Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #41
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
As for how: Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Rules > Amateur Draft Settings > Amateur Draft Number of Rounds/Import Players for X Rounds

...Set it up how you want it...2 or 3 drafts at 10-12 rounds, and then back down to 6.
More questions, I am going to kick off my RDL this weekend. When it comes to making that change, what date on the calendar do you go into the settings to make it? I like to have the draft pool announced in mid June as sort of a scouting period before the trade deadline since I plan on taking over a team in the 2nd or 3rd year. Same question about adjusting the years for the draft pool, I plan on stealing, I mean borrowing Italyprof's idea to narrow the years and slowly open it up to a wider range.
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #42
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I would say if you want it in the first year change the draft date right after the inaugural draft. I think you are going to get the the 1902's in June 1901 etc.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #43
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I would say if you want it in the first year change the draft date right after the inaugural draft. I think you are going to get the the 1902's in June 1901 etc.
Thank you but what I am trying to figure out is lets say I start my RDL and select that game only pull historic players from years 1901-1925. I set my draft to be November 15th and I am allowing for (after the inaugural draft) there to be enough players in future drafts to support 12 rounds. At some point in the future I want to expand the years players are pulled from and at some point lower the draft to support five rounds (not likely at the same time). So what I don't think I explained well enough is as you move towards the next season is there a specific date I need to make these changes on or by? I know its a different game but I play FHM4 in commish mode and any changes I want to make have to be done on July 1st only.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I also have FHM4 the rules in OOTP19 are not nearly as constrictive, my experience is that you can make changes at almost anytime during the year. I try to do most, if not all, at the start of the off season or during the preseason. I believe these times keep the changes "clean" when going from year to year. It works for me but your league, your way.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #45
Edster007
All Star Starter

I finally have a setup I like ran a test and have now officially started my RDL. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their input and answered my questions. I will be simming through the first season before taking over a team. Thanks all!
Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #46
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I finally have a setup I like ran a test and have now officially started my RDL. I just wanted to thank everyone who gave their input and answered my questions. I will be simming through the first season before taking over a team. Thanks all!
Awesome! I hope you enjoy a great way to play an OOTP historical game.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:10 AM   #47
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Awesome! I hope you enjoy a great way to play an OOTP historical game.
Through two seasons (I used 1984 for stats started in 1955) outside of 3B/AB being up 6% Historical accuracy is in good shape- almost everything else between .7 and 2% with a couple of low 3's. I am OK with that. Walks were up 3.5% which I rationalize as one additional free pass every third game.

About to choose the team and do my first draft as a GM. Looks like it will be the Yankees, about all they have is Ginger Beaumont and Graig Nettles (who in every test sim I ran was a beast) and a young Joe Jackson in reserve.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #48
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Through two seasons (I used 1984 for stats started in 1955) outside of 3B/AB being up 6% Historical accuracy is in good shape- almost everything else between .7 and 2% with a couple of low 3's. I am OK with that. Walks were up 3.5% which I rationalize as one additional free pass every third game.

About to choose the team and do my first draft as a GM. Looks like it will be the Yankees, about all they have is Ginger Beaumont and Graig Nettles (who in every test sim I ran was a beast) and a young Joe Jackson in reserve.
Yes. Graig Nettles absolutely rakes...And plays great defense at 3B. Good to hear your stats are coming out well.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #49
timmermac
Major Leagues

Quote:
How I set my league up is...complicated. I start in 1901 (by 1901 AL and NL were established IRL and things are a lot less messy than the 19th century was), but I use 1984 strategy settings and stats output for every season. This helps me avoid both deadball and bazookaball nonsense, and allows relief pitchers to actually do something instead of sitting down in the bullpen watching the starters throw CG after CG. I also take all players in the random debut database (i.e. 1871 through 2017) even though this goes against Markus' recommendations, because I just can't rule any of them out, even though the 19th century pitchers can be a bit beastly.

I use recalc plus development so that those players that run out of RL stats are subject to the player development engine, and don't just recalc ad infinitum based on their last season (this is only what I imagine happens - I don't know if it actually does). As for injuries I don't even look at individual injury ratings. I just turn them off and let what happens happen. I also never delay the injury diagnosis even though that's unrealistic and not really what happens IRL. I turn injuries on, set them to Normal (OOTP Classic), set position player fatigue to Average, and enable suspensions at normal frequency.

If I'm using Real Stats, I will use 5-year recalc double weighted for the current year, and if I'm using Neutralized Stats, I will use 3-year recalc double weighted for the current year. I base fielding ratings and pitcher stamina on a 3-year period rather than just the player's current year or the player's entire career.

