Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-26-2024, 10:26 PM   #1381
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Trade News!

I just couldn't help myself! I had to do it! I had to make a trade!

It's a pretty big one too, as I added a former Cougar draft pick and a longtime target of mine. That would be Hal Wood and Jim Morrison, as I made one last effort to get us over the hump. It really hurts, but I had to part with Zane Kelley, who should slot right into the Wolves rotation after the trade. He'll be joined by Ducky Cole, which makes room for Wood on the active roster, while prospects George Carter and Mike Emerson make their way to the Wolves as well. I didn't like parting with young pitchers, but this will make room for some of our draftees, and I just couldn't stand pat and watch us wither off in the second half.

If we wither, it's going to be after pushing more chips in! That's the only way I know!

Wood, who just turned 36 in June, was the 8th Pick of the 1935 Draft, and he began his professional career with us. All 1,228 of his previous games came in Toronto, but he spent four seasons in our system and made his way up to AAA. He was ranked as high as 38 on the prospect list, and right as he was about to make his Cougar debut, he brought in our current ace Donnie Jones.

No matter how you look at that deal now, it was an instant success for the Wolves, as Wood and Juan Pomales both had roles on the 1940 Wolves team that won their first title since 1911. Wood himself wasn't great, hitting .248/.311/.349 (83 OPS+) in 346 trips to the plate, but at 27 in 1942, Wood started a rather impressive streak. The infielder hit .389/.341/.405 (121 OPS+) with 16 doubles, 3 triples, 4 homers, and 36 RBIs. He also produced a 115 WRC+, the first of six consecutive seasons with an above average mark. 1950 would make seven, and the 4-Time All Star is slashing .332/.408/.448 (121 OPS+) with 22 doubles, 4 triples, 3 homers, and 41 RBIs. He has drawn 40 walks to just 21 strikeouts, and his 140 WRC+ would be a career best. He's still held his own defensively at third base (0.4, .984), and he'll join Chubby Hall as former Cougar draftees who were traded before debuting just to return years later.

Prior to the trade, Hall has had a very successful FABL career, batting .298/.365/.395 (114 OPS+) with 214 doubles, 31 triples, 37 homers, and 519 RBIs. Never known for much power, what he brings instead is a lot of line drives and very few strike outs. His 4.6 K% in 4,520 plate appearances is truly inspiring, and only Eddie Howard (4.0%) has a lower mark on the season. This year Wood's is a bit higher, but 5.5 is a comfortable 4th. He will give a lot of good, tough at bats, and our lineup should benefit greatly from his addition.

The other addition is a pitcher I really wanted in the 1936 draft. Rightfully, I took Peter the Heater with the 6th pick, but when pick 22 came (eventually Newt Jackson), I was really hoping Morrison would be available.

Instead, he went 16th to the Wolves, where he spent every moment of his FABL career until today. It took him just a bit over a year to debut, as he made 25 appearances (22 starts) as a 23-year-old in 1938. He was 11-10, but his 4.70 ERA (84 ERA+) was much higher then his 4.12 FIP (103 FIP-). It took him a few seasons to get settled in, but unfortunately for the southpaw, he was one of the first calls to the military. Morrison enlisted in the Army after the 1941 season, spending the next four years away from baseball.

When he returned, it took him a while to get acclimated to pitching again, but things changed in the 1948 season. 33 that year, Morrison threw his first 200 inning season, going 9-10 with a 3.15 ERA (124 ERA+) and 1.31 WHIP. He struck out 81 with 71 walks in his 29 starts, and was worth an impressive 4.9 wins above replacement. He matched that in 1949, where he went a much better 16-8 and earned his first and so far only All Star selection. Morrison finished with a similar 3.38 ERA (120 ERA+) and identical 1.31 WHIP, this time walking 95 while striking out 91 in 240 innings pitched.

35 this May, Morrison is on his way to a third productive season, as despite his 5-9 record, he has a 3.71 ERA (111 ERA+) and 1.56 WHIP. In a move that may have seen absurd at the start of the season, George Oddo will actually be optioned to Milwaukee, as Morrison will take the fifth spot in the rotation. It pains me to say this, but Oddo has been dreadful, as after just 4 homers in his first 11 starts, he's allowed two in six of his last seven.

No, not two total. Two. Per. Game.

I don't know what's wrong, but we can't let this continue, and Morrison gives us a short term stopgap and future depth. Oddo has just one option left, but unless something crazy happens he'll return to the rotation in the 1951 season. It's still his job to lose, but I can't keep watching him struggle in our pennant race, and Morison should be able to give us quality starts. He's never had many home run issues, and two of his six allowed this season came against us. One even came this week, as Sal Pestilli took him deep in the 7th for the only earned run he allowed (three unearned) in his loss. Injuries aside, Morrison finishes the season in our rotation and Otto in Milwaukee, and it is sure to be one of the most interesting storylines to watch next spring.

Especially if we fall short again...

