Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Franchise Hockey Manager 8 > FHM 8 - Technical Support/Bug Reports

FHM 8 - Technical Support/Bug Reports Need help or want to report a bug? This is the right place.

Old 05-02-2022, 12:06 AM   #1
LittleMissTiny
Bat Boy

Facegen doesn't work

Hi!
I have tried to turn on Facegen but it doesn't seem to work. I only see the jerseys when I look at a player. I have checked on the Start screen on the setting and it's enabled. I also checked in my game's setting and it's enabled there as well. If I go on the image menu, the option New Fictional Picture is grey and I don't have access to it. Auto-reload picture doesn't do anything.
Anyone can let me know how to get it to work?
Thanks!
LittleMissTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

A few possibilities:

Have a look at the facegen folder (normally \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\facegen) - does it exist, and are there files in all of its subfolders? If not, something went wrong with the game installation and you may need to reinstall (or verify game files if you're on Steam.)

Try choosing a different rendering mode on the Settings-Facegen screen on the start menu. Unlikely that'll help, as it's an old holdover from OOTP that usually won't have any effect on a modern system, but it's worth a shot.

If it's neither of those, from the start screen go to Settings, then Troubleshooting, and select "Enable Debug Trace." Then load a game, open a player profile, and then exit the game and check your \debug folder (\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\debug) for the fhm_trace.txt file. Send that to me either in a forum PM or at jeff@ootpdevelopments.com - if there's some odd conflict that's causing facegen not to work for you, there'll likely be a clue in there as to what it is.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
LittleMissTiny
Bat Boy

Thank you, I just send you an email!

I tried both of your suggesting, but neither of them seem to be working.
LittleMissTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #4
ChapelHeel66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

What was the resolution to this? I am not able to update pics with .fg files. It generates a new fictional picture each time, even when the player has an .fg file in my .fg subfolder.

I'm on Windows too (non-Steam). I have the proper subfolders (both \facegen and \fg) in the Documents folder. Facegen is turned on in the general settings. I also have it turned on in Setup, and the box is unchecked for using the global folders for fg. The box also is unchecked for using photos. I have tried every possible combination of on/off for these settings. One time it worked to read .fg from my global fg folder when I had that box checked, but it did not work for every player. Also tried different rendering modes, which did not work.

See the attached trace file I generated when following your instructions above. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt fhm_trace.txt (19.6 KB, 34 views)
ChapelHeel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:17 PM   #5
jilech
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapelHeel66 View Post
What was the resolution to this? I am not able to update pics with .fg files. It generates a new fictional picture each time, even when the player has an .fg file in my .fg subfolder.

I'm on Windows too (non-Steam). I have the proper subfolders (both \facegen and \fg) in the Documents folder. Facegen is turned on in the general settings. I also have it turned on in Setup, and the box is unchecked for using the global folders for fg. The box also is unchecked for using photos. I have tried every possible combination of on/off for these settings. One time it worked to read .fg from my global fg folder when I had that box checked, but it did not work for every player. Also tried different rendering modes, which did not work.

See the attached trace file I generated when following your instructions above. Thanks.
Have you checked facegen file and game have same spelling. Often time players have different spelling depending on historical or current game, as example Patrik Elias, is spelled like that in historical mode and is written as Patrik Eliáš as retired player in a current game, so you need his face with both spellings for his face to show up in both game modes.
jilech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:51 PM   #6
ChapelHeel66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have, yes, thanks. For instance, I have tried a Sebastian_Aho.fg file in both

1. the "global" fg folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\default_data\fg_files) and

2. my Documents folder (F:\Users\...\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 8\fg_files)

It worked in the global folder (when I had the box checked to read fg files from the global folder) but does not work when the box is off, even though the same file is in the Documents subfolder. Same result with Ethan_Bear.fg. But, I could not get Antti_Raanta.fg to work even in the global location.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:45 PM   #7
ChapelHeel66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wait a sec, I just rechecked the manual Game Concepts: Facegen and in the manual's Picture menu are "Import PhotoFit (Facegen File)" and "Import Photo File."

My Picture menu is missing both those items. They just aren't there. I have been using Auto-reloading Picture, because that's the way you would load a custom .fg file in OOTP Baseball.

But the FHM manual says Auto-reload Picture only reloads the picture files that already exist, not the .fg files. And all my picture files are wrong because FHM is creating fictional pictures and saving them. So when I Auto-reload, I'm just reloading fictional pics I never wanted in the first place instead of loading the .fg files!

So easy in OOTP Baseball, and so hard in FHM. If I'm missing menu items, I guess that's the problem. But how could I be missing menu items?
Old 07-09-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
jilech
Minors (Single A)

Just delete the pics in player_pics in the save game folder. Then game will create new pics from fg files next time you look at player profile.
jilech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
ChapelHeel66
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried that and it hasn't worked. I delete all the pics in the graphics/player_pics subfolder of the saved game folder. Restart the game. The game then regenerates fictional pictures for everyone, ignoring the .fg files I have placed in the fg folder.

It's obviously either not looking in the fg folder, or ignoring the files there.

I have followed the naming conventions in the example provided: Seth_Jarvis_1_2_2002.

I have followed the naming conventions in the readme file provided:
seth_jarvis

I have followed the naming conventions from OOTP Baseball:
Seth_Jarvis

None works. I've spent hours on this, with every setting and combo of settings I can think of. I've spent more time trying to solve this than I have spent actually playing the game. Very frustrating.