Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Perfect Game or Just a No Hitter

My pitcher faced 27 bateers and none of the reached base. The only blemish was a dropped foul ball by my 1B. According to OOTP this is a No-Hitter. Since the only thing the error did was make him pitch a few more pitches shouldn't this be a Perfect game. Or is this simply the game not being able to distinguish types of erorrs?
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
INNOCENTMISERY
Bat Boy

According to MLB, a perfect game is a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. The pitcher(s) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base.

Therefore, what happened in your game is indeed a no-hitter and not a perfect game.
INNOCENTMISERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOCENTMISERY View Post
According to MLB, a perfect game is a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. The pitcher(s) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base.

Therefore, what happened in your game is indeed a no-hitter and not a perfect game.

But the error did NOT allow a runner to reach base. It was a foul ball. The batter was K'd on the next pitch.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #4
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOCENTMISERY View Post

Umm... wouldn't it be a perfect game since no one reached base?
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

It's a perfect game.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #6
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Yes, this is a perfect game... if in fact no one reached base safely.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, technically it should be a perfect game, but yeah, we don't distinguish in-game the type of error.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:46 AM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, technically it should be a perfect game, but yeah, we don't distinguish in-game the type of error.
Possible to rewrite the code so that it looks for an absence of baserunners instead of looking for no hits, walks or errors?
Old 06-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

MLB doesn't seem to directly address this: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

Maybe someone who's 'connected' should put in a call for an official edict from on high?

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
BoomerSoonerAMH
Minors (Double A)

Perfect game.

The key is that no batter reached any base for any reason. MLB pretty definitively addresses this in the link above with the distinction being that a batter may reach via walk, error, passed ball, wild pitch or catcher’s interference. The definition of a perfect game does not include a requirement for the absence of any errors, thus the OP’s situation meets the definition of a perfect game.
BoomerSoonerAMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #11
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
Yes, this is a perfect game... if in fact no one reached base safely.
Even errors made in fair territory end a perfect game. Ask Clayton Kershaw.
BIG WORLD for OOTP22: WinRAR File ZIP file
My Custom Schedules

nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
Even errors made in fair territory end a perfect game. Ask Clayton Kershaw.
Errors don't end perfect games, baserunners do. And since it is possible for an error to be committed without a resulting baserunner...
Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Errors don't end perfect games, baserunners do. And since it is possible for an error to be committed without a resulting baserunner...
If a runner reaches on an error, that is the end of a perfect game. No-hitter stays intact.

But to the foul fly being dropped? Yes, that would still be a perfect game.
My Custom Schedules

Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #14
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
If a runner reaches on an error, that is the end of a perfect game. No-hitter stays intact.

But to the foul fly being dropped? Yes, that would still be a perfect game.
Why did you reply to me? You said nothing that contradicts my post.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:06 AM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

How can an error be scored if the batter/runner doesn't advance?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:42 AM   #16
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

If a player drops a pop fly in foul territory an error can be scored as the play resulted in another opportunity for the batter to reach base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jmolony3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

A dropped foul ball does not allow a batter to reach any base, therefore can't end a perfect game. That's all there is to it. Certain other types of errors, HBP, walks, certain types of interference, base hits, certain types of dropped strikes, do allow a batter to reach a base, so they end perfect games.

As for why it's an error, (and how this type of error does not impact a perfect game), it's an error whenever a defensive player can reasonably be expected to complete a defensive play (with at least one exception) to create an out and fails to do so. This type of error doesn't create a runner however, so it doesn't impact the status as a no hitter or perfect game.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 06-27-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
GTAltman
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
How can an error be scored if the batter/runner doesn't advance?
An error is issued if a play should have been made by a professional.
If a C is under a foul ball and it pops in and out of his glove, regardless of where he or the ball is, it's an error.

He should have made the play.

On a side note, a Passed Ball is against a C (obviously) but for scoring purposes any runs that score that shouldn't have would be considered UNEARNED against the pitcher.
Just another oddity, I guess
GTAltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:38 AM   #19
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Thanks everyone for the input to my original question. Is there any way to edit a correction in the player history etc?
Old 06-29-2019, 06:14 AM   #20
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Why did you reply to me? You said nothing that contradicts my post.
This is what I meant by my first post and not the original reply. I was referring to Clayton Kershaw pitching a no-hitter, facing 28 batters, and one reaching by error. This quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drstrangelove View Post
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

A dropped foul ball does not allow a batter to reach any base, therefore can't end a perfect game. That's all there is to it. Certain other types of errors, HBP, walks, certain types of interference, base hits, certain types of dropped strikes, do allow a batter to reach a base, so they end perfect games.

As for why it's an error, (and how this type of error does not impact a perfect game), it's an error whenever a defensive player can reasonably be expected to complete a defensive play (with at least one exception) to create an out and fails to do so. This type of error doesn't create a runner however, so it doesn't impact the status as a no hitter or perfect game.
That's why I referred to Kershaw.
My Custom Schedules