How do you set it use both recalc and development? In the beginning with the wizard, I appear to have the option of either/or.

Crush the baseball. Drive it before you. And hear the lamentation of the opponent's women.

I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!
timmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 PM   #50
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac View Post
How do you set it use both recalc and development? In the beginning with the wizard, I appear to have the option of either/or.
From the wizard select the recalc option.

Once your game is created, you can decide whether you want development on or off and what talent change randomness you would like to use. At work, so can't say for sure, but I think development is on by default for any league in which "career" is chosen and off for leagues using "single year." Markus has advised against single year when it come to random debut, so you don't want to choose that to begin with.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #51
sprague
All Star Starter

Has anyone tried random debut with the spritze db?
So many more players, I would think you need 10-15 rounds of draft per year to cover the mass on entrants...
But would like a rd with all the negro and minor players in.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #52
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I import players into the draft from the Spritze database but I am a relative novice at importing; actionjackson has a smooth way of mixing in players from Spritze database in 42 year dynasty thread.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #53
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
I import players into the draft from the Spritze database but I am a relative novice at importing; actionjackson has a smooth way of mixing in players from Spritze database in 42 year dynasty thread.
This answer is for sprague, even though I referenced JaBurns in the quote above. That thread JaBurns is referring to is here. It's a lot of reading, but there are some good discussions in there about historical random debut games. I use the default MLB database, but sprinkle in some Spritze guys as I go. I use about 1 Spritze guy for every 40ish of the default guys using the import tool. Don't want to squeeze out the guys who played in MLB IRL with too many Spritze guys, but I do want some to be there. With the exception of the inaugural draft (because everyone in there comes in at a random stage of their career), I'll probably use the Spritze DB in amateur drafts to give guys like Satchel Paige, Monte Irvin, Jackie Robinson, Roy Campanella, Ichiro, etc, etc, etc longer MLB careers as a what if exercise.

For a typical inaugural draft, you get 44 players per team. I bump that to 45 by importing 16 Spritze guys (for 16 teams in 1901). I include at least two Negro Leaguers in that crop. Then in every amateur draft I'll bring in two Spritze guys (including at least one Negro Leaguer). I select these guys using a random number generator and an old Spritze master.csv file (from OOTP17 I think...Wasn't able to find OOTP18 master, so that's what I use). I've had Oscar Charleston and other lesser Negro Leaguers come in in that OOTP16 game that the thread above references, and it's been fun to see them mix in with the MLB guys.

I have not tried random debut with the Spritze database in its entirety though, so I'm not sure I can help you there. I typically use a five round draft, except in seasons that are before the expansion seasons of 1961, 1962, 1969, 1977, 1993, and 1998 (i.e. the 1960, 1961, 1968, 1976, 1992, and 1997 amateur drafts when the new teams have their first seat at the draft table). In those years, I extend it to six rounds. I use unlimited reserve rosters though, so if you're thinking of a minor league setup, I'm not sure how much help I can be to you there. Let me know if you have anymore questions though.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #54
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I am thinking of waiting for Sir Sprtize's new database before I start my new HRD big boy league.

Anything that I should look or look out for in the setup?

May even graduate to mass importing players and using a random number generator! OMG I have set my sights high for this league be prepared for many dumb questions after the new database is released....
Old 05-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #55
timmermac
Major Leagues

How would I import Andy Hazlett, a minor-league lefty that the Red Sox drafted IRL that I graduated from high school with?

Crush the baseball. Drive it before you. And hear the lamentation of the opponent's women.

I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!
Old 05-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #56
JaBurns
All Star Starter

He is on my list, do you have a player id, I will import him in my current test league. I am getting ready for the 1916 draft.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #57
timmermac
Major Leagues

hazlet001and

Old 05-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #58
JaBurns
All Star Starter

First question: I seem to have about a dozen free agents appearing at the end of every regular season. World Series is just beginning for me in 1915 and when I check the free agent list it has expanded; I caught by checking for one my foibles, nicknames, the 5 or 6 I fixed all had a real debut year of 1916.

Have I got a setting messed up or am I imagining things? Wont be the first time.

And I haven't even got the new database yet I may become a real PITA.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #59
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac View Post
hazlet001and
He is in the next draft.

Last edited by JaBurns; 05-05-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #60
JaBurns
All Star Starter

He is in my league, if you want I give you updates.

Name:  77test1_1915-11-16_10-57-34.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  272.7 KB