Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > FHM 4 - Technical Support

FHM 4 - Technical Support Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
FreddyBeach
Bat Boy

Historic Draft

Hey!

So, I'm quite new here to the Forum. This is my first post, but I've logged 100+ hours on both FHM 3 and FHM 4. I hope to be an active part of the community in years to come!

Sadly, I didn't create an account to the Forum just because everything is all sunshine and rainbows. I'm having an issue in a timeline starting in the 2010-11 season as the Detroit Red Wings. Most things are fine, but the draft class is very limited. In my most recent season, 2016-17, the draft class was a large 10. I didn't catch that because I really don't play around with the scouting much. By that time, there was seemingly no value in my first round pick, and thus, was a waste (especially given earlier in the year I traded to get more picks in the draft). And the draft pool keeps getting smaller each year, making it much harder for me to fill out a roster and a development program.

I can upload the game file and post screenshots if necessary, but I'm just interested to know if it's an issue others have had/if there's a resolution. There's no "new notable players in the league", so will that mean next year there'll be nobody in the draft?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by FreddyBeach; 07-23-2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Clarity, date corrections
FreddyBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBeach View Post
Hey!

So, I'm quite new here to the Forum. This is my first post, but I've logged 100+ hours on both FHM 3 and FHM 4. I hope to be an active part of the community in years to come!

Sadly, I didn't create an account to the Forum just because everything is all sunshine and rainbows. I'm having an issue in a timeline starting in the 2010-11 season as the Detroit Red Wings. Most things are fine, but the draft class is very limited. In my most recent season, 2016-17, the draft class was a large 10. I didn't catch that because I really don't play around with the scouting much. By that time, there was seemingly no value in my first round pick, and thus, was a waste (especially given earlier in the year I traded to get more picks in the draft). And the draft pool keeps getting smaller each year, making it much harder for me to fill out a roster and a development program.

I can upload the game file and post screenshots if necessary, but I'm just interested to know if it's an issue others have had/if there's a resolution. There's no "new notable players in the league", so will that mean next year there'll be nobody in the draft?

Thanks in advance!
The way how the game works right now is only players who ended up playing at least 1 game in the NHL are available to be drafted. This means when you get to newer seasons it will be limited, however the draft will open up again with fictional players I believe once you pass real life.

Jeff has been combing through and slowly adding players who were drafted now, and eventually I think we'd like to add as many players as possible, but it's going to take some time.

What you've just run in to is just one of the catch-22's with the mode.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #3
FreddyBeach
Bat Boy

Ohhh, that makes so much more sense now! Thanks for pointing that out. It's good to know that it expands again after you get past real life - my roster and depth charts are looking pretty dry right now haha.

This is really good to know for future games in historic mode, as this was my first shot at it. I guess as a follow-up question, because there's such a limited number of players in some drafts, does the AI understand the lesser value of the picks? With there only being 10 picks in 2017 for example, in 2016 if I wanted to trade my 2017 first round pick away, would than 2017 pick be less valuable than if I were the same team trading a next year first round pick to the same team in 2030, if that makes sense? Or does the draft class make any difference on the value of the pick at all?

Thanks for the clarification and for all the awesome work you guys do!
FreddyBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
The way how the game works right now is only players who ended up playing at least 1 game in the NHL are available to be drafted. This means when you get to newer seasons it will be limited, however the draft will open up again with fictional players I believe once you pass real life.

Jeff has been combing through and slowly adding players who were drafted now, and eventually I think we'd like to add as many players as possible, but it's going to take some time.

What you've just run in to is just one of the catch-22's with the mode.
Wouldn't it make since to make some sort of in game note to the user about this, and have the game fill up drafts with game generated talent. Having draft classes this small is an absolute immersion killer.

At a minimum, there should be some sort of in game note to the user to explain this. There are lots of things that should be communicated in historic replay that isn't, and the user is guessing. Making the game more user friendly in these aspects should be a big priority for FHM5. Frankly, it's not good enough right now.

