Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Is This Game For Me?

I like to play historical seasons with historical players. I like to let AI play most of the regular season games - I manage a few during the season and near the end if there are close races - then play the post season games as manager.

I want situational statistics disabled. I believe the sample size is way too small on things like RISP for those stats to be valid. Also I want to edit players as I believe small sample size from a single season makes ratings on things like outfielder throwing, running speed, and L/R splits unreliable. But I don't want to use overall 5 year stats or something like that, just manually calculated adjustments on specific items.

Will this game work for my style of play?

Thank you!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Number4
Major Leagues

Yes. Stats like "hitting with RISP" are calculated, yet there is no player attribute which improves or diminishes that ability. Players are mostly governed by the core abilities (contact, power, eye, etc.), and if a guy has a good avg with RISP, it's because he's either lucky or his skillset leads to that (I imagine a powerful hitter with few Ks and a fly ball tendency might get more sac flys, which improves his avg.) No arcadey "clutch" stat.

You can adjust player values, eg. if you think a L/R split of a player is too big, you could up his ratings against one side, lower to the other or both. You could also f.ex. only improve power against lefties if that is what you like.

I'm playing my games out, but there are also a lot of ways to simulate and let the AI make decisions for you.

Last edited by Number4; 05-17-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
I like to play historical seasons with historical players. I like to let AI play most of the regular season games - I manage a few during the season and near the end if there are close races - then play the post season games as manager.

I want situational statistics disabled. I believe the sample size is way too small on things like RISP for those stats to be valid. Also I want to edit players as I believe small sample size from a single season makes ratings on things like outfielder throwing, running speed, and L/R splits unreliable. But I don't want to use overall 5 year stats or something like that, just manually calculated adjustments on specific items.

Thank you!
I don't know. Question; is there any game out there that works exactly as you need? OOTP is the best in the genre right now. For a very small investment you could find out. With that said my comments are:

This is a ratings based game engine. Now stats may be used to generate ratings, but there is no rating for RISP. Each play result is based on the ratings involved in the batter/pitcher interaction and the fielder ratings involved if the play result needs it. The genius of OOTP is its ability to generate believable and highly accurate statistical output with a development/aging curve second to none.

Look at this forum. Your investment has literally no downside.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 05-17-2016 at 06:18 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You can't really "disable" stats per se, but you can customize a lot of views so they don't show. For example, on the teams line-up and pitching pages shown here, you can customize which stats are displayed.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You can't really "disable" stats per se, but you can customize a lot of views so they don't show. For example, on the teams line-up and pitching pages shown here, you can customize which stats are displayed.
Sorry for the news question, but how do you customize the stats displayed? Also, I've seen YouTube videos of the 'Rosters & Transactions' tab where it lists 9 rosters (MLB,AAA,Int'l Complex, DFA, etc.). Mine only has room for 4. How do I change that?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I feel compelled to state that stats are a result, not ratings and nothing to do with (other than their use in generating base player ratings) any game results. OOTP except in some very limited ways is not a replay engine.

Lukasberger will correct me if this is wrong.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 05-17-2016 at 06:52 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #7
gglennwill
Minors (Triple A)

Yes.
gglennwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes. You can do all of this. I know because I have done all of this before. You can even use the real life transactions for that season.

Quote:
You can manually edit players to your heart's content. As has already been mentioned, ratings, not stats, are the main driver for performance (and you can adjust a dampening effect that will mitigate the influence of small sample sizes. So don't worry about some September call-up who went 3-for-4 with a home run going and breaking Rogers Hornsby's and Barry Bonds's single-season records just because he hit .750/.750/1.750 in his short time in the bigs. Indeed, their ratings will probably be around replacement level but you can adjust them however you wish.

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
Thank you!
You're most welcome.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

This is the game for you
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thank you!
The only reason it wouldn't be for you is if you preferred an action sports simulation - like MLB the Show type baseball game. not much action here. so, it sounds up your alley.

You can edit players to your heart's content. the player creation modifiers and league total modifiers should be able to accomplish this. this would be more for fictional play though. you can edit an individual's ratings at any time.

split stats: historical leagues have an option to turn this off... in a fictional league it isn't based on small sample sizes. it may or may not be the "correct" distribution, but the results should be similar.

there are a lot of historic play-specific options. especially about how they are rated and even how they develop - closer to history or let the game do it's normal thing with aging and whatnot and recreate history in many ways.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-17-2016 at 07:46 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I feel compelled to state that stats are a result, not ratings and nothing to do with (other than their use in generating base player ratings) any game results. OOTP except in some very limited ways is not a replay engine.

Lukasberger will correct me if this is wrong.
that's what i was initially going to write.. then i re-read it. i think his concern is about how historical players get their ratings that are related to small samples relative to an individual player's real life stats.