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 03-27-2024 at 02:52 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM   #1382
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 16: July 31st-August 6th

Weekly Record: 3-3
Seasonal Record: 54-50 (4th, 5 GB)
Stars of the Week
Donnie Jones : 2 Wins, 18.0 IP, 2 BB, 11 K, 1.00 ERA
Charlie Woodbury : 16 AB, 6 H, 1 HR, 2 RBI, .375 AVG, 1.125 OPS
Skipper Schneider : 22 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .318 AVG, .809 OPS

Schedule
8-1: Win vs Sailors (10-0)
8-2: Win vs Sailors (9-1)
8-3: Loss vs Sailors (8-2)
8-4: Loss vs Foresters (5-4)
8-5: Loss vs Foresters (3-2)
8-6: Win vs Foresters (2-3)

Recap
5 games. Two months. That seems doable, right???

Now past the trade deadline, as teams will be limited to their organizational depth for any new additions to the active roster. There's always free agency and waivers, but the players offered there aren't often difference makers. Any major injury could have huge repercussions, but after our latest additions, I'm more confident then ever in our depth.

Despite seeing his brains bashed in two more times in Toronto (trade wasn't processed correctly so he was edited over after the week after allowing 18 hits, 13 runs, and 5 walks in 13.2 innings...), Max Wilder wants Jim Morrison third in the rotation. That doesn't really matter too much, as he won't pitch until later in the week, and right now we just go Donnie Jones and Pete Papenfus as much as their arms allow us. Donnie was just as brilliant as always, beating the Sailors and Foresters in front of his home fans. More people saw the Sunday win where he allowed 5 hits, 2 runs, and 2 walks in a 6-strikeout complete game, improving him to 12-9 on the season. The more impressive start came to start our week, as Jones allowed three hits and no walks in a 5-strikeout shutout as we obliterated the Sailors 10-0. Johnnie followed him with a similar gem, 6 hits, 3 walks, and just one run with 5 strikeouts in a 9-1 victory. That earned him his 10th win in 18 starts, and with just five losses he's got the best win percentage (667) in the rotation. His 3.40 ERA (118 ERA+) is pretty solid, but he's walking (85, 13.3) way more batters then he's striking out (64, 10.4). That always worries me, but since he does a great job keeping the ball in the mark, he can usually get a right to ground out to Skipper, who gets you out of any jam.

As good as the start of our week us, we quickly gave up momentum, as Duke Bybee was hit hard (5 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 2 K) and we dropped two one-run games to the Foresters. David Molina did his job in both, getting scoreless top of the 9th, but the offense seemed to run out of runs. Charlie Woodbury was really the only one who hit the whole week, going 6-for-16 with a double, homer, 4 walks, 4 runs, and 2 RBIs. He doesn't have to worry about the Hal Wood acquisition if he can keep hitting, as Woodbury is providing the offensive spark we need. Only Skipper () really helped him, but John Moss basically won us Johnnie Jones' start, as his grand slam off Sailors ace Win Lewis (6-9, 3.63, 80) in the first made it 5-0 and allowed our southpaw to really relax and focus on getting outs. Moss' .230/.329/.303 (70 OPS+) line has really hurt. It was his last hit of the week, though he did draw three walks, so it appears to not be the spark he needed to wake up.

Looking Ahead
Off again to start the week, but we'll welcome the New York Stars to town for two games to finish our homestand. This could determine first place in the CA, as they're a game behind the Saints. This is all while Vern Hubbard (8-10, 5.43, 51) has been terrible, Bill Barrett (.317, 12, 64) isn't homering, and Ed Cornett (10-4, 3.01, 57) being unironically the clear top performer on the staff. If he somehow redeems the Larry Gregory (.284, 11, 76) trade, as the Pioneers can thank the Stars for a good portion of their back-to-back titles. Even Cornett's 3.46 FIP (85 FIP-) thinks he deserves respect, as it's better then Pap's (3.70, 92) and all the other non-Donnie Jones rotation members. We're stuck facing the guy too, and he may know about my feelings for him, so he could be out to really dominate. He's coming off a 10 hit, 8 run clunker in New York against the Foresters, and we are responsible for his third loss. He's likely followed by ace Eli Panneton (13-9, 4.10, 76), who's well onto his way for another 250 inning season. And with it being in Chicago, Barrett, Bill Barnett (.287, 25, 72), Mack Sutton (.266, 25, 84), and Jack Welch (.269, 21, 63) are all going to homer, but the real gut punch is going to be when Elijah Bourdeau (.259, 2) caps off the sweep with his first homer of the season.

I'm counting on it!

