Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Trading Way Too Easy

I am noticing that when a player is listed on the trading block, it is considerably easier to trade for them, even on the most difficult setting. Specifically I am noticing how incredibly easy it is to fleece other teams for cash. This really needs to be fixed. I never tried negotiating this way before, and I discovered how dumb the AI really is. The trading system in OOTP should be revamped. I wish you had to just send offers without immediate feedback, I think it made negotiating a bit more difficult.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I am noticing that when a player is listed on the trading block, it is considerably easier to trade for them, even on the most difficult setting. Specifically I am noticing how incredibly easy it is to fleece other teams for cash. This really needs to be fixed. I never tried negotiating this way before, and I discovered how dumb the AI really is. The trading system in OOTP should be revamped. I wish you had to just send offers without immediate feedback, I think it made negotiating a bit more difficult.
If I remember right, Markus said he sold you a different version of the game than the rest of us. The one he sold you is considerably dumbed down.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
If I remember right, Markus said he sold you a different version of the game than the rest of us. The one he sold you is considerably dumbed down.
um, OK...not exactly sure what you are trying to get at?

EDIT: The AI isn't always that dumb, but it seems it is when players are listed as being on the trading block.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 10-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Here is what I mean:
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by PSUColonel; 10-08-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Players on the trading block are ones that that the AI desperately wants to get rid of. They usually have terrible contracts. It makes sense that it would be easy to trade for them, and that cash would be influential.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

That is with difficulty at very hard and talent evaluation at 45/25/20/10
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Colby is only making 2 million a year and is in the final year of his contract...they are willing to also give me 5 million, and the players I offered are absolute scrubs.

EDIT: De Fratus might have a little potential, but that's it.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 10-08-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Colby is only making 2 million a year and is in the final year of his contract...they are willing to also give me 5 million, and the players I offered are absolute scrubs.
I can't explain every individual case. I can just say that in my game (modern fictional league, default settings), the players I see on the trading block are usually ones that I would never want to trade for.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 10-08-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Here is Lewis:
Attached Images
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

The part that really has me concerned is why the AI would be willing to also give me $5 million in cash.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
The part that really has me concerned is why the AI would be willing to also give me $5 million in cash.
It likes you.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I just went through the trading deadline in my league and for the last two weeks of July I tried desperately to get a starter just to fill in for an injury. When that didn't work I tried to find a bat with some HR power. In each case the AI locked in to my key pitching prospects who are not quite ready yet. The AI was willing to take my best catching prospect but he has a Piazza bat and I just couldn't pull the trigger for what would have been a rental.

I think the trading AI is very good in this version.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 10-08-2013 at 10:57 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
It likes you.
lol You ain't kidding
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I just went through the trading deadline in my league and for the last two weeks of July I tried desperately to get a starter just to fill in for an injury. When that didn't work I tried to find a bat with some HR power. In each case the AI locket in to my key pitching prospects who are not quite ready yet. The AI was willing to take my best catching prospect but he has a Piazza bat and I just couldn't pull the trigger for what would have been a rental.

I think the trading AI is very good in this version.
Were these players on the block?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Hasn't it been said over and over and over that the AI doesn't deal well when it comes to human GM's offering it multiple player deals? Are you seeing any AI controlled teams making the type of deal you displayed with other AI controlled teams?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand that trade either.

I can see the AI wanted to get rid of a aging starter in his final year and they are in "rebuild" mode.. but that particular trade makes no sense for the AI team to me.

What does Justin De Fratus look like as far as ratings and potential.. it's obvious that's who the AI team wants.

3 for 1 deals are probably not the best idea to NOT fleece the AI.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Were these players on the block?
No but I've already written several posts that players on the block should be easy to trade for. That is why they are on the block. The AI seems to have no differentiation between regular players, players on the block and players on waivers. Two of these three subsets should be exceedingly easy to trade for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
My big beef with the AI is the complete evaluation vacuum that seems to exist in the various routes to a trade. Players on waivers or DFA should be easy to trade for. Players on the trading block should not be evaluated the same as your all star SS. Nothing is more annoying than to get the "you have no players" message for a player the AI has in AAA and on the trading block.

Also as indicated above the team initiating a trade should always be in an inferior position with respect to value. Currently AI offers rarely meet that requirement.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3581864

These guys below thought trading was too difficult and Markus even offered to ease up a little.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...silliness.html

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

So, which one of you wants to re-code the AI to evaluate trades the same way a human would?

Really? No takers?
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #19
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Obviously it's not an easy task, but why not point things like this out so that Markus is at least aware?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #20
The Game
Hall Of Famer

In my league one team had its 3 best players on the trading block. all 3 are in the final year of their deals making 1,8 mil, 350K, 350K. Also had 2 mid level SP on the block, they moved one of the SP. The team is 8 GB and seems to have given up on the season. 1.8 mil is high even for a guy hitting .343. (1985 finances) Not sure if this added anything to the pro or con side of the debate, just wanted to share.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote