4 top sports make playoffs anything to celebrate. Just ho hum.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #28
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Bauer vs. Numbfred, Round 2 - ding! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDau0Xvtjk

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
neugey
All Star Reserve

The current playoff format is one of the big things MLB has going for it. I actually prefer it the most out of the 4 major American sports. But hey, let's solve a problem that doesn't exist, Manfred logic.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #30
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
The current system is convoluted and may annoy purists but is a great compromise between keeping most teams in the playoff hunt until the end, and rewarding the best teams with the best records. The proposed system is just a convoluted way to be “original” which in the end just copies the NBA and NHL playoffs.
If keeping most teams in the playoff hunt is beneficial, then go all the way. Play all season and then eliminate the worst team in each division. Then start the playoffs.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 AM   #31
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

If baseball wants to keep more teams in the race until near the end, the answer is to have close to equal talent.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:31 AM   #32
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Neither do I, unless there's a global tournament for champions of certain top-level leagues like what we may see in our dynasties' League Association playoffs, for example. Then it might be okay to see baseball in late October and/or early November. And what's with having the amateur draft in late spring or early summer? Better it be done during the offseason, in my view, like many of us often have it in our dynasties, including me?

Just some thoughts from my now-47-year-old self here. Feel free to take them as you will, or not, folks. By the way, my birthday yesterday was good, and I was able to have at least some fun during it, for sure, thankfully. CD out.

Postscript: This particular message was meant as a response to DB's post at the bottom of the previous page, just so you know. Thank you. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.

Last edited by Clovidequano Dovatha; 02-12-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #33
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
By the way, my birthday yesterday was good, and I was able to have at least some fun during it, for sure, thankfully.
Many happy returns!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #34
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The one thing I loved about Baseball when I was a little kid growing up was the fact that just making the playoffs was reason to celebrate. Hockey and Basketball have always been a disgrace. The NHL was actually worse years ago. Imagine that, worse than allowing half the teams make the playoffs. Now pretty much none of the 4 top sports make playoffs anything to celebrate. Just ho hum.
Prestige is pretty nice, but can't buy a new yacht with prestige
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #35
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Every day, I like Trevor Bauer a bit more....
Today on Cleveland sports talk radio they played some comments Trevor made about the proposed changes. He was not happy at all. And I agreed with everything he said.

I don't see how having more teams in the playoffs can possibly be a good thing. Isn't that one of the complaints about the NBA? Too many not-that-great teams in the playoffs?
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #36
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Ya know, when you have to crib your ideas from low-level minor league hockey, you know you're running low. What next, Special Advisors to The Commissioner, The Hanson Brothers?

http://thesphl.com/view/thesphl/news/news_509242
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #37
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The one thing I loved about Baseball when I was a little kid growing up was the fact that just making the playoffs was reason to celebrate.

So much this. I always thought it was so cool for fans of a team to gradually get more and more excited as summer progressed with their team in first place or within a shout of it. More importantly, that all of that actually meant something. Nowadays, there's little reason to get excited during the summer months like there used to be.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #38
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

THIS is the legit way to set your playoff field:
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #39
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
THIS is the legit way to set your playoff field:
Attached Images
Old 02-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #40
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
The current playoff format is one of the big things MLB has going for it. I actually prefer it the most out of the 4 major American sports. But hey, let's solve a problem that doesn't exist, Manfred logic.
A problem DOES exist. Actually two. A schedule that results in unequal opposition and including teams already eliminated in the regular season in the post season.

Manfred isn't breaking a good system. He's making a bad system worse.