Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Twax
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Force start at position not working

Hey guys,

I'm in spring training and would like Whit Merrifield to learn the 1B position. I went in "set game strategy" and forced him at 1B.. But it's not working. Well, it's working but only for the non DH line ups..

Here's a screen shot of my line ups :

Could it be because my coach has a yellow dot beside the line up selection setting in his profile ? But then why does he let me force start players in the non DH line ups ? Doesn't make much sense.

Edit : Alright I did some more tests and came to the conclusion that it doesn't work only for the 1B position. If I force start Merrifield at another position like LF or SS then it works. Also, there's a few other players that I can't force start at 1B as well, and some I can I'm not sure why. I've also noticed that if I force start Merrifield at 1B while I also force start another player at another position then it will work for both.. Is this a bug ?

Thanks.

Last edited by Twax; 04-22-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Twax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it might be due to spring training. the ai kinda does it's own thing during that time period, even with your teams.

e.g. pitch counts are 100% ignored. they have ST pitch counts in effect (~60-ish pitches, 4IP for SP etc)

Although, what you descrive seem wrong. it'd make it difficult to cross-train positions in ST, which is elevated learning speed during this time... i just don't pay attention much in ST. it could be normal too.

make sure depth charts are set for both. look into any other potential causes, then post in bugs... this may be unintentional.

i think a red dot would be a problem from a manager, but could be wrong. you can change his personality and see if that is the cause before posting in bugs. (just to test... if not challenge mode, of course)

also, if used as a ph or replacement mid-game might not adhere to a 'forced' role?

Last edited by NoOne; 04-22-2019 at 11:15 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
Twax
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
it might be due to spring training. the ai kinda does it's own thing during that time period, even with your teams.

e.g. pitch counts are 100% ignored. they have ST pitch counts in effect (~60-ish pitches, 4IP for SP etc)

Although, what you descrive seem wrong. it'd make it difficult to cross-train positions in ST, which is elevated learning speed during this time... i just don't pay attention much in ST. it could be normal too.

make sure depth charts are set for both. look into any other potential causes, then post in bugs... this may be unintentional.

i think a red dot would be a problem from a manager, but could be wrong. you can change his personality and see if that is the cause before posting in bugs. (just to test... if not challenge mode, of course)

also, if used as a ph or replacement mid-game might not adhere to a 'forced' role?
I edited the OP but yeah it's weird is has to be a bug I think.

I've found a way around it for now, which is to force start Lopez at 2B where he usually play anyway. Not sure why but doing that has "fixed" the problem and Merrifield is now starting at 1B.

Thank you for your answer !!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

One thing to look at is that in the game strategy, your coach may not actually let you "force" the start, but instead only takes "suggestions" at positions. It's possible that may be happening here.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

The time of year shouldn't be a problem, ie spring training. Force start has always worked as it's supposed to for me, regardless of time of year.

Sounds like management control. Do you have GM, Asst GM, and manager? Who is in charge of lineups on your manager page?

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-23-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #6
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Which only began in the last version or two, and is really irritating.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
Which only began in the last version or two, and is really irritating.
Uh oh - I gotta start watching ST closer. Hadn't heard of this bug.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's mostly a good thing... for those of us that don't want to put much effort into ST.

the only thing i actively do is ensure my RP get ~20ip. on occasion i do force start players, but i usually have them cross-trained during MiL years.

i try to have my bench covering 2 positions each (~4-5 players). maybe 1-2 extra pitchers. ~30players or so. i often have to send down a relief pitcher or 2 to get the innings in near end of camp. if i have some high-end prospects i try to have them backing up ~3 positions, if they can do it. just about anyone can do 1b/dh, for example. a lot easier when it's a ss or cf, of course.

i find i don't have to micromanage much except for shifting roles of RP a bit to even out IP.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

FYI there shouldn't be any different in spring training. If the player strategy screen says "force start at position X", then they should start at that position. But as mentioned, new this year is that if your coach's reputation is high enough, they'll still let you set a strategy, but they may not always follow it.

Or there may be a bug in there somewhere. But let's check the non-bug cases first, and if we still can't figure it out, please do send in your league files to us and we can check. There may be some rare case at the bottom of our depth chart logic where we forget to check for the force position before doing a swap.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I had noticed something similar in my game but it was in the minors. Had a guy set to "force start" at first but he was getting games at DH instead. When I did release the old veteran 1B who was getting the playing time, the AI did revert to putting my guy at first but its possible that may have happened without the force start once the other option was released.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Twax
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
FYI there shouldn't be any different in spring training. If the player strategy screen says "force start at position X", then they should start at that position. But as mentioned, new this year is that if your coach's reputation is high enough, they'll still let you set a strategy, but they may not always follow it.

Or there may be a bug in there somewhere. But let's check the non-bug cases first, and if we still can't figure it out, please do send in your league files to us and we can check. There may be some rare case at the bottom of our depth chart logic where we forget to check for the force position before doing a swap.
Like I said, I found a way around it by force starting another player at 2B, where he was already playing anyway. Not sure why but doing that let Merrifield start at 1B like I want to.

Something else I've noticed is that I have J. Junis listed in my starting pitchers with a (fo) beside his name. I assume this is because he'll be used in a role of follower. The problem is that's he simply doesn't enter the game. For the second time when it's turn in the rotation, an opener is starting the game and then the bullpen take care of the rest without Junis seeing any action. Not really ideal when you want to take the rust off during spring training as he will finish without a single IP..

Thank you.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

twax, you may have told them something they want to "fix"

may have ruined your workaround in future, lol.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
Twax
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
twax, you may have told them something they want to "fix"

may have ruined your workaround in future, lol.
Damn you're right maybe I shouldn't have told them about that hahah.

I'll just this part of my last post so it doesn't get lost :

Quote:
Something else I've noticed is that I have J. Junis listed in my starting pitchers with a (fo) beside his name. I assume this is because he'll be used in a role of follower. The problem is that's he simply doesn't enter the game. For the second time when it's turn in the rotation, an opener is starting the game and then the bullpen take care of the rest without Junis seeing any action. Not really ideal when you want to take the rust off during spring training as he will finish without a single IP..
Old 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #14
Nersha
Minors (Double A)

Still not working

Have had several people report to me in my league that force start any any position is still not working.
Nersha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #15
x McLovin x
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I had noticed something similar in my game but it was in the minors. Had a guy set to "force start" at first but he was getting games at DH instead. When I did release the old veteran 1B who was getting the playing time, the AI did revert to putting my guy at first but its possible that may have happened without the force start once the other option was released.
I'm also noticing this in the minors in my save.
x McLovin x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
Arobbins
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
it might be due to spring training.
yup. they don't play many games anyways so it shouldn't hinder training much if at all

Arobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 AM   #17
raiderbr
Bat Boy

Click on the manager for the team you are having trouble. Look under managing attributes, Lineup and Pitching Staff. Some managers will say they maintain full control, in which case you can't force start a player or pitcher.
raiderbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arobbins View Post
yup. they don't play many games anyways so it shouldn't hinder training much if at all
The thing about spring training is, if memory serves you get a much larger chance to have your "knowledge" ratings to go up at a position when a guy appears in a game there in Spring Training compared to the regular season. Also, of course, the games don't matter so you can live with that 1B with a fielding average of .950 in March if it means he'll be normal-ish by April.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Uh oh - I gotta start watching ST closer. Hadn't heard of this bug.
Not sure what they're talking about. I have no issues with spring training. Any settings regarding lineups I make always work.

EDIT: On second thought, I use 7-day lineups, so that may "override" the bug they're talking about since force start wouldn't matter.

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 05-23-2019 at 02:52 PM.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

One other thing that wasn't mentioned to keep an eye on is if another player is also forced to start at that position. I will force my better prospects to start at a certain position in the minors, but as they progress through the system, sometimes two guys at the same position wind up on the same team or in the majors together, and the AI won't handle that well for obvious reasons.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote