Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #301
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

I'm literally playing OOTP13 2 to 4 hours every day, and thinking about future moves the rest of the time. I am totally addicted and immersed. I can't give any stronger endorsement for the game than the fact that I can't stop playing it.

Keep up the great work Markus!
DanP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #302
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimwooley View Post
Dude I've played this 30 to 40 games walks vs. so are not even close to real and if real players were hit as many times with HBP in real life everybody would be injured !
I get very realistic results. Others report the same thing. Either you're a troll or you've screwed something up.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #303
DanP68
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I get very realistic results. Others report the same thing. Either you're a troll or you've screwed something up.
Agreed. I've never had a problem with K/9 and BB/9 rates in recent OOTP versions.

My complaint is that the GB rates seem way too high, and this seems to be a function of player generation. Almost every pitcher in my fictional league has a 50%+ GB rate, and there are a ton of guys at 65%+. One of my best starting pitchers is at 71%.

Stop me if I am wrong, but I believe in modern day MLB only about 25% of qualifying pitchers have a GB rate of 50% or more.
DanP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #304
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP68 View Post
Agreed. I've never had a problem with K/9 and BB/9 rates in recent OOTP versions.

My complaint is that the GB rates seem way too high, and this seems to be a function of player generation. Almost every pitcher in my fictional league has a 50%+ GB rate, and there are a ton of guys at 65%+. One of my best starting pitchers is at 71%.

Stop me if I am wrong, but I believe in modern day MLB only about 25% of qualifying pitchers have a GB rate of 50% or more.
There could be a ton of reasons for this. Year, season, modifiers, era, strategy, good drafts vs weak drafts.

Whats the highest amount of HR given up for a pitcher with 200+ IP and what is his GB % and what is the least amount of HR given up and what is his GB %?
Even myself on steroids I have a GB % of 64% and I still give up close to 20 HR in Wrigley Field. 18-19 in The Cell.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #305
Mizerooskie
Bat Boy

This will be my 3rd or 4th version of OOTP (started with 9 or 10 and skipped 12), and I have to say, I'm disappointed.

Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky, but I'm 4 seasons in and I've had probably half a dozen random, fall-off-the-map regressions from my stud prospects. Literally none of my top prospects have panned out. These were players with top-notch makeup, no injury concerns, no production lapses at lower levels or over-aggressive promotion. They just all of the sudden start to suck. This isn't an issue of the players having poor potential--they've all had top notch potential. That potential just takes a nosedive suddenly, along with current ratings.

It's incredibly frustrating and discouraging, as I'm one that like to build my organization through development of drafted and acquired prospects. It frankly makes me not want to play the game.

Is there something I'm missing? Has their been a change to player development? Are minor league coaches more impactful?
Mizerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #306
fintach
Major Leagues

I love the game. I've played it steadily since release, and I've consistently gotten good play and realistic results.

On the realism front, my only concern has been stolen base success rates -- mine always seem lower than computer teams for similar (or identical) ratings. This is anecdotal though. I haven't taken time to investigate it because I enjoy the game too much to sweat this detail.

I have to say, though, that 13 seems less stable than previous releases. I've had more problems with crashes and corrupted league files than in 11 and 12 combined.

History:
Portland Purple Knights of the USBL: 1x NL Champs
1970-74 Berkeley Free Radicals of the BBL: 4x Division Title, 3x LCS, 2x Left Coast Cup Champions
2011 Portland River Dragons of the SPL: 1x Division Title
2011 Las Vegas Coyotes (MLB): half season before DH bored me to death.
fintach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #307
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
This will be my 3rd or 4th version of OOTP (started with 9 or 10 and skipped 12), and I have to say, I'm disappointed.

Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky, but I'm 4 seasons in and I've had probably half a dozen random, fall-off-the-map regressions from my stud prospects. Literally none of my top prospects have panned out. These were players with top-notch makeup, no injury concerns, no production lapses at lower levels or over-aggressive promotion. They just all of the sudden start to suck. This isn't an issue of the players having poor potential--they've all had top notch potential. That potential just takes a nosedive suddenly, along with current ratings.

It's incredibly frustrating and discouraging, as I'm one that like to build my organization through development of drafted and acquired prospects. It frankly makes me not want to play the game.

Is there something I'm missing? Has their been a change to player development? Are minor league coaches more impactful?
Personally I hate using the default 100 for Talent Randomness Change. I use 50 for Modern leagues. 1 For historical. Also Depends on how good your scout really is. My scout my have had your guy rated as 3 stars or lower.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #308
flaquis010285
Minors (Triple A)

I always thought OOTP, in each itineration, surpasses themself with their then new or improved features and their richness that allows for fictional or reality-based, historical or modern universes. This makes OOTP a true role-playing game hidden in a sports sim envelop (an example followed by Title Bout Championship Boxing, and also expected to do so in Franchise Hockey Manager).

What's The Big Bad? No national teams, no Classic (I expect to be solved for OOTP 14, in time for next year's WBC).

