Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - Online Leagues

OOTP 17 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 17 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
leftygl8604
Minors (Rookie Ball)

New type of league...

Hi all -

So I am not a newbie, have played OOTP for years. Just have not been on the forums for years ( posting ) rather just watching .. And I couldn't remember my email I signed up with..

Anyway, I ran a league way back in the day and I am really thinking about starting a new league running on 17..I am a backend development person and front end design so I am wanting to make a custom, creative, cool, interactive different kind of site. A real feeling and look that you are part of an amazing league. With that being said, since I started with OOTP while I understand the team is yours as a GM etc, too many league by the second week of the season, all of the Pirates are now on the Dodgers and all of the Yankees are now on the Marlins. I HATE that..It feels "unrealistic" if that makes sense. When I had my league I lost the passion for it because of this..

Is there a want for a league where teams don't trade away all of their starters in the first week of the season but rather make smart minded business decisions based on team needs? I've seen it happen hundreds of times where "GM'S" will be hired, trade away the whole team and then quit. Hey I really like AROD so I am going to trade away Heyward, ben, jake just to get him..Even though he is going to retire after the season..I don't want to stop GM's being creative and running their team so that has been my pickle for years...

I want to start a new type of league with limited transactions. I just could never put my finger on how to successfully do that..I am looking for some guys who have been around OOTP for a while to form some sort League office. I am telling you the site and what I have built will blow you AWAY!

Please reply with thoughts or PM me if interested. I want a successful, realistic, thinking league. Not a trade away everyone in a week league. That is what is stopping me from launching this thing.. Or maybe there is no need/want for this..Just seeing

Thanks...
Garrett

Last edited by leftygl8604; 04-02-2016 at 08:33 PM.
leftygl8604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

i like a rule that prevents a new GM for trading for a full season. that prevents the hit+run guys. though i dont know if its feasible when you are starting a brand new league
Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
leftygl8604
Minors (Rookie Ball)

True..Some thoughts of mine have been -

Forming a trade committee/approval team.. But then "cheating" could be said potentially if a trade does not go through.

A sim month trade limit...Still let's you trade but your trades have to be smart. Just not to get your favorite players..

I know the limit may scare people but again it is to only enforce smart and good decision trading instead of just doing it because you are bored or want your favorite player..
Old 04-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

i would think that ANY league has a commish that will veto any trade that is incredibly lopsided.

i have only experienced a tradecommittee once. and it backfired as the members started vetoeing eachothers trades.

unless a trade is REALLY REALLY bad (and most ppl agree on that fact), your perception of what is smart/good might be simply different
Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
leftygl8604
Minors (Rookie Ball)

true!

I think some sort of trade "limit" per sim month would be the way to go. So a team does not make 16 trades in a sim month like I have seen before.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygl8604 View Post
true!

I think some sort of trade "limit" per sim month would be the way to go. So a team does not make 16 trades in a sim month like I have seen before.
i have not seen anyone doing 16 seperate trade in a season, let alone a month.
unless they are bad trades, then why shouldnt he be able to improve his team by using his wits?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
leftygl8604
Minors (Rookie Ball)

not against anyone making trades while trying to improve their team. Not looking to critique their trades but rather the hit and run of trading away whole teams and then the person quitting..
Old 04-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
hjrrockies
Minors (Single A)

I think a year-long no-trade policy for new GMs would scare off almost everyone.

However, allowing the league to vote down obviously bad trades seems like a good safeguard. If a GM sees a bad trade, he can call for a league vote. Not all trades are voted on, just the ones that a GM opposes.
hjrrockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Just have a 1 trade per month house rule.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Stats-only will really limit trading. Everyone is too afraid of making a bad trade due to the fog of not knowing player ratings, so trades are rare. At least in my experience.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
Papacek
Bat Boy

I like this idea and would be interested in joining. Dozens of trades per year by a single team kind of bothers me, too. I'm up for trade limits, either an annual number or per SIM.

Eric
Papacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
cgml28
Bat Boy

I am interested also, would it be a fast moving league or a slow one?
cgml28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #13
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

pretty simple solution, just don't let anyone under 30 years old into your league

This has long been a pet peeve of mine, The problem as I see it is way too many people, Especially younger people (and I defined "Younger' in my opening remarks) Confuse trading with activity. I would much rather be in a league with a group of GM's who run their team realistically and with purpose than with a bunch of people who write stories, are involved in chat rooms, posting on the forum all the time etc.... Trading should be a necessary evil, not a recreational activity imho

In general, The younger crowd gets into an online league to enhance their social life, the older crowd plays OOTP because they love it, but they actually have a life to live outside the game. So they get the files, check them out export and get on with their day. Trades are an afterthought, they are based on need,not "being active"

I run a league with very little turn over that's at the WS 1990 (Started in 1975) and there was a grand total of 6 Trades made last season that involved 17 players. 80% of my GM's are over 30 yr old and 16 are the original GM's (26 team League) So in 16 Seasons covering 2 years and 2 months real time, we've turned over only 10 teams and only had 101 Trades in 16 seasons (a little over 6 per year). Maturity of the GM base has everything to do with how many trades happen in a league

Please note: Nothing was said to offend anyone, there are always exceptions to the rule, but this is based on my experience over scores if not hundreds of online league seasons in many different leagues over several real years
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 04-06-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #14
vegaspomeranians
Minors (Double A)

I've found that usually when a new league starts up there will be a lot of trades initially as people want to shape their team to their plan. Someone might buy a lot of top veterans to make a title run in the first year or someone might think long term and sell off as many vets as possible for prospects. I'm not opposed to lots of trading. I'm just opposed to stupid trades. The trade deadline usually has a ton of trades too. I usually like to stand pat and only trade when I feel that I am getting better value. I've seen guys make a lot of trades and backfire on them and also seen guys make a lot of trades and win it all.

I'd be interested in joining. As for the trade problem that's a tough one. If you get smart GMs it'll be fine. Some guys trade a lot and do well. Not everyone sabotages teams by gutting a team like Loria. Sometimes it's ok to be like the braves and trade as many mlb level assets to get as many top prospects as possible and to lower payroll so they can make several splash FA signings when all of their prospects are mlb ready. You have to hope that those owners stick around to see their plan through.

Last edited by vegaspomeranians; 04-07-2016 at 02:49 AM.
vegaspomeranians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #15
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

Turn off stars/20-80 overall ratings... So many times I see a GM make a trade based solely on those ratings and it's just not a good deal or good thinking.

Force a GM to actually look at his players and their ratings/stats and you'll get a group of careful GMs who will always lean on the side of caution when making a trade so they don't mess up.

Now, you will still have a couple guys who simply trade to trade...
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #16
stevem810
All Star Starter

I'd recommend that you not have rules regarding the trade activity. Instead, articulate the type of league you want in terms of reduced trading and anything else. Make it clear, up front, and potential GM's who like to trade a lot will most likely pass you by.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #17
mavericktango
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
i have not seen anyone doing 16 seperate trade in a season, let alone a month.
unless they are bad trades, then why shouldnt he be able to improve his team by using his wits?
I've seen double figure trades by the same team many times. Some poor players get three or four tades as makeweights in the opening weeks lol
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
GM in Training
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincoop17 View Post
Turn off stars/20-80 overall ratings... So many times I see a GM make a trade based solely on those ratings and it's just not a good deal or good thinking.

Force a GM to actually look at his players and their ratings/stats and you'll get a group of careful GMs who will always lean on the side of caution when making a trade so they don't mess up.

I hate when players use multiple accounts to cheat in a league. Ring a bell?
GM in Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #19
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincoop17 View Post

Okay, let me ask you a question.

With scouts off and a 1-100 or 20-8 scale, why would a GM NOT look solely at ratings?
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballonly View Post
Okay, let me ask you a question.

With scouts off and a 1-100 or 20-8 scale, why would a GM NOT look solely at ratings?
With scouts off, obviously there's a difference since those are the actual ratings.

With scouts on, there's that "fog of war" that you try to get rid of by looking at their numbers too.

I'm only referring to a players' overall ratings too, which IMO aren't perfect.
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote