Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 PM   #41
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Like I said BS from anti DH types shows the paucity of their argument. Just quit with the whining and bitching already.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #42
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post

All I've done was state my opinion. You and your buddy want to start a war.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #43
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I'm not a fan of the DH. When it comes to OOTP, I usually end up turning it off (especially if I play as a GM) because the AI has no clue on how to deal with it.

An example... A team has a (starting) DH that is also pretty good at 1B/3B. The backup DH is a good hitting catcher. It has a backup infielder that plays 2B/SS. He's the worst hitter on the team. short and poor arm. This backup infielder will end up playing 3B and sometimes 1B (if the AI does stick the backup catcher there). The DH will very seldom ever see the field and the backup catcher will seldom be the DH. What the AI doesn't seem to understand is depth charts. A player CAN BE the backup corner infielder AND the starting DH. I can almost predict an injury at 1B and/or 3B because there is no backup per the depth chart (until the backup IF plays those positions once).

At first I found myself making changes to the 25 man roster until my 'elite' manager did something that made sense. Then I found myself setting the lineup, but that isn't realistic. Eventually, I'd just turn off the DH.

Last edited by NotMuchTime; 03-17-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #44
prisonerno6
Major Leagues

Quote:
One of the Greatest Movies of All-Time!!

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #45
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd View Post
So that means you can't use your closer in the bottom of the 9th, up by one run, because he won't get an at bat. You will have to keep your reliever in until he gets an at-bat. Which might mean 3 innings if you go 1-2-3 until his spot comes up again.. You can't remove the pinch runner because he hasn't gotten an at-bat, and he has to replace the batter he ran for in the field. That pinch hitter who you had bat for your pitcher has to take the field now. Ok one batter has hit for the oppostition. You can replace him now. Just make sure the guy you replace him with has been to bat or will be before the game ends, otherwise you can't use him.

Should I keep going or do you see how dumb that rule would be yet??

And not using a DH makes the NL a league that starts the game with one more player available to the manager. I don't like it.
Are you really going to try to twist what I said into that kinda crap? I'm pretty sure anyone with an ounce of common sense knows what my statement meant. If a player plays the field, he also takes a slot in the batting order. But that was a valiant effort to "Spin" what I said into something it wasn't

I have voiced my opinion, you are in no way required to agree with it
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #46
tedstriker
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Like I said BS from anti DH types shows the paucity of their argument. Just quit with the whining and bitching already.
There is BS on both sides here.

It is also worth noting that there isn't an objective argument for either case. Doing so would require everyone to agree on some metric for optimization, which isn't going to happen.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #47
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
All I've done was state my opinion.
And your opinion, insofar as it attempted to state facts, was demonstrated to be incorrect based on actual data.

Quote:
You and your buddy want to start a war.
"There are no good wars, with the following three exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars trilogy."
Old 03-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #48
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says no foreseeable change to designated hitter rule coming

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Old 03-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #49
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Yes Theory (OP), the DH rule is a can of worms as you can see here. Why did you even put a question mark beside worms?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 PM   #50
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

For the life of me, I guess I'll never understand why the whole DH/No-DH argument can generate so much hostility and stubbornness around it.

Seriously, if they put the DH in the National League, it would not take very long at all to get used to it, and then not even really notice it. If they removed the DH from the AL, it would not take very long at all to get used to it, and then not even really notice it.

The game play really doesn't change that much between the two.

Then again, maybe I'm the one who is wrong. Maybe seeing my team play this way for 15 years or so each way clouds my judgement.

I just don't get why it needs to be such a battle. lol
Old 03-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
"There are no good wars, with the following three exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars trilogy."
The Russian Civil War, the Russo-Turkish War, the Arab-Israeli Wars, and the Korean War all come to mind.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #52
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

and H.G. Wells - War Of The Worlds .....
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #53
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Clone Wars

Old 03-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #54
Masson26
Minors (Single A)

i despise the DH rule so generally I leave it as AL only but if i choose to control an AL teams which i rarely do, then i eliminate it from both.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #55
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

I've actually come to appreciate and enjoy the DH through the years. I'm not really in favor of the DH as a mode for more offense, but simply because I'd rather have players at the plate who focus a good part of their time on hitting rather than pitchers, who don't. If pitchers spent adequate time on hitting practice and had enough regular plate appearances to be somewhat profficient, I would oppose the DH. But they don't, and I'm not sure, in the modern-day game, I would want them to. Do position players have to spend any of their time practicing pitching? Just my view now as I approach the big 6 oh. Was anti-DH when it was first introduced, but have come to prefer it. When I play current MLB on OOTP, I usually add two expansion teams, morph to four divisions per league, change the playoffs to division winners and play DH in both leagues. My idea of the future of MLB.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #56
zappa1
All Star Starter

That's because it contradicts with what baseball is trying to do. That's speed up the game. Adding the DH will not help despite what some people say or think. It just won't.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #57
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

I hope NL will never get the DH

Old 03-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #58
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's because it contradicts with what baseball is trying to do. That's speed up the game. Adding the DH will not help despite what some people say or think. It just won't.
You know, when they first brought in the DH they thought it sped up the game. Take for example this early article saying games were 10 minutes faster with the DH. It was even used as an argument for the DH before they tried it (page 23, "the major reason for...").

I've seen different numbers that have shown the DH has both sped up and slowed down the game since it's been implemented, but overall it seems that most reliable numbers seem to show there is very little difference. And that's not that surprising because if you listed all the differences between the games you'd probably say about half the differences speed up the game and half slow it down. Sure, the different factors wouldn't all be equal, but they would somewhat cancel each other out.

There are cons to the DH, but I don't believe game length is one.

If you really want to speed up the game, contract the Red Sox and Yankees.

Last edited by kq76; 03-18-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #59
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It may not speed it up, but it won't slow it either (at least, not by an amount that even approaches remotely significant, unless one considers 0.6 minutes significant).
Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #60
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Yeah trying to make a point about 36 seconds really makes the case for no DH.

No, it doesn't.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Closed Thread