Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21- New to the Game?

OOTP 21- New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
kcroyalty29
Minors (Single A)

Playing Same Game On Multiple Computers

So I'm likely holding out until STEAM has this game on Friday (does anyone know what time on Friday I'll be able to get it on STEAM?)

But my main question:

I plan to MOSTLY play this game on one laptop because of the ability to do so at work and to be more social around my girlfriend.

I would RATHER play it on my PC in my home office but that makes me very anti social.

This is my first time buying the game.

If I get it with STEAM, and use my laptop 75% of time but want to occasionally play in my office on the PC, can I easily pick right back up where I left off? I plan on ONLY being GM/Manager of one team at a time (the 2020 KC Royals) so i'm not talking multiple different games, just literally one.

Can I do this fairly easily without TeamViewer or is that the only option?

Thank you!!!

Dave
kcroyalty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

My understanding of Steam is that your files reside within Steam, and not your hard drive. So yes, this is easily possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
sizzlingpopcorn
Major Leagues

Hey Dave! The game should be live on Steam around 10AM ET on Friday.

Quote:
Friday, March 20 - Official Launch Day
At around 2-3 AM ET (essentially in the middle of the night) we will reset all PT21 beta teams and shut down simulation servers. Your login info will remain the same, so no need to create a new account after the reset. At around 9 AM ET, the system will be reopened and you can set up your brand new team again, open your starter packs (plus the extra gold pack you get) etc. PP purchase will be available at that time, too. However, simulations will NOT start yet, we don't want Steam users to be at an disadvantage.

On 10 AM ET the game will officially launch worldwide, on Steam, Mac AppStore (if their review process is finished until then) and for the Fastspring webstore customers, all at a 10% launch discount (same as pre-order discount). Download links for the final version will be emailed to pre-order customers. At that time, all users that now have the game can log in to PT 21 or create their accounts and start their teams, load up on PP if needed etc.

On 2 PM ET the first Entry Pool leagues get created and simulations start either exactly at that time or half an hour later.

Monday, March 23 - First promotion round
At the usual time (morning ET) we will start the first PT21 promotion round. This time, we will populate the first three levels (Rookie, Stone, Iron) based on team winning % compiled in the entry pool. Teams with less than 30 games in the Entry Pool will automatically start at the Rookie level. Simulations will begin 10 AM ET, as usual.

Content Creator and Streamer:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/sizzlingpopcorn
sizzlingpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
kcroyalty29
Minors (Single A)

Thanks so much for the responses - means a lot!

I've now heard 2 people say you can use STEAM and pick right back up where you left off on a different machine - and 2 say NO. Haha I'm so confused.

Anyone else want to cast the deciding "Game 5" knockout vote? Haha

Dave
kcroyalty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalty29 View Post

I've now heard 2 people say you can use STEAM and pick right back up where you left off on a different machine - and 2 say NO. Haha I'm so confused.

Dave

Like I said...the files reside within Steam, not on your hard drive. Makes no difference which computer you are on.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Like I said...the files reside within Steam, not on your hard drive. Makes no difference which computer you are on.

I may need instruction but saved games have never, in my experience been stored in Steam. That’s why I moved back to standalone.

That’s a lot of MB and GB to give for free. I have 6 to 10 saves every version some with 100+ seasons.

Educate me on how it’s done. I’ve always had local HD storage otherwise.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I may need instruction but saved games have never, in my experience been stored in Steam. That’s why I moved back to standalone.

That’s a lot of MB and GB to give for free. I have 6 to 10 saves every version some with 100+ seasons.

Educate me on how it’s done. I’ve always had local HD storage otherwise.

Alright, I’m backing away (slowly). You may very well be correct. I always thought a benefit of Steam was that all files and such were stored within Steam.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

I use steam and all my saved games are on my hard drive. save a test game and then exit to main screen. Select Load Game and highlight the file you want. At the bottom of the loaf games screen is a option to open folder. That will bring up File Explorer and the saved files you are looking for.

Mine are saved here:
C:\Users\Bob\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 20\saved_games\BJ-3b.lg

Your file name will be different and the name after user will also,

Hope this helps

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
greg_oz
Bat Boy

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I bought the Mac version of OOTP21, getting back into it after several years away.

Searching around the forums, it seems that the only way to play the same league on multiple Macs is to move the .lg file around.

I'd like to use a cloud sync to sync the saved_games folder between Macs. I am having issues changing the custom data path in OOTP21 to be my iCloud Drive or Dropbox folder (nothing is available in the 'Users' directory when I try to change the custom data path, so I'm not sure it's gonna work.

Curious if anyone has a better approach for 'synching' league files between two Macs?

Perhaps I should have bought the steam version to make this a bit easier

Last edited by greg_oz; 03-18-2020 at 07:19 PM.
greg_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #10
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

OOTP league files can be fairly large, often several gigabytes depending on how big the league is and how long it's been running. Automatic cloud syncing may not be practical, and I'm almost positive Steam doesn't support saved game cloud storage.

Best way to use the same league on two computers is probably to zip the files and transfer them manually. Or just use it as an opportunity to have two different leagues.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I find Team viewer is a good way to play remotely.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
Desolate
Minors (Rookie Ball)

My suggestion is to use Dropbox or software like it to take your save file and transfer it over to your laptop that way. You will just have to pull the save file out of your Dropbox and make sure to replace it when you want to change computers.
Desolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
rscaramelo
Bat Boy

I had the same question about a cloud save or maybe onto a flash drive however I would want to use a Macbook and a Windows PC.......I am suspecting this isn't possible.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
I had the same question about a cloud save or maybe onto a flash drive however I would want to use a Macbook and a Windows PC.......I am suspecting this isn't possible.
Yep it's possible. Just copy the .lg folder between computers.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #15
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Copied whole folder into my MS OneDrive.

Which file exactly do I have to open from that folder from my 2nd laptop?

See the structure ....
Attached Images

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 03-25-2020 at 01:50 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
rscaramelo
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
Yep it's possible. Just copy the .lg folder between computers.
Good to know.
If I buy through Steam does it make any difference? Sorry new to this.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
rscaramelo
Bat Boy

I am in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post
Copied whole folder into my MS OneDrive.

Which file exactly do I have to open from that folder from my 2nd laptop?

See the structure ....
Old 04-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
abangs
Minors (Single A)

I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread, but this topic seems closest to my question, and I didn't see the answer elsewhere.

I'm also using multiple devices to play the game. I have a desktop and a Surface, and I access the game on both devices through my Steam account. It has been working pretty well so far.

One thing that I have noticed is that my OneDrive account, which I have on both devices but don't actively use, is now jam-packed full of OOTP files. There are plenty of .dat files as well as tons of images like team logos.

I'm curious: what would happen in terms of game performance if I deleted all of these files from my OneDrive?
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #19
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalty29 View Post

Dave
You cannot pick up between games between computers UNLESS you save files to a central LAN server.
Another possible solution is to use your laptop to connect to your desktop or vice versa.

You cannot play head to head with anyone in an actual game no matter how many licenses you have. ie your GF wants to see what all the fuss is about and 'play a game' against you. No can do that i have been able figure out for 4 years
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #20
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Alright, I’m backing away (slowly). You may very well be correct. I always thought a benefit of Steam was that all files and such were stored within Steam.

the game is stored on steam so if you get a new computer you can just download and install on your new computer.

the games or seasons you PLAY are stored locally or on your LAN. Definitely not on Steam. Unless you are thinking perfect league
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote