Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
hwy61
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I play DH on everywhere. I'm not necessarily pro DH in real life, but in the game I prefer to give another position player a full season of at bats.
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoomeyii View Post
It is a funny thing about people's debate with the DH. I find that fans of AL teams support the DH and fans of NL teams dont. Our perspectives are developed by who we watch I think.
While your hypothesis makes sense, I'm an AL guy through and through, and I still prefer no DH. (I don't HATE the DH rule, though)
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #23
DB930
Major Leagues

Long live the DH!

Seeing as how nearly every professional and high-level amateur league in the world uses it, I'll add it to any league that's post-1975 or so. Pre-1975: no DH.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #24
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Never!

Never, ever, ever. No inter-league, no night baseball at Wrigley, no three divisions.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #25
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I only play fictional, and I never use the DH. Everybody hits. Period.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
Dr.K
Major Leagues

I hate doing double switch in NL, so I love the DH.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:08 PM   #27
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

I hate the DH with a passion, as it was the dumbest rule ever devised in my lifetime up until last year's "Posey" rule (and then the talked about 20 second clock which would have ended my relationship with RL baseball forever).

However, I play with the DH in all of my leagues because, 1) it's one less "decision" the AI will mess up and 2) because a few versions ago there was a bug where pinch hitters basically hit at the same rate as the pitcher, so having the strategy there was no fun.

If that old bug is indeed fixed and if the AI is ever robust enough, I will happily turn it off in every league I ever play on OOTP.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #28
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

Living in an American League city I have mostly just seen the DH, and quite frankly it's seems old and boring to me.

Also, I like to play in manager mode and actually play out my games, there is a lot more strategy to the traditional no DH style, so I almost always change all my leagues to no DH. I tried DH many years ago in ootp and it just felt boring really fast.
Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #29
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I could live with East-West divisions because it was just functional - a long season with 12 teams in each league and so at least 8 with no shot at all was less interesting than two 6-team races (mini-leagues in a way) that could be expanded to 8.

The problem is that they did not then go to 8-team divisions, they did the horrible, horrible thing of wildcards, and now the two-round wildcard and three divisions which - I wonder if anyone has noticed is NOT an even number so they need wildcard teams to get to 4.

So to me the only logical solution would be to expand to two more teams (I mean, 15 team leagues, not 12 or 14 or 16, 15 league teams and 3-division leagues, argh!!). Then have FOUR leagues and have all teams play 154 games against the other 7 teams in their leagues, and play 8 "interleague" games - one each against the teams in ONE of the other three leagues each season (rotating each year which that would be) to get to 162.

One option is two Eastern leagues that then play a Championship series to determine the two World Series teams and another is to go with the traditional AL-NL league memberships for that round. One round of playoffs, 4 out of 7, then the World Series.

Which brings me to the DH - expansion would add 50 new players, 30 new position players more or less and so no net loss for the players' union in contract talks, making it a feasible reform. So the DH could be done away with.

Also, I would put some limitation on the use of relievers and closers - the main reason for the reduction in offense, which was temporarily if dramatically and spectacularly reversed by the steroids era. Something like, any relief pitcher taken out of a game in which their team is in the lead or tied at the time must have pitched a minimum of 2 full innings unless officially declared injured. If injured, they must miss 5 full games (though being placed on the DL is not necessary unless needed for real medical reasons), otherwise they may not be removed before getting 6 outs.

One last reform in my brief moment at baseball czar with absolute powers (bwah ha ha !): all players will from now on be officially employees Major League Baseball as of their next contracts, not of the teams they play for. The contract negotiations between MLB and the Players Union will provide for certain scales of pay and benefits and incentives and bonuses based on the same levels of performance (so much for .300 hitters, for .330 hitters, for 30 HRs, 40 HRs. 20 wins, ERAs under 3.00 and so on), so the players will not necessarily lose any overall salary. But the incentive to leave a team or be a free agent for purely monetary gain,and the unequal competitive structure based on money between teams will be eliminated (I would prefer to see the teams then be publicly owned by the cities, states or regions they represent frankly, but I am voting for Bernie Sanders for President so you know where I am coming from, but that would be down the road). So players would change teams to be with a team they got along with better, be part of a rising squad of contenders, have a shot at a pennant or just be in a city where they have relatives or whatever, but not to make an extra $30 million. This would bring a lot of fans back.

Finally, as I leave office as czar of baseball I name my successor in the traditional role of Baseball Commissioner the one person most likely to fully restore confidence in the game and its integrity, Mr. Henry Aaron.

thank you.

Was that enough of a start to the debate you wanted to get started jabrown?
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #30
JMGC
Minors (Single A)

For fictional leagues, for me it depends on whether I want that league to be pitching dominated or more offensively inclined. For my MLB game, I am waiting for the random chance of the NL adopting the DH with league evolution on lol, would love to have an extra power guy in my lineup.
JMGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #31
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Time to break up the anti-DH circlejerk.

I don't usually use the DH, but I'm not so anti-DH that I'd mess with the rules of the ML quickstart.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #32
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Finally, as I leave office as czar of baseball I name my successor in the traditional role of Baseball Commissioner the one person most likely to fully restore confidence in the game and its integrity, Mr. Henry Aaron.
You're going to give the commissioner's job to an admitted PED user?

Nah, but seriously, I like Hank Aaron ...
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #33
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I prefer the DH because I think it's a better game, and I look forward to the DH coming to the National League beginning in 2017.

However, in the Baseball League, where it is currently 1932, there is no DH, because there was no DH anywhere in the world (that I am aware of), although the idea did come up as early as 1906, as an idea offered up by Connie Mack no less. Also, ironically, John Heydler as his role as president almost convinced the National League owners to adopt in the 1920s.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #34
jlemmen43
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In my fictional league, i remove DH from the majors and keep it for AAA only. That way guys who only are good at hitting still have a high enough level to play at if no major league team wants them.
jlemmen43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #35
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

No DH for me (fictional league). I keep it in the minors but only up to Double A ball. I disable it for Triple A to force guys to get fielding experience somewhere as they are coming up the system.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #36
redranger
All Star Reserve

Always remove in any of my fictional leagues. I am a Rangers fan and AL guy but have always hated the DH
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #37
sprague
All Star Starter

i am toying with a new idea. Normally I have been anti-dh in OOTP- but have noticed how fast batters can have thier fielding ratings reduced to 1 in less than a year by aging. This is a problem for a team who just signed a player to a long term contract and in 1 year supposedly can no longer catch a fly ball, yet can still hit and run.

so my new idea. DH is off for 2 years. The as soon as season 2 ends- turn it on, so all teams in off season know there is a DH. After 2 years in the post season I turn it back off for 2.
That means I play a few years of DH league to help the weird game agers, then can go back for 2 to no DH and pitchers have to deal with hitting and bunting.

I will let you know how the test works out.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #38
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

I've converted to the DH

I'd rather see another 'professional' hitter up there taking swings than watch another pitcher who doesn't even want to be in the batters box being over matched. I read somewhere recently that the combined avg/obp/ops of pitchers over the past year was something like .152/.160/.250, which is basically an automatic out. That is awful. I agree that having the pitcher forces you to use your bench more often and make you pinch hit later in the game, but is it really more strategic? It's more automatic. Unless the pitcher is working on a no hitter (in a game which you are probably already leading) you pinch hit for him. No drama in that.

What I've done to get more bench play is to set the option to Pinch Hit for Position players to 'Often' and set the option for, I can't think of the word, but tiredness, to 'High'.

I will say that up until this year, I was a staunch proponent of the pitcher hitting, it was only in the last couple of months that I changed my mind. Yell at me if you wish, it's water off a ducks back. I'm not trying to change your mind, just telling you why I've chosen to not use it.

EDIT: If there was an option in OOTP to make pitchers better hitters (without having to edit the ratings of every pitcher), then I would switch back to no DH. That's total fantasy though - pitchers are just not good hitters.

Last edited by CalvinHobbes; 04-30-2015 at 03:01 PM.
CalvinHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #39
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

in game:
I use DH's. if i have a slow cod of a power hitter, i prefer that he doesn't field a position.

as far as real life is concerned:
hate to break it to some of the folks who are very adamanent about hating the dh, it's more likely to be in both leagues than the dh disappearing from the AL (comparing those 2 possibilities only). but, that's okay because you'll always have your simulations

i do agree it makes the game more sophisticated in regards to stratagy, but pitchers batting will go the way of the do-do bird. firstly, despite a more sophisticated fan's wishes, most fans are not sophisticated. they like drinking multiple $10 beers and watching runs score more than the strategy involved with pinch hitting for pitchers and double switches - let alone understanding why or following the moves. secondly, the player's union loves it because it's one more player who can sign a big contract when compared to a standard bench player (a dh eats up a bench slot). and thirdly, it can extend careers of big name players, which improves exposure and prestige of the league.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:54 PM   #40
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinHobbes View Post
I'd rather see another 'professional' hitter up there taking swings than watch another pitcher who doesn't even want to be in the batters box being over matched. I read somewhere recently that the combined avg/obp/ops of pitchers over the past year was something like .152/.160/.250, which is basically an automatic out. That is awful.
It's even more awful than you thought.