Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:12 PM   #21
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swill View Post
Curious as to how much your team strategy contributes to this. I have been doing some Iron and Bronze tournaments and trying to figure out what sets teams apart.

at this point with everyone just starting out (well, besides those who have already ripped 10,000 packs and own every card, and the other set who have bought up everything the first group tossed out to the AH ).... those iron/bronze level tourneys are just random dumb luck....

finished 2nd in my first iron tourney i joined today.... got swept out in the first round the next one i tried....

like Lemandria said, don't rush, it's a year-long marathon if you stick with PT until the next version comes out; so enjoy the ride as you work on improving your team
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #22
Swill
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
Position training for players that need it. Flexibility later on.

A chance to work on your 'theme', ballpark, strategies--sell off players that don't fit your purposes, and acquire players that do.
Obligatory, new to the game disclaimer.

Are you saying the cards we have and use can get better? Develop?

Also, how important is it to tweak your home ballpark?

I totally get that I am not a whale in any regards. Not too worried about catching them either. Trying to increase my learning curve by asking questions! I earned a couple packs yesterday in tournaments but can't seem to get past the 2nd or 3rd round today. Not a huge deal. Figuring out the auction house as well.

Last questions. Concerning missions, I see right now they are only using 2020 live cards. I assume there will be more released later for one hit wonders, etc? So I shouldn't sell those cards/duplicates now. Better to hold on until missions are released? Maybe buy some of them up?
Swill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 PM   #23
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:

For defense...sometimes. If a player has no experience at a position, they will have a zero rating at the position. Giving them experience will increase their rating up to a max, based on their underlying skills (range, arm etc.).

Quote:
Also, how important is it to tweak your home ballpark?
I'd say "very". It's not the most important thing in the world, compared to say collections or tournaments, but is still important to stretch your talent a little bit further. Just make sure you understand what you're doing...it's easy to "rob Peter to pay Paul" when it comes to park factors. You need to consider the effects on both sides (offense & pitching).

Quote:
Last questions. Concerning missions, I see right now they are only using 2020 live cards. I assume there will be more released later for one hit wonders, etc? So I shouldn't sell those cards/duplicates now. Better to hold on until missions are released? Maybe buy some of them up?
Yes surely more collections are coming, starting Thursday I believe. This part is entirely speculative...your guess is as good as mine
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #24
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post

Yes surely more collections are coming, starting Thursday I believe. This part is entirely speculative...your guess is as good as mine

for new players, if you are able, be sure to catch 'this week in perfect team' (or 'twipt' for short) each week (see the sticky post at the top of the page).... great show that previews new content/missions/etc.
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #25
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I'll provide an example. I have a team that currently carries about six outstanding defensive shortstops.

Honus Wagner - the cheap bronze Honus Card has awe-inspiring defense at short and some less awesome defense at third. I plopped him on 3B to develop that particular rating to the maximum it can reach. (Currently 94 3B/104 SS)

Warning about 3B--they've gotta be right-handed or they can't train 3b.

Ron Hansen--great defense at SS, and he's actually playing there. (104SS)

2B being shared by Geronimo Pena (meh defensively 62) and Kazuo Matsui (great glove 106, no stick).

1B is occupied by Paul Dejong. He's a SS, but not gold glove caliber 68 def. He swings a better stick that the rest of these guys, but that isn't saying much. Plop him on 1B where he started at 0 rating, now up to 47. He's backed up by Mauer (good defense 83, great OBP, light bat).

Then there's Ozzie Smith, the defensive god. Ozzie backs up 2B, SS, and 3B, on rotating days. Because his natural SS defense is so high, he picks up new positions speedily. Just started him on tertiary backup plan this morning, and he's up to 22 3B/16 2B/118 SS.

Brinkman 98SS and Metger 97SS can't even make if off the reserve bench.

The point is, we can reach a point where we just rotate the infield 90 degrees, and everyone's picking up a new position and eventually they're all terrific bench pieces at all four spots for the big diamond stud players that will make the team later on.

Last edited by Lemandria; 03-24-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #26
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Warning about 3B--they've gotta be right-handed or they can't train 3b.
This holds true for all infield positions excluding 1B. I do not recall if it also affects catchers, but this should be a non-issue since they have separate skills and are notoriously difficult to train up in game.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #27
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Ten games in a row against whale teams sure drives you down in the standings...
halfbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #28
Orion
Major Leagues

Just use the first season as a training exercise. The whales will depart on their quest for the top in a season or two. My advice is to think about what sort of team would be fun to play, and then start looking for players that fit your vision.

When I started playing last year, I thought it would be fun to play a team themed like the 80's Cardinals teams that vexed me so much at the time. A few elite starters backed by very strong defense. On offense we featured base stealing gap hitters flying bolstered by a big bat or two in the 4/5 spot. I was often near dead last in HR's and was still able to compete year in and year old. Very fun team and surprisingly effective.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:44 PM   #29
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Just use the first season as a training exercise. The whales will depart on their quest for the top in a season or two. My advice is to think about what sort of team would be fun to play, and then start looking for players that fit your vision.

When I started playing last year, I thought it would be fun to play a team themed like the 80's Cardinals teams that vexed me so much at the time. A few elite starters backed by very strong defense. On offense we featured base stealing gap hitters flying bolstered by a big bat or two in the 4/5 spot. I was often near dead last in HR's and was still able to compete year in and year old. Very fun team and surprisingly effective.
Nice!

Yeah, for me this season obviously is a big learning curve but the team has really turned it around since the All Star break. It has been challenging to have a balanced lineup with an abundance of power righty bats, but well, we are in a lot of slug fests.

It would be great to build a team around pitching and defence like your Cards team, but it sure is fun hitting home runs too...
Old 03-28-2020, 06:14 AM   #30
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It would be great to build a team around pitching and defence like your Cards team, but it sure is fun hitting home runs too...
A weird quirk of the game, but run prevention teams earn less PP in general and waaaay fewer awards.

And you can kiss All Star appearances goodbye, unless you killer defense guy(s) also produce some killer offense.

Offense oriented ballparks produce more PP as well.

Stick with the Sticks.

Last edited by Lemandria; 03-28-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #31
halfbutt
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
A weird quirk of the game, but run prevention teams earn less PP in general and waaaay fewer awards.

And you can kiss All Star appearances goodbye, unless you killer defense guy(s) also produce some killer offense.

Stick with the Sticks.
Thanks for the encouragement! So long as I can keep Cecil fielder from taking the mound in relief, all will be well!
Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #32
Orion
Major Leagues

Quote:

Stick with the Sticks.
Aa I learned was the biggest weakness of my strategy. Still, winning gets you PP too.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #33
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Aa I learned was the biggest weakness of my strategy. Still, winning gets you PP too.
not always, I have won games where my team has not gotten any PP and losing team had a player hit 4 of 5, or a pitcher paint corners for 6 inning and they got all PP. Over a season if you have a good W/L record and/or make the playoffs you will win some PP at season end.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote