Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 8 > FHM 8 - Technical Support/Bug Reports

FHM 8 - Technical Support/Bug Reports Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #1
jcard
Major Leagues

Screen Change Delays

Using my laptop for the game, it forces full-screen (as expected) due to the 1366 x 720 (or whatever) resolution. Is this the reason that every screen transition is delayed? The effect is as follows:

1) Click on icon that loads a new screen
2) Delay
3) Clicking sound
4) Delay
5) New screen loads

Oddly, sometimes when there are multiple methods of moving from a given screen to a particular other screen, only one of the methods will cause this lag.

Most critically, I wonder if this is at the heart of why the game sims so slowly. It takes far longer for the game to advance even from August 5 to the start of training camp in a simple NHL /AHL setup than it takes to simulate an entire MLB / MiLB season in OOTP, using the same computer. Simulating the actual season (classic or 2D mode) is even worse. It seems like the issue is not the simulating, per se, but that the game in effect updates the screen in some native resolution and then has to convert the updated screen into the forced full-screen resolution. So each set of new player cards (during the off-season) or each dayÂ’s updated standings (once games have begun) is automatically going through the screen transition latency described above.

Any help would be appreciated. The issue really sucks the enjoyment out of playing, and would (depending on what hardware I might be using in the future) preclude me from purchasing subsequent editions of the game.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:16 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Definitely shouldn't be doing that; screen loads should be pretty much instant except in a few cases like lists with thousands of players/stats. A couple of things to try: does it make any difference if you switch to the minimum 1280*768 resolution (Settings-Interface from the start screen), or if you turn facegen off (unclick "enable facegen" from Settings-Facegen, and after loading a save also unclick "Use Facegen for person pictures" in File-Setup/Options-Facegen Settings)?
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:16 AM   #3
jcard
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Definitely shouldn't be doing that; screen loads should be pretty much instant except in a few cases like lists with thousands of players/stats. A couple of things to try: does it make any difference if you switch to the minimum 1280*768 resolution (Settings-Interface from the start screen), or if you turn facegen off (unclick "enable facegen" from Settings-Facegen, and after loading a save also unclick "Use Facegen for person pictures" in File-Setup/Options-Facegen Settings)?
I will try these remedies as soon as possible, but did not want to delay in expressing my appreciation for the quick and considered response.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
jcard
Major Leagues

Unfortunately, I did not have any success. I do not expect you to be my personal tech support, but if you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated.

Notes:
1. Dell Inspiron laptopÂ… pretty vanilla settingsÂ… 1366 x 768 display.
2. I do not think that FaceGen is the culprit, as the issue is present even with the FHM8 Start Screen (where there are no FaceGens).
3. Again, I am strongly inclined to lay the problem with the forced full screen process. FHM6 and 8 are the only applications I have ever used where this process was used, and they are the only cases where the latency was present (not criticizing the games, just a product of the fact that I am not much of a gamer so I have not had other occasions to deal with the issue). I tried (albeit rather blindly) tweaking different display settings on my hardware to no avail.
4. As I said, I really would like to solve this problem (if it is indeed possible to solve) so that I can give the game a fair shake. I do not think I would be able to purchase further versions knowing this issue was present for virtually every click.

Thank you.