Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

My game crashed, and now my FaceGens are gone...

For any players who had their Facegens created by me (in other words, not historical Facegens from a pack), they are now missing after the game crashed. I can't find them anywhere. Are they gone for good or can they be recovered?

*note: I'm sorry to repost this here, but I posted it in the Bug Reports area first but it's not technically a "bug." I just need help, as some of these FaceGens are 7 years old and I've grown accustomed to these players.
ConStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I had the same thing happen to me in my EBL vs MLB league on my PC. I lost 3 months of progress and have since used a restore. No one ever responded to my posts or help ticket. This was in August. I just started playing that save again 2 weeks ago.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConStar View Post
For any players who had their Facegens created by me (in other words, not historical Facegens from a pack), they are now missing after the game crashed. I can't find them anywhere. Are they gone for good or can they be recovered?

*note: I'm sorry to repost this here, but I posted it in the Bug Reports area first but it's not technically a "bug." I just need help, as some of these FaceGens are 7 years old and I've grown accustomed to these players.
The game crashing should never result in your losing files external to the save like facegens.

Where were you storing them, in the regular facegen folder? What's in your facegen folder now?

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if the files still exist, is there a function in game that restores them or does it auto-load from the directory? if not, can't do anything.

if based on playerid, was a purge done recently or anything that would cause a shift in playerIDs or something similar in effect that would cause a mistarget of the facegen files?

if it auto-loads... is the file accessible by a text editor or anything, if not in-game function to restore from files. could point them to the right picture/player with some copy paste magic and good sorting. i've never had facegen turned on, so the specifics of functions available in game aren't familiar and never looked into related files in explorer.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-20-2019 at 04:59 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
The game crashing should never result in your losing files external to the save like facegens.

Where were you storing them, in the regular facegen folder? What's in your facegen folder now?

I'm not quite sure how to answer the question you posed. I wasn't aware I was "storing" them anywhere, to be honest. I thought once a FaceGen was generated, it sort of stuck to the player's file.

When I open up the "fg_files" folder, the only FaceGens in there are ones from real-life players that seemed to come with OOTP19 when I bought it last year and updated my OOTP18 game to OOTP19. There are no fictional players for whom I generated pictures in that folder.

When I loaded up my most recent game (which unfortunately is also my backup, as I backup daily and didn't realize I'd backed up the game until I saw the FaceGens missing), FaceGen was enabled in the FILE menu, but the GAME menu was suddenly set to "No Fictional Pictures" under the Game Settings submenu. If I change that to "Major League Players Only," suddenly all my guys get new FaceGens. The old ones are gone.

The game, by the way, isn't what crashed; the computer's GPU crashed while the game was running, if that makes a difference.

Where should I be looking for these files that I might not already have looked?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
txranger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConStar View Post
I'm not quite sure how to answer the question you posed. I wasn't aware I was "storing" them anywhere, to be honest. I thought once a FaceGen was generated, it sort of stuck to the player's file.

When I open up the "fg_files" folder, the only FaceGens in there are ones from real-life players that seemed to come with OOTP19 when I bought it last year and updated my OOTP18 game to OOTP19. There are no fictional players for whom I generated pictures in that folder.

When I loaded up my most recent game (which unfortunately is also my backup, as I backup daily and didn't realize I'd backed up the game until I saw the FaceGens missing), FaceGen was enabled in the FILE menu, but the GAME menu was suddenly set to "No Fictional Pictures" under the Game Settings submenu. If I change that to "Major League Players Only," suddenly all my guys get new FaceGens. The old ones are gone.

The game, by the way, isn't what crashed; the computer's GPU crashed while the game was running, if that makes a difference.

Where should I be looking for these files that I might not already have looked?

The folder fg_files contains the face gen files that came with the game or any made up fg file that you or someone made up with the Face Gen Modeler software and copied to this folder so the game would recognize it...

Player photos generated by the game are stored in your saved game folder here:

\saved_games\your game name.lg\news\html\images\person_pictures

there is also a folder for profile pictures here:

\data\saved_games\New Game.lg\news\html\images\profile_pictures

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger View Post
The folder fg_files contains the face gen files that came with the game or any made up fg file that you or someone made up with the Face Gen Modeler software and copied to this folder so the game would recognize it...

Why would a save upon crashing delete all custom FG's? Mine froze while loading on my slow PC and I ctrl-alt-del then when i came back all of my custom Fg's were erased from the game despite still showing up in the save game folder.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Why would a save upon crashing delete all custom FG's? Mine froze while loading on my slow PC and I ctrl-alt-del then when i came back all of my custom Fg's were erased from the game despite still showing up in the save game folder.

