Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
zappa1
All Star Starter

patch 20.4.40

This latest patch has my 3D animations moving slower. I know I can compensate for this in the settings by moving it up from normal to quick. What I am asking is if this was done deliberately to slow things down a bit or is this a mistake? Thank you.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, this was intentional. Basically, players were going too fast before, so by slowing them down, hopefully it better balances how fast players move vs how fast the ball is travelling, and makes things appear more natural. It may take a little bit to adjust to it, but I prefer it like now.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I had it on Quick before the patch, have moved up to Fast now. Find it much too slow otherwise.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
This latest patch has my 3D animations moving slower. I know I can compensate for this in the settings by moving it up from normal to quick. What I am asking is if this was done deliberately to slow things down a bit or is this a mistake? Thank you.
Its interesting you say this. I have noticed the exact opposite. My players move much faster and my fly balls look fake they move so fast.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-14-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
mars001
All Star Reserve

I'm getting used to the slower player movements in the animations, but one thing I've noticed is that the fielders tend to hold on to the ball longer before throwing.
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Ormondbeachdan
Minors (Triple A)

Yes... Something seems a bit off with the players sometimes holding the ball a lot longer... Outfielders..
Ormondbeachdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I had it on Quick before the patch, have moved up to Fast now. Find it much too slow otherwise.
Yes, I moved up from Normal to Quick for the first time. That's probably only because I had become used to the previous pace and now prefer it (besides, I play out all my games and there's only a finite time left on Earth, you know). No more monkeying with the pace of the game, please! I would not feel comfortable ratcheting up that setting any further with possibly unpredictable and unpleasant side effects.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Just to illustrate my concern, visualize a picture of the settings (I cannot attach an image right now due to the status of the forum). My new "normal," Quick, is only two positions away from the max: Fast and Very Fast. Yet, below Normal are Slightly Slow, Slow, Very Slow, and Super Slow! (I can only imagine how slow this is . . .) My point is, if Normal was deemed too slow, then what can possibly be the purpose of four slower settings? I have come around to advocating restoring the "normal" to Normal, as it was before this patch, and letting the player dial his own setting from a more natural range of choices.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

There's this note in the changelist: Changed report colors in classic skin (applies to new games, or copy "\data\templates\styles_ootp 20 classic.css" to "\news\html\styles.css" in existing ".lg" saved game folder). To clarify, the file is actually in: \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\templates and when you copy this file to: \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\saved_games\[your league].lg\news\html you must rename the file to "styles.css" (copying over the old version). At least this is how I got it to work just now.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 05-16-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Just to illustrate my concern, visualize a picture of the settings (I cannot attach an image right now due to the status of the forum). My new "normal," Quick, is only two positions away from the max: Fast and Very Fast. Yet, below Normal are Slightly Slow, Slow, Very Slow, and Super Slow! (I can only imagine how slow this is . . .) My point is, if Normal was deemed too slow, then what can possibly be the purpose of four slower settings? I have come around to advocating restoring the "normal" to Normal, as it was before this patch, and letting the player dial his own setting from a more natural range of choices.
The speed you choose only affects how fast things play out, so you don't have to be worried about going to a faster setting and suddenly seeing more players miss balls or anything like that.

But yes, the current "quick" setting will probably have players move around the field about the same speed as the old "normal" setting did, although you will probably notice the ball going faster now than before.

It's not hard to add more settings, though, so we'll add a few more to give you some more fine-grained control of the speeds.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, this was intentional. Basically, players were going too fast before, so by slowing them down, hopefully it better balances how fast players move vs how fast the ball is travelling, and makes things appear more natural. It may take a little bit to adjust to it, but I prefer it like now.
The first game I played after the patch, I was pleasantly surprised to see that not every infield play was a close, bang-bang play. That was a nice touch.

However, the fielder delays on plays coming from the outfield are becoming very distracting and immersion-breaking. Twice in the same game I had an outfielder throw it in to the infield, and the cut-off man stood there holding the ball while two more runs scored in slow-motion. It is common now for players to hold onto the ball and watch runners run. This does not feel more natural.

Would you consider further tweaks to address the fielding animation discrepancies to balance infield/outfield plays?

Note: My wife purchased OOTP 20 for my birthday a month-and-a-half ago, and I have been enjoying it immensely.

Last edited by Pendragon; 05-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yes, I've already done a couple more tweaks to fix some of those OF plays Just didn't quite have time to get them into the last patch.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, I've already done a couple more tweaks to fix some of those OF plays Just didn't quite have time to get them into the last patch.
Thanks, Matt.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #14
zappa1
All Star Starter

It's not hard to add more settings, though, so we'll add a few more to give you some more fine-grained control of the speeds.[/QUOTE] from Matt

Instead of adding more settings, why not just make it a slider bar? That way you could get the spaces in between the settings. Just a thought.

Last edited by zappa1; 05-16-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Live Start is messed up because Yes for all is checked and like Pillar still on Blue Jays and Shoemaker not on DL.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #16
zappa1
All Star Starter

Rockies' James Pazos: Traded to Rockies
Pazos has been traded to the Rockies, Patrick Saunders of The Denver Post reports. The left-handed reliever has been shipped ...

CBSSports.com20d

I have Pazos on my active roster (Phillies) and he never threw one pitch for the team in real life. He was traded 20 days ago.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

I'm noticing a complete lack of power for my team since the patch, with a corresponding jolt of power for the cpu.

In my seven games since the patch, I've scored 15 runs, while the cpu has scored 45. I'm not seeing much in the way of HRs for me either--and all of this after me basically leading the league in power numbers through the first 50+ games of the season.

Yes, 7 games is a small sample size. But the patch makes it appear as though a switch has been flipped.
christophermichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
I'm noticing a complete lack of power for my team since the patch, with a corresponding jolt of power for the cpu.

In my seven games since the patch, I've scored 15 runs, while the cpu has scored 45. I'm not seeing much in the way of HRs for me either--and all of this after me basically leading the league in power numbers through the first 50+ games of the season.

Yes, 7 games is a small sample size. But the patch makes it appear as though a switch has been flipped.
Unless an absolute flood of posts reporting something similar comes rushing in, this certainly sounds like total coincidental timing to me. Sometimes a team, IRL and in OOTP, goes into a slump. They don't score, they allow their opponents to score a ton of runs. And for a 7 game stretch even the best of teams can experience this sort of thing.
I can't promise there is no causal relationship between the patch and the 7-game trends you are seeing. But if I were a betting man, I'd pretty much bet the house against it.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #19
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Unless an absolute flood of posts reporting something similar comes rushing in, this certainly sounds like total coincidental timing to me. Sometimes a team, IRL and in OOTP, goes into a slump. They don't score, they allow their opponents to score a ton of runs. And for a 7 game stretch even the best of teams can experience this sort of thing.
I can't promise there is no causal relationship between the patch and the 7-game trends you are seeing. But if I were a betting man, I'd pretty much bet the house against it.
Totally. That’s why I want to emphasize that this is appearance-only at this point. Moreover, I backup my game each game-month as a matter of principle and I wanted to test this out, so I loaded my backup.

Through a quick-sim of the games, the record was 5 - 4 over 9 games with a smattering of scorelines, so everything looked fine there. As a final test, I’m replaying those 9 games using the backup and I’m through the first two with typical and decent results.

As of right now, this strikes me as at coincidence for my team hitting a slump with the timing of the patch. But, I wanted to post in case there were other folks experiencing it too. Since it looks isolated, I won’t worry.
christophermichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
Totally. That’s why I want to emphasize that this is appearance-only at this point. Moreover, I backup my game each game-month as a matter of principle and I wanted to test this out, so I loaded my backup.

Through a quick-sim of the games, the record was 5 - 4 over 9 games with a smattering of scorelines, so everything looked fine there. As a final test, I’m replaying those 9 games using the backup and I’m through the first two with typical and decent results.

As of right now, this strikes me as at coincidence for my team hitting a slump with the timing of the patch. But, I wanted to post in case there were other folks experiencing it too. Since it looks isolated, I won’t worry.
Well in that case, hopefully your team gets its groove back soon.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote