Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
FlaviusFlav
Minors (Double A)

Talent sweep garbage

It seems like the scouting director's international discoveries are almost exclusively 0.5 star potential guys. Guys I would never draft or sign or anything.

I imagine you shouldn't expect to find a ton of high value guys this way.

Right now my scouting budget is at $16.5MM, with 29% on international scouting, for an 8-24 range.
My SD is simply "great" in each category with Favors Tools.

Is this just a matter of RNG? Obviously I'm not at the maximum scouting budget.

I imagine Scout ability + International Scouting Budget would be the primary factors... is there something else? Should I expect to find useful players this way? I've played OOTP for a long time and this just seems par for the course, but then again I play with the same style all of the time so I wondered if I was missing out on something in this area.

Thanks for the advice!

FlaviusFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

What I've experienced is that out of every 30 or so scouting discoveries 1 or 2 come along who don't look like much to begin with but somehow develop into pretty decent prospects and big league players, if not exactly stars.

Now obviously some, if not all, of this can just be chalked up as talent change randomness. But given how young some of these players are I also have to wonder if it isn't built into the game that you might not start to see their true potential until they've spent a few years in your system.

Granted, my scout is rated very highly in international scouting. Still, when I first get the notification that he has found someone in his international travels, they never look any good. Some of this I think comes down to patience- just letting things play out a bit. My sense is that a lot of people just see these signings as dross and dump them too quickly. They are mostly dross but sometimes you've got to dig through some trash to find a gem.

(Sorry- I'll let someone else answer the more specific questions about scouting budgets, etc.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

It is similar to the draft the more players you find each year the better luck finding a few top talent players in your discoveries. Most of the discoveries are meant to be DSL fillers based on what I have heard Matt say over time. These are the 10-20 guys each of the real life MLB clubs sign for 10,000 bonuses. So most of those guys do not make it out of the DSL in real life and every couple of seasons there are a few finds.

WIth increasing your scouting budget I believe it increases the % of "diamond in the rough" prospects your scout discovers. The ratings also help with the International Free Agent Market in July on the scouting ratings of those players vs OSA.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Now obviously some, if not all, of this can just be chalked up as talent change randomness. But given how young some of these players are I also have to wonder if it isn't built into the game that you might not start to see their true potential until they've spent a few years in your system.
As someone who plays primarily with scouting off, I'll say these players are generally as bad upon creation as you're likely seeing. If anything, their youth gives them more time for random talent bumps and such.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

I usually assume the scout slept with the mother of the 0.5-star prospect.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
CanadaCajanek21
Minors (Double A)

This year it's all 1/2 star prospects. However, in OOTP 19 I got a 5 star! So it can happen!
CanadaCajanek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

even when you see a well-rated one, you should assume they are crap.

at 16-17, they are simply inaccurate more times than not. just shortlist those 16-year olds that you see with high ratings in other's comlexes. by thte time they are in s-a or a-, they'll be showing their true colors or at least a tumultuous decline in potential. *inaccuracy, not a real drop.

once every 10-20 years you'll get something amazing and a handful of useful players too. More of your int'l amature talent will come from investing on IAFAs every year.

feed the pig. it pays out later.

keep those discoveries... some don't show for the same reason why some look amazing... it's a total crapshoot at that age. 18 year olds are bad, but discoveries are another level of futility entirely.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote