Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
RBPD5015
Minors (Triple A)

Markus refund or Fix

Markus,

I have been a fan and an owner of your game since 2003.
Every version, I have spent more money with you then any other video game. However I am so upset with this years version its pathetic.

All I want to do is run a small 2 to 6 person online league with a website through Fidel at Allsimbaseball. The problem I have had are endless and a month after the game I have played 0 MARK THAT ZERO GAMES. I really believe this game will go down in history with the likes of FBPRO 99, which got recalled.

I will give you my issues but they are so complicated I might not even be able to explain them. I also feel frustrated to even have to put them on paper, since the are so basic.

#1 So lets say I want to start a league with a friend I create a game and turn it into an online game. That part works.

#2 I then go through a 30 or 40 minute setup for all sim baseball. THANKS TO FIDEL AND FIDEL ONLY there is a 2 part youtube video to make that work to a point.

#3 Now I try and upload a league file but it keeps say it can not upload the file when I select update images????

#4 So I zip up the images and email those to him have him install them in the game.

#5 Now I upload my file to the website and tell my friend to download it and he does. He extracts it and tried to load the game. NOPE wont work. He needs a file that is listed no where called accountsdata_GMs.dat. I then have to email that file to him and explain to him where to place it in the game so he can load the league.

#6 he uploads his team to FTP and we are excited. I run the automater and it wont run because all 30 teams exports are not uploaded. NO **** this is a 2 person league. So I need to turn off this feature and rerun the automater.

#7 So we advance are are EXCITED AS HECK

#8 He goes to update the league file right from the game (BEST FEATURE) OOOPPS DOESNT work. Says no league found. This is not true the file is sitting on the website properly.

So I am stuck and waiting for FIDEL to help. Poor Fidel he is not even part of OOTP and he is the one fixing this mess.

Markus I am very disappointing I would rather you left this portion of the game out if you could not get it right. I do not need some WAR stat. Spend and make major functions of the game work properly. Unless you fix 2012 I will never spend a dime on OOTP games. I apologize if I seem rude, but the problem is I have been trying to play a good game of baseball since April.

#1 You forbid the roster makers from updating the 2011 game rosters so I had to wait for 2012

#2 2012 comes out and it is crap.

Give us what we deserve Markus!

Matt
Old 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
tward13
All Star Starter

This should be good.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Henry
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
This should be good.
LOL, not from me. I've said my peace about being part of the solution instead of the problem, but some simply can't get thru a day without calling the game crap and accusing Markus of stealing their money, so I'm done. Both of my leagues are going fine (after a few adjustments and a few cups of coffee) and when the next patch comes out these issues should be gone. Their are workarounds - depends on whether your most interested in playing baseball, or more interested in bitching I guess.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
RBPD5015
Minors (Triple A)

Henry,

#1 I spent a month without bitching #1

I finally got to my wits end and made a post.

To say the the online portion of this game is severely flawed is an understatement.

For example I am trying to help my buddy put his file on his website so I click update pictures so it will create the proper file with the team logos and players photos.

When it gets to the upload portion it gets about half way and crashes and says that it could not upload? WTF

So instead of bitching I am FTPING the file from his computer to the leagues website and hope that works? So I do know about workarounds. HOWEVER I did not pay for workarounds.

Also where is it explain what OTHER FILES must be zipped and email to each owner that is not included with the standard league upload? ANOTHER MAJOR FLAW?

MAtt
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

I've never set up a league, but am a member of an online league and have had no problems. Maybe it's something unique to your league? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think that the game is as flawed as you are making it out.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Location: The Hague (City of International Justice), The Netherlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBPD5015 View Post
Markus,

I have been a fan and an owner of your game since 2003.
Every version, I have spent more money with you then any other video game. However I am so upset with this years version its pathetic.

Give us what we deserve Markus!

Matt

You may be absolutely right with your complaint. You are having these issues apparently. You are right with your wish/demand that, if it's up to you, this should all be fixed.

Nevertheless, the way you express your demand and the way order Markus to listen to you and do what you want him to do is just outrageous. I don't see a lack of effort on his side to solve the issues in OOTP 12. He's been working on two or three patches as far as I can remember from the top of my head. Now, he's on a holiday which, in my opinion, he well deserves after working very hard and making long hours.

I'm absolutely sure that he's as much a dedicated fan as anyone else here, otherwise he surely wouldn't have started off with this endevour 10-12 years ago. If he thinks something doesn't work as it should, he'll probably be just as pissed off as anyone else. He's definitely doing his best and working on the game for his many fans. He'll probably also take your complaints into account as long as you stay courteous. This game is very important to him as his business depends on it and because you're a fan of the game he makes, I'm sure he wants to listen to you, too.

Why don't you just send a ticket?

Meanwhile, many people are enjoying the game. There are still updates and patches coming for OOTP 12, by the way.

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-22-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
molarmite
Hall Of Famer

All the problems for online leagues you listed have been the same for the past couple versions, so if you've played those like you said then you should know.

Quote:

#1 So lets say I want to start a league with a friend I create a game and turn it into an online game. That part works.

#2 I then go through a 30 or 40 minute setup for all sim baseball. THANKS TO FIDEL AND FIDEL ONLY there is a 2 part youtube video to make that work to a point.

#3 Now I try and upload a league file but it keeps say it can not upload the file when I select update images????

I've never had this issue, whenever I go into the league file area and click the include images, it has worked 100% of the time so it's a user error on your part.

#4 So I zip up the images and email those to him have him install them in the game.

#5 Now I upload my file to the website and tell my friend to download it and he does. He extracts it and tried to load the game. NOPE wont work. He needs a file that is listed no where called accountsdata_GMs.dat. I then have to email that file to him and explain to him where to place it in the game so he can load the league.

This is a one time thing that you have to do, I agree a bit of a pain but I believe once OOOL gets situated, you won't need to do this anymore.

#6 he uploads his team to FTP and we are excited. I run the automater and it wont run because all 30 teams exports are not uploaded. NO **** this is a 2 person league. So I need to turn off this feature and rerun the automater.

Seems silly again to complain about a feature you just have to turn off and it works just fine, must take about 5 seconds.

#7 So we advance are are EXCITED AS HECK

#8 He goes to update the league file right from the game (BEST FEATURE) OOOPPS DOESNT work. Says no league found. This is not true the file is sitting on the website properly.

Again, nothing Markus can do about this. It's up to you to know where you store your league file. How is OOTP suppose to know where you want your file uploaded to unless you specify it? User mistake again.

#1 You forbid the roster makers from updating the 2011 game rosters so I had to wait for 2012

Where did you see this is not allowed? Anyone's allowed to make any roster set they want at any time and release it to the public. It's just that no one wants to take the time (because trust me, it is a time consuming project like you can't believe) to update the rosters for an old version of the game.

#2 2012 comes out and it is crap.

So other then a few issues with online mode that are easily fixable on your end, why else is this crap?

I don't usually make these kind of posts but I'm trying to let you know that none of this is Markus's fault, it's all easily fixable by you and this is the way past versions have been as well. If you need help with this process, feel free to contact me on AIM at juicebox3313.

"Now all you need is a signature. A quote or initial, perhaps."

[
Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Nutlaw
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinHobbes View Post
I've never set up a league, but am a member of an online league and have had no problems. Maybe it's something unique to your league? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think that the game is as flawed as you are making it out.
I'm a member of a league, too. Being a member is easy. Setting up and running an online league can be a rather tricky experience. There should be no question that the process could be improved upon.

I'm certain that Markus and OOTP understand that when someone makes a frustrated post on the forums that they aren't out to bash the game. They're just looking for help.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

I am in two ootp12 on-line leagues.
They both work fine.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Location: The Hague (City of International Justice), The Netherlands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
I'm a member of a league, too. Being a member is easy. Setting up and running an online league can be a rather tricky experience. There should be no question that the process could be improved upon.

I'm certain that Markus and OOTP understand that when someone makes a frustrated post on the forums that they aren't out to bash the game. They're just looking for help.
Well, they may have been weathered by experience, I'm sure no-one would like the pressure and stress that comes when a version of the game isn't working as previous ones and they certainly won't be needing any of that. Frustration comes in so many ways but screaming, yelling and making tyrant-like demands isn't going to do the trick. Markus is being called to account here personally and that can be quite tough to someone, particularly when that someone is trying to do the best he can. If you batter the walls long enough, they will break and this can also happen with him and his team. If he's going to lose his passion for the game, then I'm sure he'll soon quit and likely the game with him.

Last edited by Dutchy; 07-22-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Lucas718
Major Leagues

Come on now, FbPro 99? Exaggerate much?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
RBPD5015
Minors (Triple A)

Ok well I do not think it is fair for me to come in here and bash without leaving some constructive ideas for the future of OOTP.

As many of you pointed out you are IN many OOTP leagues and it is running smooth. Thats great, but setting up and commishing a league is 100% tougher.

So below is the way I envision a league being setup in OOTP. I understand we have OOTP online leagues but this is for if you got your own server.

Step #1 creation of a league like normal
Step #2 set up the game settings for online play
Step #3 set up the server information. Once you click the button to verify the path is set up correct, it should provide you a check. You must do this for every category in order to save you online league.
Step #4 Once this is complete it will REGISTER your league with OOTP and save all you info on the OOTP website (NOT THE FILES LIKE OOTP ONLINE, just the name and server settings)
Setp #5 It will list every team and have following columns

Team Name, Owner Name, Owner Email, Invite/Fire button)

example

Seattle Mariners - John Jones - JJones@aol.com, (FIRE)
Oakland A's - Mark Lewis - COMPUTER MANAGER, (INVITE)

When you click fire it will ask you of you want to invite a new owner or hire a cpu manager.

if you click invite then you will enter the new owners Email and it will send them a unique invitation code (ex 713391DF33).

When the user receives the code he will enter OOTP and click join league.
He will then enter the invitation code and it will put him as the manager for that leagues team. He will then be given an opportunity to create his manager password The game will the auto download and extract the leagues updated game file.

The owner would then go to the main menu and load the game. He would then enter the password and then be in the league.

Once the owner is fired he will be able to join the league but not upload a file via ftp, because their will be an owner name verification upon upload.

If Markus could clean the online portion of the game up to this degree the game would be 10 of 10

Matt
Old 07-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
RBPD5015
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718 View Post
OK OK maybe not. However when you love a game and you cant do what you want to do with it what is the difference.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MARK THAT ZERO
Smokey, you're entering a world of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutlaw View Post
Then they should post with more maturity. Some people should read their posts out loud and ask themselves if that is how they want it to sound. As someone who travels almost every week to make my living I learned a long time ago that a restrained and neutral demeanor in the face of constant delays, cancellations and arbitrary changes, helps me cope and often gets me more useful help than those who demand action and make it personal.

I'm not suggesting that I don't get frustrated and vent from time to time but assertively making ones case in a mature manner carries far more weight I suspect. The thread title alone gets my eyes rolling.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas718 View Post
Ooooo.....I'd been trying not pay much attention, but the mention of that game still hurts when I hear it. Man......glad I converted to baseball. That was a sad, sad, time. Oh, well.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok well I do not think it is fair for me to come in here and bash without leaving some constructive ideas for the future of OOTP.

As many of you pointed out you are IN many OOTP leagues and it is running smooth. Thats great, but setting up and commishing a league is 100% tougher.

So below is the way I envision a league being setup in OOTP. I understand we have OOTP online leagues but this is for if you got your own server.

Step #1 creation of a league like normal
Step #2 set up the game settings for online play
Step #3 set up the server information. Once you click the button to verify the path is set up correct, it should provide you a check. You must do this for every category in order to save you online league.
Step #4 Once this is complete it will REGISTER your league with OOTP and save all you info on the OOTP website (NOT THE FILES LIKE OOTP ONLINE, just the name and server settings)
Setp #5 It will list every team and have following columns

Team Name, Owner Name, Owner Email, Invite/Fire button)

example

Seattle Mariners - John Jones - JJones@aol.com, (FIRE)
Oakland A's - Mark Lewis - COMPUTER MANAGER, (INVITE)

When you click fire it will ask you of you want to invite a new owner or hire a cpu manager.

if you click invite then you will enter the new owners Email and it will send them a unique invitation code (ex 713391DF33).

When the user receives the code he will enter OOTP and click join league.
He will then enter the invitation code and it will put him as the manager for that leagues team. He will then be given an opportunity to create his manager password The game will the auto download and extract the leagues updated game file.

The owner would then go to the main menu and load the game. He would then enter the password and then be in the league.

Once the owner is fired he will be able to join the league but not upload a file via ftp, because their will be an owner name verification upon upload.

If Markus could clean the online portion of the game up to this degree the game would be 10 of 10

Matt
Well, I can't argue with that, sounds very logical and straight forward to me. (Note: I know nothing about programming) Thanks for the suggestion, this is good feedback.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-22-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
Lucas718
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Ooooo.....I'd been trying not pay much attention, but the mention of that game still hurts when I hear it. Man......glad I converted to baseball. That was a sad, sad, time. Oh, well.
Agreed. Every couple of years or so I throw the CD in and install it again somehow hoping that it magically fixed itself over the years. Then after a few days I uninstall it again.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #19
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

There is a lot of hoop jumping to play this game online, you have to give the OP that.

Hopefully, official OOTP leagues wil eliminate most of the mess in say... four or five versions?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The roster set doesn't get updated during the year because it's an absurd amount of work to do a roster set once in a year. The roster makers aren't going to do that work several times a year. Markus certainly has never "forbidden" an update; there are other reasons that will never happen.
Closed Thread