Last edited by George_Bell; 07-24-2018 at 03:38 PM.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBeach View Post
Ohhh, that makes so much more sense now! Thanks for pointing that out. It's good to know that it expands again after you get past real life - my roster and depth charts are looking pretty dry right now haha.

This is really good to know for future games in historic mode, as this was my first shot at it. I guess as a follow-up question, because there's such a limited number of players in some drafts, does the AI understand the lesser value of the picks? With there only being 10 picks in 2017 for example, in 2016 if I wanted to trade my 2017 first round pick away, would than 2017 pick be less valuable than if I were the same team trading a next year first round pick to the same team in 2030, if that makes sense? Or does the draft class make any difference on the value of the pick at all?

Thanks for the clarification and for all the awesome work you guys do!
I mean, there's nothing stopping anyone from abusing the system no matter what. It's your judgement call what you want to do. It's just what it is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
Wouldn't it make since to make some sort of in game note to the user about this, and have the game fill up drafts with game generated talent. Having draft classes this small is an absolute immersion killer.

At a minimum, there should be some sort of in game note to the user to explain this. There are lots of things that should be communicated in historic replay that isn't, and the user is guessing. Making the game more user friendly in these aspects should be a big priority for FHM5. Frankly, it's not good enough right now.
The reality is most of our current resources is on Standard Game Mode because that's where the majority of our users play. It's really only affecting a small amount of users at this point. Historical Replay is mostly for those who want to relive Hockey History. It's not trying to hide anything, but there are a few work around to make things happen correctly and right now there's not much we can do. We will continue to add as we can, but there's always going to be a few things that we'll likely never be able to replicate perfectly or leave open to someone abusing it if they want.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
George_Bell
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
The reality is most of our current resources is on Standard Game Mode because that's where the majority of our users play. It's really only affecting a small amount of users at this point. Historical Replay is mostly for those who want to relive Hockey History. It's not trying to hide anything, but there are a few work around to make things happen correctly and right now there's not much we can do. We will continue to add as we can, but there's always going to be a few things that we'll likely never be able to replicate perfectly or leave open to someone abusing it if they want.

I don't think you are trying to hide anything, i just think it's stuff that is overlooked, or something you just didn't think of. Having the wrong playoff matchups according to seeding and NHL rules which ARE stated in the game, or the wrong teams with home ice advantage seems like a really easy fix, and if that stuff is ignored after being aware of it, then I don't have the confidence in the developers of the game that would continue to keep me as a customer.

I agree there are some things you can't replicate perfectly. I get it. It's a game. In game communication and accuracy of playoffs don't qualify in my mind. Those are things that can be fixed or improved on, and should be.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
croatian
All Star Starter

I think historical database with all minor historical rosters are maybe too much to ask for, but Canada Cup and World championships/Olympics in Historical mode shouldn't be to hard to implement.

EDIT : Wrong thread, I wanted to post this on main FHM4 board in "Historical mode addition" thread...

Last edited by croatian; 07-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
I don't think you are trying to hide anything, i just think it's stuff that is overlooked, or something you just didn't think of. Having the wrong playoff matchups according to seeding and NHL rules which ARE stated in the game, or the wrong teams with home ice advantage seems like a really easy fix, and if that stuff is ignored after being aware of it, then I don't have the confidence in the developers of the game that would continue to keep me as a customer.

I agree there are some things you can't replicate perfectly. I get it. It's a game. In game communication and accuracy of playoffs don't qualify in my mind. Those are things that can be fixed or improved on, and should be.
Well those will be getting fixed. Or rather find out what happened and why they aren't working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatian View Post
I think historical database with all minor historical rosters are maybe too much to ask for, but Canada Cup and World championships/Olympics in Historical mode shouldn't be to hard to implement.

EDIT : Wrong thread, I wanted to post this on main FHM4 board in "Historical mode addition" thread...
You know, I've talked to Jeff about this because that was my thought too. But then I got thinking about it and when he explained it to me too, it was like a light going off. It isn't easy to implement because the fact is for the vast majority of those teams, they weren't NHL players. So it's scouting and correctly ranking them to begin with. Then what happens to all those players? It's not a quick fix.