Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
PoopyJoe69
Minors (Triple A)

Historical Challenge

I posted this already in another Historical thread, but I feel like there could be a good discussion here as well. Inspired by a post from Dr.K, I wanted to pose several Historical Challenges on could do and see if anyone else had any idea for this as well. For instance, one challenge could go like this:
Let The Tiger Roar!
Scenario: In 2003, the Detroit Tigers had one of the worst seasons in baseball history, finishing 43-119. This season was the culmination of a decade of mediocrity, and seemingly signaled shift in the Tiger organization. In just 3 years, the Tigers, led by Justin Verlander and Curtis Granderson, won the American League Wild Card and made it to the World Series, losing to the St. Louis Cardinals in 5 games. Can you not only follow in their footsteps but take it one step further?
Time Frame: 2003-2006
Goal: Make the playoffs and win the World Series at least once

I have more that I've thought of, and I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas too!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
PoopyJoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
PoopyJoe69
Minors (Triple A)

Here are two more for the Angels too:

Fallen Angels
Scenario: The decade of the 1980’s proved to be bittersweet for this Orange County team. Sharing Angel Stadium with the Rams meant that it turned into a monstrosity, and the Angels only made it to the playoffs twice. Moreover, those two trips proved to be both fruitful and disheartening. In 1982, lead by Reggie Jackson and Brian Downing, the Angels were one game away from making it to their first World Series before losing three in a row to the Milwaukee Brewers. In 1986, with a 3-1 series lead against the Boston Red Sox, the Angels were one strike away from winning game 5, seemingly destined to make it to their first Fall Classic. However, the foibles of Mike Witt and Donnie Moore proved to be their undoing, as the Red Sox roared back and not only won game 5 but the last two in the series to shock the Angels. Can you clear the hurdle that these Angels teams got stuck on?
Time Frame: 1982-1986
Goal: Make playoffs twice and make the World Series at least once (For increased difficulty, win the World Series as well)

California’s Finest
Scenario: Fresh off their first World Series appearance and victory in 2002, the Anaheim Angels appeared poised for a run at a dynasty. Led by big Texan righty John Lackey, fireballing young closer Fernando Rodriguez, and later by promising young starters such as Ervin Santana and Joe Saunders, the Angels pulled off a run of 5 division titles in 6 years. However, none of these playoff appearances culminated in much postseason success, with only 2 ALCS appearances and no pennants. Can you take over where the Angels were oh-so-close and finish the job?
Time Frame: 2004-2009
Goal: Make playoffs 5 times, win pennant twice, and win World Series once
Old 05-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #3
timmermac
Major Leagues

Here's one for the Braves

Mostly A Bridesmaid, Almost Never A Bride

From 1991-2005, the Atlanta Braves were perennial division winners. From 1991 to 2005, this is how the postseason shook out

1991: Lost World Series in 7 to Minnesota
1992: Lost World Series in 6 to Toronto
1993: Lost in NLCS in 6 to Philadelphia
1994: Strike killed postseason
1995: Won World Series in 6 against Cleveland
1996: Lost World Series in 6 to New York
1997: Lost NLCS in 6 to Florida
1998: Lost NLCS in 6 to San Diego
1999: Lost World Series in 4 to New York
2000: Lost NLDS in 3 to St. Louis
2001: Lost NLCS in 5 to Arizona
2002-2005 Lost NLDS to Giants, Cubs and Houston twice.

Your challenge is win at least 3 World Series in the period from 1991 to 2005. Bonus if you take it past 2005 and at least make the postseason.

Crush the baseball. Drive it before you. And hear the lamentation of the opponent's women.

I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!
timmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
jerichoalar
Bat Boy

1990-1992; hoisting the Jolly Roger.

The game 7 loss in the 1992 NLCS to the braves and former teammate Sid Bream began a twenty year slump for the Pittsburgh Pirates - the longest losing season streak in the history of baseball, and nearly the death of baseball in the Steel City.

1992 was also the third year running the pirates had made the playoffs, only to lose in the NLCS each time and miss out on their first world series appearance since 1979.

Plagued by small budget woes, the 1990 team loses a key player each year: Bream after 1990, Bonilla after 1991, Smiley at the trade deadline of 1992, and Bonds and Drabeck after the wipeout.

Can you hoist the Jolly Roger over the world series before the 1990 dreams of the city collapse into free agency regrets like they so often have in the Pirates' checkered history?

The challenge
Take command of the 1990 pirates and win an NLCS by 1992 and a world series by 1995.

Bonus: do it while re-signing at least two of Bream, Bonilla, Bonds, Smiley, and Drabeck.
jerichoalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
PoopyJoe69
Minors (Triple A)

Created two for Texas:

Texas Time
Summary: The early 2010’s seemed to be a turning point for Texas. After a nondescript decade of average finishes, the Rangers won back to back AL West titles in 2010 and 2011. With Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz mashing, the offense cruised, and when they had a lead in the late innings, 22 year old closer Neftali Feliz would slam the door shut. This combination of power hitting and shutdown bullpens led the Rangers to the World Series twice in those two years. In fact, in 2011, the Rangers were one strike away from winning their first title multiple times, only to succumb to the heroics of David Freese in Game 6. Unfortunately, this would be the closest they would get to winning it all, as they haven’t made it back since. Can you finally bring the World Series trophy down to Texas, where everything, especially the spotlight, is bigger?
Time Frame: 2010-2011
Goal: Win one World Series

First Gulp Of Success
Summary: Throughout their first twenty years, the Texas Rangers had experienced successful seasons, but never made it to the playoffs. In 1977, they won 94 games, but finished 8 games behind first place. In 1994, they were in first place in the AL West before the season was cancelled. In 1996, however, the Texas Rangers won the AL West and made the playoffs for the first time. With Ivan Rodriguez, Juan Gonzalez, and Will Clark leading their offense, they followed this up with two more division titles in 1998 and 1999. However, each of these playoff appearances resulted in first round dismissals, with Texas only winning one game total. Can you make the first playoff taste for the Rangers all the more sweeter?
Time Frame: 1996-1999
Goal: Win at least 3 AL West Titles, make at least 2 ALCS, and win at least 1 World Series.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

I like to try making the worthless 116 win Mariners actually succeed in the playoffs.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Take over the 2012 Nationals and don't shut down Strasburg and win the World Series.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Take over the Astros after the 1974 season with the veteran part of the crew getting older and a Los Angeles-Cincinnati bloc at the top of the NL West. Coincides with the adoption of the rainbow uniforms.

Another Astros challenge is obvious: take them over after 2012 with the move to the AL and on the heels of two consecutive 100-loss seasons. Coincides with the move back to the proper Astros colors of navy and orange.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
Take over the Astros after the 1974 season with the veteran part of the crew getting older and a Los Angeles-Cincinnati bloc at the top of the NL West. Coincides with the adoption of the rainbow uniforms.

Another Astros challenge is obvious: take them over after 2012 with the move to the AL and on the heels of two consecutive 100-loss seasons. Coincides with the move back to the proper Astros colors of navy and orange.
Here is what I have found doing several auto sims of early 70s. If that JOE MORGAN trade never took place. Houston makes the playoffs consistently throughout the 70s. That is what makes this game great....what if!!!
what if dysdale and koufax could have played LONGER together!!
What if there was no free agency that destroyed the A's
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
I like to try making the worthless 116 win Mariners actually succeed in the playoffs.
Worthless? I think not. My friends and I enjoyed that 162 game season more than any other and I attended a playoff game against Cleveland that Moyer won by ruling a shutout! Did it hurt when they lost to the Yankees? Absolutely but still it was a truly wonderful season from April thru September! Still waiting to make the playoffs...😕
Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #11
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
Take over the 2012 Nationals and don't shut down Strasburg and win the World Series.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No thanks! I am very happy with my Giants winning their second world series in my lifetime (1956 - 2012).
Old 09-21-2018, 02:15 AM   #12
VintageBaseballLover
Bat Boy

For more historical frustrations, take the helm of the Brooklyn Dodgers and rewrite history from 1941 through 1954, can you do the impossible and take down NL rivals St. Louis and New York and furthermore their AL arch nemesis Yankees to win the World Series?

I tried with the '51 Dodgers, winning the pennant (Bobby who?) but ultimately losing the World Series to the Yankees.
VintageBaseballLover is offline   Reply With Quote