RiSP results from simulations defintiely don't cause change - they are a result of change when they shift for reasons not related to randomness/luck of the draw. law of independent results precludes it. no worries on that... but a historical player's split stats can only be based on their small sample real-life data vs Lefties and a little bit of common sense - a very subjective element in those ratings. some players may actually get enough AB, but 900AB over 10 years is not the same as when you read that 990AB is the point at which a BA will become clear. it will require more the greater number of years it's sprad across, and even then you only get the overall average with confidence. how it should be distributed throughout his career is a total crapshoot.

fictionally created players are just tuned based on overall league Split stats - i'd assume, which is a large sample size. Distribution could be understood to some extent too - less of an issue than for historical play, though.

in general the righty numbers are most likely fine, but lefty numbers are undeniably based on low-confidence sample sizes. i could see concern for that in historical leagues. they have an option to turn that off for that reason.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Sorry for the news question, but how do you customize the stats displayed? Also, I've seen YouTube videos of the 'Rosters & Transactions' tab where it lists 9 rosters (MLB,AAA,Int'l Complex, DFA, etc.). Mine only has room for 4. How do I change that?

Thanks in advance.
1. In those views, there is a drop down along the top titled "View" - in this instance it displays "Batting Stats 1" or "Pitching Stats 1". Click on the dropdown, there are multiple predefined selections, as well as one titled "Custom". Click on that and create your own custom view and save it. The view will now be available as an option in the drop down.

2. Change your screen resolution to increase what you can see. Depends on both what your monitor is set to as well as game settings.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #13
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
This is a ratings based game engine. Now stats may be used to generate ratings,
The essence of my question is whether I'm able to edit stats that are aberrations. Here's a real example

LH batter, career

Overall 282
Against LHP 250
Against RHP 294

That's a reasonable difference in left vs right performance.

But in a single season the same batter ran this:

Overall 274
Against LHP 284
Against RHP 243

This season is clearly an aberration and might result in a human manager - even a computer manager - benching this LH batter against RHPs, which is silly. My view is the sample size is too small to be valid. My edit for this would be to apportion the overall 274 for the odd season according to the player's average left and right performance over his career.

Some stats are bad stats to use for a game, and I think this is a good example. I want to be able to fix bad stats such as this one, and ones that result in wide year to year variations on things like fielding and speed. I'm gathering the edit feature will allow me to do this.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 PM   #14
Number4
Major Leagues

You cannot edit stats. If the game uses the past stats to generate a L/R split, you can change the ratings. But the games with the strange stats have been played, why should you be able to change this? It's as you said a statistical fluke, but flukes happen in baseball.

If you played the game, you'd look at a batter ratings, which I'll show in the picture below. This will govern the performance. Stats have NO effect on future performances, except if they were used to generate the player ratings.

If those ratings were generated on a small sample size and someone had for example as a lefty a better contact against lefties rating than contact against righties, you could edit this to your liking.

Just a disclaimer: defense here is just a summary, the defensive side has detailed ratings as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Number4; 05-17-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
The only reason it wouldn't be for you is if you preferred an action sports simulation - like MLB the Show type baseball game. not much action here. so, it sounds up your alley.
The reason I'm looking for a sim is because of database errors in the classic I'm playing now - they left triples out of the pitcher's data in every season I've checked! - and because fielding ratings use games played as the divisor instead of innings played. Also the speed ratings vary widely year to year because of the small sample size. Basically I have to edit most players in every season I want to play.

However, I will greatly miss the ambiance of an announcer. Especially one I listened to for years announcing the game of the week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odTZHMQD9EM
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

OOTP does have a text-to-speech option if you don't mind Stephen Hawking announcing your game...

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
These are the droids you're looking for.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:40 AM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
OOTP does have a text-to-speech option if you don't mind Stephen Hawking announcing your game...
You actually can get text-to-speech working really well, and there are some excellent voices available for it. Go look up the old threads on it.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...xt-speech.html

Old 05-18-2016, 01:51 AM   #20
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
You cannot edit stats. If the game uses the past stats to generate a L/R split, you can change the ratings. But the games with the strange stats have been played, why should you be able to change this? It's as you said a statistical fluke, but flukes happen in baseball.
Well, maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought that due to the small number of events generated by the data the flukes were built in. IOW, if you play a season and a batter's input data is 290 against right and 260 against left the output most of the time would be in perhaps a plus/minus 20 or 25 point range from that. But occasionally it would be a lot more.

So in that situation a fluke season would be an unknown until after it occurred. If it was known in advance, as it is when its part of the input, then it could be gamed by a human manager by, as in my earlier example, benching a LH hitter against RHPs.