Last edited by flaquis010285; 12-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
flaquis010285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #309
Salvo_Witness
Bat Boy

Okay, but buggy

Three of my leagues are in 13, and the fourth is switching there. My one main problem, is one of the leagues, no matter how the commish has tried to tweak files, crashes consistently every time I either try to update the league from in-game, or switch to another league, therefore the league tries to save and CrasheS. I also got no help from support despite following all their directions. Disappointing to say the least.
Salvo_Witness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #310
axezzy
Bat Boy

Thumbs down

spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
axezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #311
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy View Post
spotted an 11-run lead, then going into the 9th up by 8 and not a single out recorded (using three relief pitchers all warmed up), nine runs score... game over? nope, thank the demo for saving me $20 on the after the season special or/and another $35-40 on 14. I will NOT be purchasing this piece of crap!
Hey man, it's not a piece of crap just because you lost one game. You can't just make an entire opinion on a game based on the outcome of ONE game. I will tell you that that kind of situation doesn't happen often at all. Try not to skip to conclusions so quickly.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #312
flaquis010285
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Hey man, it's not a piece of crap just because you lost one game. You can't just make an entire opinion on a game based on the outcome of ONE game. I will tell you that that kind of situation doesn't happen often at all. Try not to skip to conclusions so quickly.
This is true to real-life baseball too .
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #313
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, no one EVER blows an 11-run lead... CNNSI.com - Baseball - A's win 20th straight after blowing 11-run lead - Thursday September 05, 2002 10:28 AM

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #314
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Classic.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #315
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like you were just looking to find things wrong with this game. What did your pen look like? Who were you playing against? I was up 7 runs in the last game I played, thought i was cruising to an easy win vs the 2nd worst team in the other league. I pulled my SP after 7 innings at 96 pitches. Pulled my starting C for my backup Josh Gibson who was hitting .173 at the time. Pulled my 1B who was 0-4 in teh game and put in my backup middle IF who is a 9 at 1B. I put in my doghouse MR who has an ERA of 6.79 in 32 IP. Well he gave up a grand slam now i am up by 3. I put in my setup who got out of the 8th. I put in my CL for the 9th who seems to be Mitch Williams reincarnated. He gives up a quick 2B to the leadoff man. next ball hit to my 2B unner on 3rd advances to 3B while my 1B, the guy who is Mr Vaccum boots it and the runner scores from 2B and the leadoff man gets to 2B. up by 2. Ortiz my CL then gives up a 3B to the worst triples hitter in my league basically a Cecil Fielder without the power. up by 1 with a runner on 3rd. They pitch hit for the pitcher, this guy is batting .210 vs LHP and .125 vs Ortiz in 8 career AB's. He then proceeds to lauch it onto Waveland Avenue for a 434 foot blast. I was so Po'd I simmed the rest of the game and lost 8-7. Bottom line %^it Happens sometimes. Ortiz was on a cold streak at the time so I knew the risk of him doing this, and when he blows a save he does it in style.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #316
hfield007
All Star Starter

It is people like that who when they lose in that fashion the game is horrible and they hate it and it is unrealistic... but when they are the team coming from behind like that and win in that fashion they would say the game is amazing and they never had a rush like that.

There is a reason you play all nine innings.

Last edited by hfield007; 03-20-2013 at 12:05 AM.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #317
axezzy
Bat Boy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
It is people like that who when they lose in that fashion the game is horrible and they hate it and it is unrealistic... but when they are the team coming from behind like that and win in that fashion they would say the game is amazing and they never had a rush like that.

no, I would say the same thing, you don't use three warm pitchers and NOT score an out without raising the bull**** flag. Just like when I scored 11 runs in the first two innings and the opposition still put the same SP in the third inning? I knew it wasnt going to be the blowout that it appeared to be.

played 4 games into a season... my pitchers TOTAL strikeouts: 8 (as in EIGHT). Let's not count the "amazing" plays made by the opposition while their hitters would trickle base hits just out of reach of my fielders.

What I thought would be a great game for statisticians and baseball MANAGERS, turns out to no better than its StratOmatic predecessor. Loved being able to make trades as the GM, but the on the field play is horrible.

My suggestion for a demo would be a tutorial during gameplay (ie reminders that you might want to warm up your relief pitchers before your tired starters take the mound again, show how to work a count for batters, or positioning fielders to maximize your pitching situations). Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the opportunity to play before shelling out good amounts of coin!
axezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #318
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My suggestion for a demo would be a tutorial during gameplay (ie reminders that you might want to warm up your relief pitchers before your tired starters take the mound again, show how to work a count for batters, or positioning fielders to maximize your pitching situations). Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the opportunity to play before shelling out good amounts of coin!
This isn't exactly the game for the uneducated baseball fan. This is why there is no difficulty level to this game. What team were you? Who did you have on your staff, who did you play against? I have won the WS with the 2007 Pirates and lost 100 games with the 2005 White Sox. Don't expect things to happen as IRL unless you play out the game exactly as IRL.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #319
ondemonitors
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Classic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axezzy

Classic.

You see, this guy here, he is that guy. Don't be that guy.

No, my friend..THAT was classic!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #320
flaquis010285
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
This isn't exactly the game for the uneducated baseball fan. This is why there is no difficulty level to this game. What team were you? Who did you have on your staff, who did you play against? I have won the WS with the 2007 Pirates and lost 100 games with the 2005 White Sox. Don't expect things to happen as IRL unless you play out the game exactly as IRL.
The Pirates winning the World Series? Well, everything is possible in baseball. Overall, this is the beauty of sports.