Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

My take is that its harder to develop pitching and the volatility rate for miLB players is too high. Players that you draft that are 80 potential shouldn't change to 30 potential in six months. OF COURSE there are busts, and the rate of development of minor leaguers to become contributing MLB players is low IRL, but I think its especially low in OOTP.

I also think that GREAT pitchers IRL are not as dominant in OOTP as they are in real life. In summary, I think the engine does a better job of 'recreating' a hitter's season to potential than it does pitchers.

I also think that without money its almost impossible to build a good team. Now you'd say it is in real life, too. But it's not impossible. In online leagues you particularly see this. The teams with the biggest budgets are almost a 95% lock to win the pennant etc. I'd estimate in MLB its maybe more like 60%.

You just cannot develop your way into contention the way that I believe that you could IRL.

Last edited by Shoeless' Socks; 02-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #22
Waindizzle06
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
I think the game has gotten much tougher and I like it that way. I started playing on OOTP 7 and as much fun as that was, it was fairly easy to put together a dynasty. Now, I have to really work to build a winner. It makes the great teams I am able to put together more memorable because they don't happen as often!
Agreed. I still find it a bit easy to build a perennial contender, even with weaning myself away from using the player editor, but it's definitely started getting noticeably more challenging over the past couple versions and that makes me happy.
Waindizzle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:36 AM   #23
fcabanski
Minors (Double A)

Is the OP kidding?

The game is painfully easy to beat. I kept adding more and more house rules, but still could easily win 100 games a year and make the playoffs every season with many WS wins.

I returned 19 because it was more of the same - easy win after easy win.

It's not just that it's too easy to take advantage of the AI in trades. The AI doesn't build good teams - trades away young stars too easily, doesn't push for a top superstar to push over the top.

I tried giving the Yankees a top rated GM and Scout in every category; pushed all owner stats to demand a winner, spend spend spend; gave them a huge TV contract and huge fan base and huge park - won one WS in 40 years.

It gets tedious to win so easily and so often.
fcabanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #24
jmount78
Major Leagues

This version seems to be harder to win. There was a time when I could take my Braves to the World Series in a matter of a few seasons, now it takes longer and there is no guarantee I get there.
jmount78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #25
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski View Post
It's not just that it's too easy to take advantage of the AI in trades. The AI doesn't build good teams - trades away young stars too easily, doesn't push for a top superstar to push over the top.
Sounds like you need to adjust your AI evaluation settings.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcabanski View Post
Is the OP kidding?

The game is painfully easy to beat. I kept adding more and more house rules, but still could easily win 100 games a year and make the playoffs every season with many WS wins.

I returned 19 because it was more of the same - easy win after easy win.
You gave up on the wrong version. Up to 18 I could go worst-to-playoffs in 1-2 years, WS champ in 2-5. With 19 I'm making the playoffs barely in 2, then missing in year 3, and not getting anywhere near the rhythm of continual winning. Seems to have been one of the updates, not version 1.
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #27
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

I use lots of house rules and still have trouble not winning. I have to actively assist the AI (because as mentioned above it just doesn’t build very good teams) while actively resisting making the smartest decisions for my franchise. This isn’t a criticism of the game, but at the same time it is why I so much want the developers to work on the AI and ignore the temptation to add new features that will only make the AI worse by adding new layers of complexity
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #28
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

[
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote