Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 PM   #121
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstunt View Post
I agree with you. I think it goes without saying that this could be an issue solved by having a kickstarter to hire someone to do the interface which from my understanding is the only thing that requires work. From there OOTP marketing should take over because I don't think their marketing team does any programming.

For the OOTP staff or Jim himself, I would gladly put up money and still buy the game at full price just for a developer's blog and the game's release.
It's not just Kickstarter either. A lot of the Indy devs also use patreon in addition to Kickstarter. So there is always a constant flow of information.

I've always completely disagreed with how ootp game info is released to the public. It's like 2 months before launch. While the majority of Indy games either have weekly, bi-weekly or monthly updates in numerous platforms.

Their is Kickstarter, patreon, steam early access all of these platforms encourage constant updating to the fan base.

I guess it's cause ootp caters more towards the "non gamer" but that's also why it'll never be as big as football manager or motorsport manager. Those games attract gamers because they are top notch games. Not solely because they are sports fan or specific sports fans.

Just check YouTube and twitch for ootpb. It's DEAD! They get no videos from content creator. Quill18 is doing a motorsport play through and it gets like 50k viewers for a 4 year old game. When the game was new it would get 200-500k views.

I'm not sure if you add up all the ootp vids if they would get 50k combined.

Modern games are moved to the public from YouTubers and twitch users. Ootp doesn't attract any.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #122
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

I much preferred FOF to Draft Day Sports football but i must admit that in the short period i played DDS Gary and especially Brooks where really helpful answering questions etc. 10 out 10 for customer support!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #123
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatcat View Post
I much preferred FOF to Draft Day Sports football but i must admit that in the short period i played DDS Gary and especially Brooks where really helpful answering questions etc. 10 out 10 for customer support!
Same here. They’re quite devoted to good communication with users.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #124
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
Same here. They’re quite devoted to good communication with users.
I just don't understand why communication has been so poor from OOTP. It's honestly always felt a bit abrasive from everyone who's not Jim, when they do rarely respond. Just so defensive and adversarial.

The Wolverine team does do a much better job, although I wish they would do a bit better on the football side of giving proactive updates and insights into iterations and feedback. It feels very user-led.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:31 AM   #125
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin462 View Post
I just don't understand why communication has been so poor from OOTP. It's honestly always felt a bit abrasive from everyone who's not Jim, when they do rarely respond. Just so defensive and adversarial.

The Wolverine team does do a much better job, although I wish they would do a bit better on the football side of giving proactive updates and insights into iterations and feedback. It feels very user-led.
I don't think OOTP communication issues have anything to do with FOF I just think that is how they operate their business.

They have their podcasts and their twitch streams to show game play. But they never ever communicate anything about future releases. OOTPb comes out every year and we don't get a hint about anything until 2 months before release.

I mean big AAA games that come out on a yearly cycle still release info at least 6 to 8 months ahead of time. Just at least new features, or a wishlist or some kind of idea.

I honestly think OOTP is just accustomed to operating for what it believes is it's attended audience. And its audience is certainly not your normal PC gamers. Most people that have OOTPb on the forum it's their only game. That is why there is such resentment towards Steam. They don't understand in PC gaming Steam is king. You have Steam users ho are the opposite where they don't buy games if they aren't on the Steam store. Not to mention Epic. Secondary audiecen is sports fans and daily fantasy gamblers a la Perfect Team and point packs $$$.

If OOTP's core audience were PC gamers they be throwing a fit with the lack of information that gets released each year before OOTPb is released. I know myself being a PC gamer when I come to OOTP is feels completely foreign I don't know any other Indy dev studio that communicates this way.

Again just look the lack of content creators playing OOTPb online. Without that the game can never jump to the next level of development in the modern gaming world.

Ask Paradox how goes Imperator: Rome. Absolutely no one streams this on any service Youtube, Twitch, Mixer and so its daily Steam players are lower then Paradox games that are 10+ years old.Victoria 2 has more steam daily players. It also still gets streamers. While Rome is dead.