It might not get erased, but a crash like that could corrupt the file and making it impossible by the program to use.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

OK, I found them. They are exactly where you said they would be.

Now, how to make the game recognize them again?
Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #10
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Bumping this to see if anyone has new info.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

So I happened to locate an old save of this game, a backup I'd made when I transferred computers a year ago. The game save has copies of all my old pictures for players created prior to 2018. That's not an optimum solution, but at least I have the files. Anyway...

I can't figure out a way to make the game recognize they exist. I can put them in a folder, go into "Database" under GAME SETTINGS and instruct the system to look in a specific folder for the old pictures, but it will not do it.

What's the solution here? Do I need to copy and paste pictures from the old save file into the current game folder? Or is there a way to force the game to look in the folder I recovered for the old files?
Old 02-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
endgame
Hall Of Famer

You might search this, but I think deleting the face.dat or faces.dat recreates the faces using your files.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
txranger
Hall Of Famer

I think Endgame is correct, but I would also suggest you search that topic and/or backup your files before you change anything...

Also, have you checked under the File tab, Settings, 3D & Facegen to be sure that Facegen is enabled... Also check in the game, Settings, Players and Facegen, Facegen Settings and be sure that Player pictures are set for "All Players."
Just a couple of thoughts that maybe somehow those could have gotten changed somehow... Hope you can figure this out...

Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
You might search this, but I think deleting the face.dat or faces.dat recreates the faces using your files.

What folder/path is that going to be in? I'm having trouble putting my hands on it. EDIT: Nevermind, found it, deleted it, and it had no effect.

Also, I mentioned further up the thread, but Facegen is enabled in the FILE menu but is set to "No Fictional Pictures" in the GAME/Game Settings menu. However, when I turned it changed it to "Major League Players Only" in the GAME menu is when the system decided to assign new pictures to all my ML guys. I turned it back to "No Fictional Pictures" and made this thread. I have not tried "All Players" yet because I don't assign FaceGens to minor leaguers.

Last edited by ConStar; 02-24-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #15
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Deleting the faces.dat file didn't seem to make a difference.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #16
txranger
Hall Of Famer

Don't know if you did this or if would matter, but did you quit/shut down/exit the game, then delete the file, the start the game and load up your league file... At this point it should regenerate a new faces.dat file...

Old 02-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #17
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Don't know if you did this or if would matter, but did you quit/shut down/exit the game, then delete the file, the start the game and load up your league file... At this point it should regenerate a new faces.dat file...

I tried this, and it did generate a new faces.dat file, but that's the only thing that happened. The faces didn't come back.

If you go to "Rosters & Transactions" right now and mouse over a name on my roster, there's about a 50/50 chance a preview picture pops up. Then, when you click on that name, there's only about a 50/50 chance that the preview picture will appear on the player's individual file/page.

I pulled up a player that had neither a mouseover preview picture, nor a picture on his individual page. I tried manually loading his picture from the year-old save version by searching for the picture that matched his player ID and uploading it via the "Import Photo File" option under the EDITOR menu. Sure enough, it would load -- but instead of loading a close-up headshot of him that took up the entire photo area, it instead uploaded a smaller, zoomed-out shot that cut off at his chest, sort of the same photo the "baseball card" function uses. If I tried to reload/refresh this picture, it went away.

I guess I could go through, one at the time, and refresh pictures, but they're not going to be the proper zoom/cut to match the other files, on top of it being tedious work.

I still feel like I'm missing a global step here.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Can you send me all the .dat files for your saved game and I can try to load them and see what I get.

For the facegens you lost, are they custom faces created/downloaded by you or are they the faces the game auto-generates?

If custom faces, please zip up and send the facegen folder as well. Thanks!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #19
ConStar
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Can you send me all the .dat files for your saved game and I can try to load them and see what I get.

For the facegens you lost, are they custom faces created/downloaded by you or are they the faces the game auto-generates?

If custom faces, please zip up and send the facegen folder as well. Thanks!

I will send you the requested files. By email directly to you, I take it?

The FaceGens I lost were ones the game created by going under the EDITOR tab, clicking Picture Functions and ordering it to generate a photo. I don't have the game set to auto-generate a photo upon player creation. I wait until they reach the Majors and then generate them one at a time via the process I just outlined, in the interest of conserving disk space.

I have some hand-created FaceGens that came with OOTP 19 (for current, real-life players), but they weren't affected by this issue. They're in a separate folder and the game manages to find them just fine. The only ones I've lost were the ones created through the EDITOR tab.

I'll get that stuff to you tonight when I get home from work. Thanks for helping me.