If we survive New York, we won't get past the Kings, as we have to go there of four. I don't care that they went 11-18 in July and are now 51-54, that's just because they didn't play us. We are their Wolves, as they've won eight of the ten matchups so far. Leading their rotation right now is old friend Ron Berry (12-8, 3.87, 98), who would have been in AAA had I not traded him. He's earned it, leading the team in wins while his ERA is now a point higher then Joe Potts (5-11, 3.86, 70), who not only has poor record luck, but also FIP luck (3.27, 79), as he's been quite impressive in a majority of his starts. They're a weird team to pin down right now, as they both score and give up a lot of runs, so you never quite know what you are going to get. Ralph Johnson (.320, 13, 64) can change the game with a swing, and they have a lot of young talent in the lineup that can get on base and drive in runs. One guy in particular that has been helpful is catcher Dan Smith (.279, 12, 49), who like Larry McClure, is hitting good for anyone. His 122 WRC+ is second on the squad, and at 24 he could be a fixture here in the Big Apple. This will be a huge test for us as the games really start mattering, and I'm quite worried we're not going to be up to the task.

No minor league report, but as I somewhat expected Elmer Grace won Player of the Month in the Century League. The switch hitter slashed .378/.435/.673 (202 OPS+) in July with 4 doubles, 2 triples, 7 homers, and 20 RBIs.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #1383
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 17: August 7th-August 13th

Weekly Record: 3-3
Seasonal Record: 57-53 (4th, 5 GB)
Stars of the Week
Sal Pestilli : 24 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .375 AVG, .819 OPS
Leo Mitchell : 21 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .381 AVG, .810 OPS
Hal Wood : 22 AB, 6 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, .273 AVG, .652 OPS

Schedule
8-8: Win vs Stars (2-3)
8-9: Win vs Stars (1-2): 12 innings
8-10: Loss at Kings (2-3)
8-11: Win at Kings (3-2)
8-12: Loss at Kings (4-9)
8-13: Loss at Kings (0-2)

Recap
You would not believe it! We swept the Stars!

But then what you would believe is that the Kings took three of four from us...

What stung worst was the finale, as Ron Berry didn't walk anyone in a 5-strikeout shutout. Lucky for us, the Stars got revenge on the Saints, so we're still one of the four teams with five games of first place. The Stars (64-52) and Cannons (60-49) are much close to the Saints (63-49), but we do have a chance to make an impact this week.

Peter the Heater gave his best efforts, but he wasn't rewarded with a win either time. He allowed just one run in 11 innings against the Stars. It came with 6 hits, 5 strikeouts, and just 1 walk, but we couldn't give him the support needed until after David Molina (IP H, BB, 2 K) entered the game, and new/old Cougar Hal Wood made himself welcomed with a walk-off double. Pap was then the unlucky starter who faced Ron Berry, as he allowed 6 hits, 2 runs, and 4 walks with 4 strikeouts in 8 strong innings. He's now in triple digits for strikeouts, as his 105 punchouts are just one away from Berry himself for second. He's lost his last two decisions, but his 10-8 record and 3.10 ERA (128 ERA+) are quite impressive.

The Jones Brothers had much better luck, as they won their starts. Johnnie went the distance, allowing 8 hits, 2 runs, and 4 walks with 3 strikeouts in our 3-2 win over the Stars. Donnie's victory came in Brooklyn, where he was the only one to best the Kings. Donnie won his fourth straight start, but he got help in the ninth. Donnie left after eight, allowing 7 hits, 2 runs, and 4 walks with 6 strikeouts. He's now 13-9 with a 2.74 ERA (145 ERA+) and 1.08 WHIP, striking out 103 in 200.2 innings pitched. He's launched a serious campaign for his second Allen, leading the CA in WHIP while ranking top five in ERA (2nd), wins (t-2nd), innings (3rd), K/BB (4th, 1.7), and quality starts (t-2nd, 17). He then let David Molina finish things off with a perfect ninth to pick up his 13th save. Aside from a rough debut from Jim Morrison (3.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, 3 ER, 2 BB), our pitchers did well in the losses, and the offense just wasn't consistent enough to get the job done.

Just two of the bats produced a WRC+ above 100, with Sal Pestilli leading the way for a change. He was 9-for-24 with a steal, 3 walks, and 4 runs, but all nine of hits were singles. I'm not sure where his power went, as he has his twenty homers fewer this year compared to last. I'm not sure what's wrong there, but unless he just saved them all for the end of the season, it's a big reason we haven't done much in the standings. Leo Mitchell did manage to improve his average a bit, going 8-for-21 with a double and 3 RBIs. He's hitting .342/.394/.493 (138 OPS+) with 13 homers and 58 RBIs, leading the association in average, OPS+, and wOBA (.407). If he can lead us to a pennant, I think he'll get legitimate Whitney consideration, and we'll need out longtime star to finish the year strong.

Looking Ahead
There's no sugarcoating it. This is the week that determines are season. Off to start, but then it's three in Montreal with the Saints, before three in Chicago with the Kings. A poor showing here pretty much clinches it, as we're still just barely hanging on over .500. I'm starting to get nervous, as even .500 could make things tough. The Stars or Cannons could jump right past the Saints, leaving us and the rest in the dust. The draft pick deadline also snuck up on me, so hopefully the last few guys I want are able to sign. I don't think it matters too much, but there's a few players available who still have futures with us.