Maybe OOTP thinks Perfect Team can conquer the mobile platform. There are certainly enough daily fantasy gamblers to get onboard but they typically aren't your PC users. But if its on the mobile like all their other fantasy and gambling apps then OOTP has a chance to get in big with that crowd.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #126
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Sitting here thinking and although the communication is weak I got to wondering about a possible release schedule. The baseball game comes out annually somewhat aligned with spring training, give or take. I am not sure if FHM has a consistent annual release or not. Maybe there is an underlying plan that FOF, like Madden, would be released in a similar fashion annually around the NFL pre-season. Seems that it could facilitate the use of "resources" having a somewhat fixed release schedule to bounce them between releases.

Just thinking!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #127
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Sitting here thinking and although the communication is weak I got to wondering about a possible release schedule. The baseball game comes out annually somewhat aligned with spring training, give or take. I am not sure if FHM has a consistent annual release or not. Maybe there is an underlying plan that FOF, like Madden, would be released in a similar fashion annually around the NFL pre-season. Seems that it could facilitate the use of "resources" having a somewhat fixed release schedule to bounce them between releases.

Just thinking!
It's now June. I would think marketing, and Jim, would let us know if they were shooting for a 2020 release. At least, I would hope so.

The project, IMHO, has 'gone cold'. There is no will on the part of OOTP management to really finish this in anything near a timely manner. I doubt that we'll ever see OOTP release this game. Maybe Jim can get somebody else to do a GUI. Thank goodness we have FOF8.

Very disappointed in Markus and his group.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #128
Zeppelin462
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's now June. I would think marketing, and Jim, would let us know if they were shooting for a 2020 release. At least, I would hope so.

The project, IMHO, has 'gone cold'. There is no will on the part of OOTP management to really finish this in anything near a timely manner. I doubt that we'll ever see OOTP release this game. Maybe Jim can get somebody else to do a GUI. Thank goodness we have FOF8.

Very disappointed in Markus and his group.
Yeah, I feel like we've speculated about a release timeline every single year and been disappointed every single year. Feels like a fool's errand at this point.

If only we could get Sports Interactive in for an american football sim. I've been picking up Football Manager 2020 a lot recently and deep management plus on-field play is just so wonderful, and something lacking in current football sims. Draft Day gives it a go, but I can just never get into circles moving around a football field (although I love that they've put the effort in).
Old 06-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #129
Vegas Vic
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The project, IMHO, has 'gone cold'. There is no will on the part of OOTP management to really finish this in anything near a timely manner. I doubt that we'll ever see OOTP release this game.

Until we hear something definitive from Jim and/or Markus that this project is scrapped, I assume it's still in the works. Of course, if we don't see any movement in the next two or three years, I'd start getting concerned.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #130
jackstunt
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Until we hear something definitive from Jim and/or Markus that this project is scrapped, I assume it's still in the works. Of course, if we don't see any movement in the next two or three years, I'd start getting concerned.
The game from what I understand just needs a new interface. I do not think it takes 2-3 years to do an interface.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #131
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

ps its been about 2.5 years since the original announcement.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #132
Scipio Africanus
Major Leagues

First, the company would have to care about the game enough to create a user interface. There's no evidence OOTP does.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #133
james17
All Star Starter

Yes. There's really been no evidence that OOTP is really committed to an investment of resources.

Last edited by james17; 06-09-2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #134
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

This is exactly what I was talking about a while ago, Jim, when I encouraged you to come on periodically to just let people know how everything is going.

People don't even need details (though those are great when you have them). Just the fact that you're coming on and saying, "Yup. Everything is still chugging along!" is enough.

The OOTP community has had so much discouraging football news that even the status quo is encouraging to us

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Old 06-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #135
redfox000
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstunt View Post
The game from what I understand just needs a new interface. I do not think it takes 2-3 years to do an interface.
To be fair, there might be a lot of back end code that needs updating or adding to in order to be able to work with the new interface.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #136
nbryant
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox000 View Post
To be fair, there might be a lot of back end code that needs updating or adding to in order to be able to work with the new interface.
Go back to an earlier post by Jim, he implies that the coding is all but done.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #137
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbryant View Post
Go back to an earlier post by Jim, he implies that the coding is all but done.
Yep.