Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Should he be promoted to the bigs with expanding rosters?
Yes, pull him up already 8 47.06%
No, leave him be unless injuries hit hard 9 52.94%
doesnt matter 0 0%
Aliens will steal him 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

callup or not?

i admit, its at this point a luxury problem.

the guy finished last year only in A+ ball, so him splitting a full year between AA and AAA isnt a bad thing. and if i had need, i would have called him up.
but need i dont have atm. my team has a 20+ game div lead.

is there any advantage of calling him up now (irl it would be to get his feet wet so he wouldnt be totally starstruck come next spring) ?
or should i just keep in AAA until next year when a spot opens up for him

any thoughts?
Attached Images

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I'd leave in AAA where he will get all the playing time and not be sitting on the bench.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #3
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

Plus it'll delay his service time so you can keep him a year longer in arbitration if you wait till maybe May or so to bring him up next year.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

delay of service -- not a problem as long as the time you use him will not be greater than >service days required for "1" year to accumulate. if he goes into next year with 171/172 needed, that delays it 1 year jsut as 1/172 would...

essentially any number < 172 (or whatever) is the same and "0" years. you can count how many days are left in season and figure it out. if they do not accumulate a full season then they are still "0" years for any contract and realted financial thing.

i'd 'get his feet wet' as long as it doesn't interfere with maximizing club control years. ml experience is a factor initially (a very small one and quickly dissipates)... it does not preclude success of course. getting their feet wet doesn't preclude a bad rookie year, either.

i'd bet if you used a spreadsheet you could show that a similary rated player has a slightly lower chance of ~normal results or better in their rookie year. that's how you'd prove ml experience is an effect, initially... could be wrong, but i'd wager money on this being true in ootp.

i'm not opposed to a september callups or even before playoff rosters are set, depending on rules. if they already have X-days and it will put them upto "1" year, i will not. i make very little use of sept call-ups...but, i do move a mil prospect up to mlb if 'too developed' for mil leagues. i don't rely on platoons ever, so i always have more roster flexibility as far as wilingness to move/dump/demote a bench player that isn't too importnat beside resting days / baserunning skills. i can sacrifice such a small portion of the total pie for a prospect any day and twice on sunday.

the $535k shouldn't be an issue, but if up against the top of your budget this year and next it could be in certain contexts.. unlikely, but a consideration nonetheless.

the biggest concern i will have in this situation is how developed is the player? am i hurting him by leaving in AAA? this guy looks well-developed. i'd almost certainly want to move him to MLB the moment i can avoid 1 year of service time, unless i am planning on using him as a starter the entire time. even then, still anice bonus to eek out another year of club control.

while it is smart and i recommend others to do it, i don't like my better players starting off with missing 2-3months their first year -- irrational of me. some chump i don't care how i impact their career.. but future hoF i don't like messing with them to be a cheapskate.

in this guy's case i'd almost certainly call him up during the year. lingering in AAA for an entire year could be detrimental to his development. he's only 22, so that helps. if he was similarly developed at the end of high-a the previous year, i'd be even more concerned about moving him to MLB.

i don't want them spenidng significant time in AAA at ~80+% development.

if this is the first year he looks "green" (color coded ratings), then i'd feel fairly safe about leaving him in AAA for the rest of the year... but, i would assuredly move him to 25-man offseason roster, immediately. time to use or trade before you ruin him.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I usually like to bring my guys up at the September call up so that they still get that rookie status the following year to qualify for Rookie of the Year

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
ThePretender
All Star Starter

If you're 20 games up you can wait until August 31 to call him up so he's on the playoff roster. He's not much of a LF defensively, how good do you think he could be at 1B? If you think he could be decent then let him learn the position in the minors.

Alternatively, trade one of your vets who you'd replace the prospect with now to fill another need, or just get more prospects for the future, and then call him up now.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
GoPedro99
All Star Reserve

bats nice but not a great fielder or runner. id use him as trade bait for a couple nice prospects
GoPedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Vezna31
All Star Starter

Good batter ratings, average fielder. I would do a Sept call up to give him a look, especially if you have weak minors.