Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Bench coach and lack of aggressive baserunning

I know there is a thread dedicated to an OOTP player who is seeing a lack of scoring from second base on singles in OOTPXX.
Lots of formulas, which I understand to a point but eventually becomes Greek to me.
Anyway, I think I am seeing the same thing, although I am not documenting it.
On many occasions, I see high-end base runners failing to score from second on singles or first on doubles.

This is even occurring with two outs, and the outfielder would have what is considered a weak arm rating.

I can understand there are reasons the runner may hold up at third, and you should not judge gameplay on the on-screen simulation.

But I'd like to have that decision -- that little pop up box -- put into my hands more often than it occurs.
If he gets thrown out, it's on me.

Is the game play?
And does the fact my bench coach is not an advocate of aggressive baserunning play into it.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
And does the fact my bench coach is not an advocate of aggressive baserunning play into it.
I would certainly think it would (and should.)
That is just one of the great many variables that I alluded to in that other thread.

Just for fun I did start to go through my current seasons game logs to gather some data- against my earlier proclamation that I felt no need to- and I didn't get very far yet but early indications are that I was perceiving things correctly. Which is to say, for my team at least in my primary fictional league, scoring in the situations in question is quite common. Now granted, I have a team that is 1st in the league in base running and we play an aggressive style with the running game.

It really does strike me that there are so many different levers pushing on these outcomes that it would take a very large sample size before you could reach any significant conclusions. And it would be quite difficult to isolate all the variables to make sure you are getting pure and verifiable data.

But as someone else pointed out in that other thread, if the overall offensive numbers are coming out quite close to what they should given the statistical modifiers being used for that season, then it would be hard to imagine that on the macro level the outcomes for these specific base running situations are that far off what they should be. (Or at least that's what I took from what they said. Apologies if I am mis-interpreting. )
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Can you post a link to the other thread u are talking about, plz? Thx!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
Can you post a link to the other thread u are talking about, plz? Thx!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Sure.
Here it is: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=304341
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote