Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
jaymojangles
Bat Boy

Does anyone know the qualifiers for Finesse Pitcher?

I can't seem to pin it down, I know it has something to do with Control but some guys i think should be "Finesse" type are Groundballers, Power Pitchers, or Normal type, anyone figured out the qualifiers yet?
jaymojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

It is probably also related to how hard they throw.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
jaymojangles
Bat Boy

I wouldnt care so much if there was a way to search by pitcher type, but i havent found a way to do that either
Old 07-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

I don't know myself, but have always associated 'finesse pitchers' as pitchers with a large arsenal. Or perhaps the percentage of fastballs thrown (i.e. Justin Verlander throws 70%+ fastballs, Greg Maddux threw like, a few)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
I don't know myself, but have always associated 'finesse pitchers' as pitchers with a large arsenal. Or perhaps the percentage of fastballs thrown (i.e. Justin Verlander throws 70%+ fastballs, Greg Maddux threw like, a few)
Common misconception about maddux, he actually threw about 69% (nice) fastballs it was just of the 2 seam sinking variety.
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
Len1950
Minors (Single A)

I believe the relationship between coach type, player rating, and statistical result breaks down as follows:

Pitching:
Finesse Coaches are good for developing Control, which affects walks.
Power Coaches are good for developing Stuff, which affects strikeouts.
Groundballer Coaches are good for developing Movement, which affects home runs.

Hitting:
Patience Coaches are good for developing Eye, which affects walks.
Contact Coaches are good for developing 'Avoid K's', which affects, naturally, strikeouts.
Power Coaches are good for developing power, which affects home runs.

I select my coaches on this basis, at any rate, and it does seem to pull team stats in that direction.
Len1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
jaymojangles
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len1950 View Post
I believe the relationship between coach type, player rating, and statistical result breaks down as follows:

Pitching:
Finesse Coaches are good for developing Control, which affects walks.
Power Coaches are good for developing Stuff, which affects strikeouts.
Groundballer Coaches are good for developing Movement, which affects home runs.

Hitting:
Patience Coaches are good for developing Eye, which affects walks.
Contact Coaches are good for developing 'Avoid K's', which affects, naturally, strikeouts.
Power Coaches are good for developing power, which affects home runs.

I select my coaches on this basis, at any rate, and it does seem to pull team stats in that direction.
No i get that, but from the Manual:

"The focus also defines players who the coach will work best with - a power hitter will tend to get a better overall improvement from a power focused hitting coach. The Relationships tab indicates which players are classified as belonging to the same style as the coach."

its easy to go and grab hitters of a certain type, but i have a Excellent Finesse coach, and cant seem to reliably locate pitchers of that type because im not sure what to look for other than high control, but alot of high control pitchers invariably end up being other pitching archetypes, and theres no way to search for Pitchers of a certain Type
Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
Len1950
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
cant seem to reliably locate pitchers of that type because im not sure what to look for other than high control, but alot of high control pitchers invariably end up being other pitching archetypes, and theres no way to search for Pitchers of a certain Type
The only suggestion I can think of is to make sure you get players who have high control potential, high work ethic, and high intelligence. Players also develop better on happy, winning teams, if you can arrange that.

That's all I've got, except that I've lately been hiring managers who also have the kind of coaching expertise I need, to serve as kind of a second pitching coach -- but I haven't been doing that long enough to know whether it helps..
Len1950 is offline   Reply With Quote